PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods H22 build...

SixSquared
11-12-2006, 07:11 PM
k here's the deal.. I'm getting a bare H22 block and a complete head from a friend who owes me some money, but has no cash, so I told him I'd take the motor. This works for me because I'm wanting to move up to an H22 anyways for ye ol' del Sol. Couple of conversation topics about the build that will be ensuing...

1. I'm eventually going to be boosting it, but for now it will be n/a, so I need a build that will be a good build for the eventual boost, but will also make decent power n/a. What kind of compression numbers should I look for?

2. The head is complete, so I'm not too worried about it right now. It's mainly the bottom end (rods, pistons, etc) that I'm gonna be delving into right now. I don't want to sleeve the motor if I can avoid it, but if I have to I have to. I'd rather not, though... what brand combinations do you guys suggest for the guts?

3. (Prelude people) should I look for a H22 trans, or is there a better trans out there for this motor? I considered doing the H2B kit, but that's a pain in the ass to do, so I'm looking for a lude transmission... I know in the B series world, the type r trans is the desired one, cause of the limited slip. Which trans should I look for? Any of 'em limited slip? if not, I know I can buy a diff for them, but I would prefer to keep build time down since I'm in school.

4. What axles do you guys recommend? Everyone who I've talked to who has put an H22 in a del Sol has said to go aftermarket on axles. Just wondering what the common favorite here is.

My budget on the build is gonna be around $1500, so I can't do anything totally outrageous (yet). As I said, the main concern is the guts. I can worry about headwork later on, once the motor is in and running. I'm just trying to do all the stuff that is a pain in the ass to do with the motor in the car.

Thanks! Stay tuned for updates on my quest to own the fastest del Sol on the east coast! (thank GOD Matt Stover sold his del Sol lmao)

Kyle
11-12-2006, 07:11 PM
You need to have an abridged version. That's too much for me to read.

The BUCKY
11-12-2006, 07:17 PM
the type r is really not that great for turbo. the gears are really short but alot of people run it.

LS2ner
11-12-2006, 07:36 PM
From what ive read, the ITR limited slip is mild at best. For boost, I think the LS tranny is better. You could order a JDM tranny also with a LSD. And, Ive read that H22 cylinder walls dont like boost much.

o_bomb
11-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Im doing the same thing! If u are trying to boost later go with low compression pistons and just live with your car not makin enough power!! as for sleeves... bro your gonna need them if u plan on boosting the h22! I have a spare h22 like u and also one in my accord as a daily driver and im building the spare one! Ive already got it sleeved! If u want to go fast with boost and the h22 it HAS to be built! Im in the same boat as u, but ive found someone with stock bottom end h22 boost and his car has been down for months cuz he blew it! plus it was tuned! boosted h22 the bottom has to be built, pistons, rods, sleeves, and rings are a must when boosting the h22! hope this helps. keep me updated

o_bomb
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
I heard the f22 tranny is awesome with a boosted setup, but im keeping the h22 tranny. I dont think lsd will fit in the f22 tranny! Go with the H tranny! And Im using my stock axles! Are u really trying to put all this in a delsol? Go with 9:0 compression! Keep me updated!

LS2ner
11-13-2006, 06:56 PM
bro your gonna need them if u plan on boosting the h22!

Your in for a rude awakening with this comment lol.

o_bomb
11-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Your in for a rude awakening with this comment lol.

what do u mean? U know people boosting 9-10lbs with a unsleeved h22? If so Im real interested on how long it lasted. I mean when I plan on boosting I want more then just 5-6lbs!

o_bomb
11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
stock h22 sleeves and pistonrings suck if u want boost!

o_bomb
11-13-2006, 10:20 PM
gsr tranny will give u more omph on topend, ls gives u long gears to hold power longer! coming from a accord/prelude guy i would go for the H tranny, but your doin this in a delsol so... I dont know

o_bomb
11-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Ive read that H22 cylinder walls dont like boost much.

correct:goodjob:

LS2ner
11-14-2006, 06:17 AM
I misunderstood what i meant. As for the tranny's, Em said she heard the Type r was the tranny to have cuz it has an LSD. I was trying to say that boost wise, and depending on what you want your power band to be, it would vary. And when i said ordering a JDM one with an LSD i meant a h22.

As for the quote i posted. Phantomsol is a girl.

o_bomb
11-14-2006, 11:43 AM
OOOO sry I did not know she was a girl! Im sorry! Keep me updated anyway!

LS2ner
11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Lol, Thats why i quoted what you said. Cause i figured you wouldnt get it right off the bat lol.

Vteckidd
11-14-2006, 12:39 PM
if the motor is alreadyh apart, id buy MAHLE pistons so you dont have to sleeve and Eagle Rods.

Tranny wise, id buy a F22 or H22. LSD is a plus, but not a neccesity.

Personally, i would just boost your GSR, but thats me.

2.0civic
11-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Your in for a rude awakening with this comment lol.lol at emily being a bro

LS2ner
11-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Lol Yea.. i found it amusing it too.

o_bomb
11-14-2006, 05:07 PM
LOL!!^^

o_bomb
11-14-2006, 08:02 PM
keep us updated!

o_bomb
11-15-2006, 07:19 PM
:( any info??

93H22ACX
11-16-2006, 07:25 AM
its actually not the sleeves that do not like boost. its the ringlands on the piston that are the weak point in the H motors. I've heard people say its actually stronger then the B-series stock sleeves..... But most of the time its the pistons that give out..... the sleeves dont like forged pistons.

For boosted application i would go with a H22 tranny but if you can find a H23 i'd do that just because its a bit longger then the H22.... IF you plan on making a shitload of power and race it at the track.... go with the H23 if you dont plan on reving it 9500+rpm's cause i top out of 4th gear sometimes and shifting to 5th will slow you down.

Axles would be DSS if not, atleast get gators.

$1500 wont be enough if you plan on having a shop build it for you....it might be enough if you plan on doing it yourself.

Pistons= $400+
Rods = $300+
Transmission=$300+
Bearings = $100
Machine work= $200+
Gasket set = $150+

You are already at close to $1500.

o_bomb
11-16-2006, 10:34 PM
its actually not the sleeves that do not like boost. its the ringlands on the piston that are the weak point in the H motors. I've heard people say its actually stronger then the B-series stock sleeves..... But most of the time its the pistons that give out..... the sleeves dont like forged pistons.

For boosted application i would go with a H22 tranny but if you can find a H23 i'd do that just because its a bit longger then the H22.... IF you plan on making a shitload of power and race it at the track.... go with the H23 if you dont plan on reving it 9500+rpm's cause i top out of 4th gear sometimes and shifting to 5th will slow you down.

Axles would be DSS if not, atleast get gators.

$1500 wont be enough if you plan on having a shop build it for you....it might be enough if you plan on doing it yourself.

Pistons= $400+
Rods = $300+
Transmission=$300+
Bearings = $100
Machine work= $200+
Gasket set = $150+

You are already at close to $1500.

Yeah your right, but with any boosted application with the h22 u want to build! Forged pistons with FRM? your going to have more flakes then a human that has not washed their hair in centuries!!:2cents:

SL65AMG
11-17-2006, 06:42 AM
http://www.exospeed.com/category.php?id=154

send em your block....

93H22ACX
11-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Yeah your right, but with any boosted application with the h22 u want to build! Forged pistons with FRM? your going to have more flakes then a human that has not washed their hair in centuries!!:2cents:

thats why you either used FRM compatible pistons or sleeve it.

LS2ner
11-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for clearing up the false information :) I wasnt completely sure. I just knew that something about the sleeves was wierd. I never knew it was the ringlands..

93H22ACX
11-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks for clearing up the false information :) I wasnt completely sure. I just knew that something about the sleeves was wierd. I never knew it was the ringlands..

not a problem... there will be something wrong with the sleeves if you use forged pistons that is not compatible with the FRM sleeves. The only pistons that i am aware of that has been working well for the H22 sleeves are the Mahle Pistons. I know a guy from H-T named Tyler Herra that has been using it for a good bit with stock sleeves and boosting about 37+psi....then he went to K-series

AnclyT
11-17-2006, 08:37 PM
my friend has an h22 tranny for sale still.. no grinds from a 1998 prelude..

not sure of tranny code, but guessing m2f4 or m2y4

o_bomb
11-17-2006, 09:58 PM

anytime bro!!:goodjob: :cheers:

o_bomb
11-17-2006, 10:01 PM
not a problem... there will be something wrong with the sleeves if you use forged pistons that is not compatible with the FRM sleeves. The only pistons that i am aware of that has been working well for the H22 sleeves are the Mahle Pistons. I know a guy from H-T named Tyler Herra that has been using it for a good bit with stock sleeves and boosting about 37+psi....then he went to K-series

boosting 37psi with stock sleeves and mahle piston??? Damn that shit is crazy unheardof WOW!! Which honda tuning guy did this! Tyler Herra?? I gots to look that up!! THAT IS CRAZY!!:???:

93H22ACX
11-17-2006, 10:19 PM
boosting 37psi with stock sleeves and mahle piston??? Damn that shit is crazy unheardof WOW!! Which honda tuning guy did this! Tyler Herra?? I gots to look that up!! THAT IS CRAZY!!:???:

i dont see why its crazy.... decent sleeve strength and forged pistons compatible with h22 sleeves along with a good tune..... will yield good power. Tyler works for AEM i believe.

If you need more information google does wonders :D