PDA

View Full Version : Random Best Dog Training

kittychick
11-10-2006, 02:12 PM
This video shows the best dog training video I've seen on the web
if you watch his movements closely- there's a lot to learn!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pMkXXVO5d5c

brads94accord
11-10-2006, 02:29 PM
the only thing I don't like about his style is that he gives treats after everything. That should be more random in my opinion so the dog doesn't think he only has to do it when there is a treat involved.

Nittanys1
11-10-2006, 02:38 PM
the dog learns from positive reinforcement. giving them the treat just reinforced that what they just did i what you were wanting them to do.

eS_05
11-10-2006, 02:48 PM
nice dog..... hes smarter than some people here on I.A.!!!!! lol :lmfao:

:yes:

J/K:doh:

brads94accord
11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
the dog learns from positive reinforcement. giving them the treat just reinforced that what they just did i what you were wanting them to do.

i understand that, but there are other ways to reinforce other than a treat. I just feel that the dog will learn that they only have to do it when there is a treat.

according to our dog trainers style she likes to give treats at random and the other times use praise, that way the dog doesnt begin to think he doesn't have to do the trick when there is no treat.

At the beginning i do believe you should use treats but begin to ween the dog away from them...his dog in the video seemed to be trained very well so i dont feel he should always use a treat. but hey thats his style and if it works for him then cool.

Dragonfly5338
11-10-2006, 03:33 PM
the only thing I don't like about his style is that he gives treats after everything. That should be more random in my opinion so the dog doesn't think he only has to do it when there is a treat involved.

X2.

The most powerful behavior modifying technique comes with randomly giving out treats. It's the same idea as a slot machine - that idea of not knowing if you're going to get a reward or not is really really powerful.

However, when first training a certain behavior with a dog, it's good to treat him every time until he learns exactly what behavior you want him to do with a certain command. Once he gets that then the random treats should kick in. :)

Only take dog advice from Brad, Ren or I. We're the only three on IA that seem to have any idea what so ever about dog care/training hahaha. ;)

Nittanys1
11-10-2006, 03:34 PM
you dont always have to hand out treats, clapping and petting and praising are other methods....I also never said anything about randomly handing out treats..

The Golden Child
11-10-2006, 04:37 PM
thats cool ..

kittychick
11-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Some dogs are very food motivate (overly so). But others are more incline to do things for a toy or "petting" reward.

My dog is not very treat motivated (we save them for special occasions). He loves his tennis ball- he'll do anything for me to toss it.

I personally feel that if your dog reacts well to treats- why not give him treats? If you think the dog will become over weight from eating too many treats- then cut back on the food you feed for meals. Its all about balance.

Considering the age of the puppy- I think treats were the best to motivate him. He did a great job for his age!

SixSquared
11-12-2006, 09:58 AM
When dogs are at that age, if they have a strong bond with their owner, all that they want to do is please, please, please. I trained my dog for agility trials and only used treats twice. All the other times were rewarded with playing, petting, verbal praise, and/or a non-food "treat". She loved playing tug of war with my socks, so after a particularly good run, we would play tug of war for a while. I started training her at 8 months old, and it took about 3 months of daily training to get her doing the course cleanly.

In that vid, I don't agree with him having a satchel of treats in plain sight of the dog... dogs aren't stupid.. they know that the little black thing on the human's back means food. When I was working with Ouija, and when I'm working with any dog for that matter, I ALWAYS keep treats in a bag in my pocket. That way the dog has no visual/odor indicator about whether or not I am carrying treats or not. I'm not dissing the guy, the dog seems very well trained, but I'd be curious to see how much difference there would be if he was not wearing the visible treat pouch.