PDA

View Full Version : Buy a car, need help on decision

ATK_Designs
06-03-2005, 09:53 PM

Me: Operation Engineer, 50K/yr. Turning 22 this 8th. Only child, live with parents, have a fiance.
Cars: Totalled 94 Black accord june 1st. One 94 White accord with h22 swap waiting to be fixed, bought from Ken Chantz. So no transporation as of now.
Have: Addition H22 swap lay around with parts ready to rebuild and bullet proof for turbo.
Goal: Having a 400whp car that's all show (luxury look) and all go as a wedding present to my fiance.
Fiance: Like the 6th Gen accord coupe (98-02). Doesn't want me to spend a lot money on car.
Initial Goal: white accord = daily driver, black accord = fix up as wedding present. This goal is no longer valid.

So my confusion is on what to do:

1. Buy a 99 Accord (red) coupe, 115K miles, 4cyl, manual. Stock. $6000. WIll be use as my daily until I get the chance to finish fixing the white car then will work on this red car. Rebuild the H22, + Full race GT35R turbo kit. Easy to swap into the red accord since it's a manual. Full SQ system (Elemental Design powered system) and Custom fiberglass interior. Subtle and nice looking exterior (Not outrageous body kit). Save money on insurance (being under 25 with couple tickets). Fun :)

2. Buy my dad a new Minivan, Odyssey?. Use his 95 camry as temp driver. Repair the white accord. Sell the camry, and drive the white 94 accord. Save money till I turn 25 and buy a new Inifiniti GT-R or whatever nice looking car. Sell the H22 swap + rebuild parts. Forget about "fix-up" cars and involving in car scene. super :(

3. Buy a G35 since I like this car. Lux, fast, all options. Just need a sound system upgrade and some Volks shoes. :) Pay for outrageous insurance. Don't have to work on car that much. Fix the white accord to use as daily. Sell the H22 swap + rebuild parts. :(

I don't know what to do. I really like to do option 1. I like doing a lot of things to car (mostly by myself because I enjoy working on it). I know that I can afford any car now, but in my view, they just not worth it because insurance will jack me up very high.

Please give me you recommendation. Btw, I don't really like buying used high end car (like S2k, G35, Z350, A46, etc.) I rather buy these new.

My goal: Don't have to spend a lot, cheap insurance, have a sexy and luxury looking car that's fast.

Thanks a lot :)

edit: Going to get married: 2 years from now.
Having kids: 4-5 Years from now. At least 27-28 yrs old.
House: I paid 1/2 for the current one. Now the rest belongs to my parents. Will buy a house in the future. 3-4 years at least down the road.

ruah_23
06-03-2005, 10:00 PM
When are u planning to get married, buy a house and have kids?
If the answer is less than a year, I vote Option #2.If the ans are more than 3-4 yrs than it won't hurt you to get a G35.

Gd luck

uproot
06-03-2005, 10:03 PM
if you really enjoy working on cars that much i'd say go with option 1. that is if you are seriously able to afford doing it.

i figure if you choose any of the other options, you'd probably eventually go back to option 1 or somethin like it.

ATK_Designs
06-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Gonna get married: 2 years from now
Kids: 3-4 years from now

Eli
06-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Hmm.. before I'd ever think about buying a nice car I'd wanna not be living with my parents... but thats just a personal thing i guess?

Cliff
06-03-2005, 10:12 PM
sell the accords sell the swaps buy you a g35 with some volks like you want and enjoy life

ruah_23
06-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Gonna get married: 2 years from now
Kids: 3-4 years from now

If u can paid off half of the G35 before u get married, than go ahead to the dealership.

Ex_Vtec_Girl
06-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Hmm.. before I'd ever think about buying a nice car I'd wanna not be living with my parents... but thats just a personal thing i guess?

that's what i was thinking...

ATK_Designs
06-03-2005, 10:18 PM
If u can paid off half of the G35 before u get married, than go ahead to the dealership.

I don't think I can pay the G35 off within 2 years :D I still have house payment to do and student loans and other stuff as well. :D

Eli
06-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Debt- its the American way :rolleyes:

just get something you can afford and be happy with, gotta find the happy medium.

ATK_Designs
06-03-2005, 10:22 PM

I thought about that too. But being the only child, I'd have to take care of my parents. It's the Vietnamese traditional thinggy. Plus I feel bad if I move out by myself, then leaving them alone.

Save the living cost a lot too. :D I'd only have to worry about the house payment as of now.

Eli
06-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I thought about that too. But being the only child, I'd have to take care of my parents. It's the Vietnamese traditional thinggy. Plus I feel bad if I move out by myself, then leaving them alone.

Save the living cost a lot too. :D I'd only have to worry about the house payment as of now.

Feel bad about leaving them and letting them be alone? Are you kidding? Maybe its just my family, but both sets of parents (both remarried) are thankful to have time to themselves and are thankful for the fact that both their children live on their own and are happy.

I dunno, just a cultural difference I guess, I just couldnt imagine being stuck living with my parents, and I dont think they could imagine being stuck living with me forever :lmfao: hahaha

Good luck though man, not trying to give you shit or anything.

ATK_Designs
06-03-2005, 10:47 PM
It's all cool man. I guess it's the cultural difference and responsibility thingy :)

btw, for option 1 and 3, I want something to look this nice:

Talk about $20K vs $50K (totals)

chrisdavis
06-04-2005, 09:03 AM
I am at the point to where I hate to work on cars, so I would go buy a new car. So I guess option 3

HyPer50
06-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Wow, making 50k a year and living with your parents? I'm jealous = ( Of both parts hehe

Julio
06-04-2005, 10:03 AM
I was in pretty much the same boat as you.. Living at home, making over 50, modifying cars, and paying some bills, etc.
While I was doing that, I just made sure I had a good daily driver to move around while I modified the Civic.
I really didnt care what I drove everyday aslong as it was a good car, didnt care much about modifying the daily driver.

tony
06-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I feel your pain and was in the same situation except for the parents. I ended up buying the G35 with no intentions on modifying just as you said, let me tell you.. you WILL modify the car, dont even try to convince yourself otherwise.

I had the idea to wait for the GTR myself but it supposedly wont be revealed till about 2007 and you know nissan/infiniti will put a crazy mark up on them when they do come out. At this point the only thing that would appeal to me is the AWD, other than that you'd probably be buying something similar to what you could do to the G35 at a cheaper price.

A used G35 wouldn't be a bad route to go, many owners who have taken care of their car are looking to trade up to an 05 because they think 298hp is so much better than 280hp (although there is a loss of torque) and plus the brembo brakes aren't an option any more. I say go with option 3, get the G35 as the NICE project or even just a weekend car and keep a daily driver.

And I do understand the parent thing, I bought a bigger house to accomodate my mother rather than have her go to one of those senior homes, I've had to fix phone lines in those places and I couldn't imagine her having to live there.

ATK_Designs
06-04-2005, 12:07 PM
I tod myself to get the G35 and forget about modifying it. May be some new shoes and a nice system, but I KNOW for sure that I'll be spending money on it. So I don't know yet. I've already have a perfect turbo plan listed for it too. (I was mocking up a performance upgrade list for my friend with his 350Z). So I still have that copy. :p And I'm affraid that I'll be spending like crazy. :(

We went out today, looking for some good minivans for my dad. Weren't able to find any, and my neck still hurts :(.

tony
06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
It does get expensive, I'm ashamed to say how much I've put in my car but I could've put a nice down payment on a new Z06 by now. But if you ever want a ride in a turbo G35 let me know, mine is putting down right at 400whp just like you said.. I'll probably be at the targer meet tonight.

Jkuao
06-04-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm roughly in the same place as you. Similar salary, little debt, and living w/ my brother for very little rent right now. My parents want me to move back w/ them since they have an otherwise empty 7 bedroom house but I just can't deal with the commute so I'll probably have a $600 a month apt soon.

I do have the benefit of a very reliable daily driver ('99 Prelude I've had since new).

Being an econ major though, I ran the numbers as soon as I had a job offer and as a single person you're very screwed in terms of taxes and disposable income as a result. If you dump a decent amount into the 401k and put away for a house, you don't have all that much left to spend on a new sports car and its requisite insurance. Most financial advisors don't recommend exceeding 8% of gross salary for a car payment which puts it just over $300 a month and that'll barely buy a base Accord new. Seeing as to how the avg American spends ~20% but ends up with a very limited retirement portfolio or 50k in debt when they die I just can't justify buying a G coupe or even the E90 I've had my eye on...at least not yet.

Trying to leave a G alone is going to be tough. Sure some deep lip on the Volks would look hot but then you have to drop it to make it look right and there goes another $1200-1500 on coilovers. Then the torque isn't there to spin those 60lb wheels and another 5k for a Greddy TT just seems so tempting.

I thought about going with an S13 shell and building a VQ powered show/track car but I'll end up with a 15 year old car that I spent 30-40k on and no ability to recoup those costs. Instead, I'll probably just end up getting my Volks refinished, repaint the car, and maybe build the H22 if I really want something fast.

ATK_Designs
06-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Guys, Look like I will end up with option 2. Earlier, we stopped by a local dealer. They have a 2000 Toyota Sienna LE, 110k miles, Clean Exterior, interior, engine. CD with steering wheel control, power sliding side doors, etc. Overall, look really nice, and the engine is very quiet. We talked and they quoted us $8,667 OTD. Then will do a complete maintenance upgrade (timming, alternator, PS belts, seals, pumps, spark plugs, wires, etc.) for additional $300. So the Total cost would be ~9,000. My dad really likes it.

What do y'all think?

Btw, they offer free maintenance check and tune up for 1 year (oil changes, tires rotation, etc). :)

MitsuEvo6
06-05-2005, 12:56 AM
get the g35..but then again..thats what im lookin into soon, so...i guess im a lil biased.

Kevykev
06-05-2005, 09:51 AM
2 will be the safest in the long run while still meeting your needs.

ATK_Designs
06-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks y'all. Option 2 is now completed. I bought for my dad a minivan, 2000 Sienna LE, 8800 OTD (tag, title, fees, new timming belt and every tune ups). Seems nice, clean exterior, VERY CLEED Interior. Engine is still good and very quiet though it's at 111k miles.

I'll use the 95 Camry as my daily beater (100mi/day). Repairing the white accord in progress. Then I might end up selling the camry and use the accord as a beater and get somthing else by then (g35?). Prolly gonna take couple months, if not, till the end of this year :D

Thank you all again :) IA is a very helpful community.