PDA

View Full Version : Misc Has anyone ever taken online college courses???

TeeJay
11-13-2006, 02:40 PM
or has anyone gotten a degree this way?? i reaaaally need to go back to school, i mean i have a decent paying job and all but i feel like i could be doing so much more at age 26, so i really wanna go back to school. i havent been since i dropped out of automotive tech classes in 03. i live a really busy life and i dont think i have time to drive to classes and sit in traffic going back and forth from work to school and vice versa, so i am strongly considering taking the online program at ECPI tech school. i feel like i am self motivated enough to do it online, unsupervised, and i think it would be easier to me since i could "attend" class while im at work and knock out 2 birds with one stone lol. so basically im asking if anyone has done this or has any knowledge on this, and how hard it would be compared to in class programs. im new to all this, so help me out folk. i will be going for an associates degree in electronics engineering. LMK FTW!!!

TeeJay
11-15-2006, 12:40 PM
good talk guys

hemi
11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
no

GIXXERDK
11-15-2006, 01:37 PM
It really depends on the course itself.. If your in higher level classes I really don't recommend it..

TheChosenOne
11-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Im taking a high school class online and the main thing thats going to determine whether you do good or not is all on your work ethic. You've gotta teach yourself everything. I mean, its all in the book, but if you get stuck and after 5 minutes you just say fuck it, then its not for you. But thats high school, college could be different. I personally would rather just go to school and do it.:2cents:

JennB
11-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I took a couple just to keep from having to drive to campus for certain classes. It was simple, lower classes like a history and a film class. I would no recommend it for things you will need to know after college cause I didn't learn a damn thing in them.

It's also much better to have someone in front of you so you can ask questions and to have a schedule. Or at least I think so.

It might work though, you never know.

CSquared
11-15-2006, 04:33 PM
I took a few of them... easy as fuck but i didn't retain anything i "learned".

I sat there and took the tests with an open book... It was a joke really.

TeeJay
11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
hmmm, i just registered so we shall see lol

KPowerEP3
11-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I graduated early HS after the first semester of the 03/04 school year. I got accepted to GA Tech as a freshman, I decided to go, I went for a year, I made decent grades, got started towrds my BSCE, except I didn't really like it, and I wanted money so I got a job. I regretted quitting up until about a year ago, when I started doing University of Phoenix Online. I switched my major to business finance, carried over my credits, and I'm only about 3 months away from having a 4 year business degree. It's not easy at times, but I really enjoy it, I take - MAYBE- an hour a day, do what I have to do, it's all forum based. If you need to keep working, but want your degree, and you HONESTLY think you can keep yourself on track, then I think it's great if you hook up with a decent institution.

Cramer said something about it being a joke, and being easy and open book, yeah, all of that is true, but who cares? what matters is that you get that piece of paper from an accredited school.

con
11-16-2006, 07:03 AM
they're just so damn'd expensive..........$1,000+ per course........

TeeJay
11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I graduated early HS after the first semester of the 03/04 school year. I got accepted to GA Tech as a freshman, I decided to go, I went for a year, I made decent grades, got started towrds my BSCE, except I didn't really like it, and I wanted money so I got a job. I regretted quitting up until about a year ago, when I started doing University of Phoenix Online. I switched my major to business finance, carried over my credits, and I'm only about 3 months away from having a 4 year business degree. It's not easy at times, but I really enjoy it, I take - MAYBE- an hour a day, do what I have to do, it's all forum based. If you need to keep working, but want your degree, and you HONESTLY think you can keep yourself on track, then I think it's great if you hook up with a decent institution.

Cramer said something about it being a joke, and being easy and open book, yeah, all of that is true, but who cares? what matters is that you get that piece of paper from an accredited school.
nice, man!! yea i understand that all that matters is that you get that piece of paper, but i actually wanna get something from it too. sure itll be easier to get a job in that field with a degree, but if i didnt retain anything then im gonna have a tough time keeping that job, ya know?? thats what im really worried about. but oh well, i already signed up and classes start in early jan, so we'll see how it goes

TeeJay
11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
they're just so damn'd expensive..........$1,000+ per course........
ECPI online is $11,400 per year

pworld14
11-16-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm actually taking a class online now too.....the only thing that I find a little dificult is keeping focused to log on and take care of my school work. There are plenty of times that I can see myself doing something better than hitting the books. It all depends on the person, how disciplined or not you are.

TeeJay
11-16-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm actually taking a class online now too.....the only thing that I find a little dificult is keeping focused to log on and take care of my school work. There are plenty of times that I can see myself doing something better than hitting the books. It all depends on the person, how disciplined or not you are.
with me its about time more than discipline, so considering the fact that i have internet access at work, i can more than likely do all my classwork while at work, instead of whoring up IA all day, although it may be harder than i think to stop whoring up IA and do classwork lol