PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Vteckidd or ...

Dirty Octopus™
11-09-2006, 03:24 PM
anyone with a knowledge of Hondas...

Ive been recently told that I need to get some "GSR Main Caps".
Now heres my question...
Are the GSR main caps equivalent to all VTEC applications? or are they a totally different.
Any help would... help?
BTW if by chance anyone has main caps for sale please let me know.

Vteckidd
11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
what motor is this ?

USUALLY all main caps STAY with the motor, you DO NOT MIX AND MATCH from different motors. IE if you have a GSR, you dont use ANOTHER GSRs main caps unless you have the block line honed or bored.

The main caps are machined PER motor, same with the rod caps, an you dont want to mix an match.

if you MUST, PLASTIGAUGE an check your clearances at the minimum.

GSRs use a Main Girdle, LS does not an neither does the b16. girdles are overrated anyway

§treet_§peed
11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Mike ftw once again....

Dirty Octopus™
11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
what motor is this ?

USUALLY all main caps STAY with the motor, you DO NOT MIX AND MATCH from different motors. IE if you have a GSR, you dont use ANOTHER GSRs main caps unless you have the block line honed or bored.

The main caps are machined PER motor, same with the rod caps, an you dont want to mix an match.

if you MUST, PLASTIGAUGE an check your clearances at the minimum.

GSRs use a Main Girdle, LS does not an neither does the b16. girdles are overrated anyway

The motor is a GSR, i was told that i could get a GSR block for $150 if i could just get some GSR Mian Caps. Now i figured that would be a bargain but i just wanted to know exactly what needed to be done to make this a deal come true if you will. Now the block will eventually be sent to get sleeved and what not but i dont exactly know what that entails. ie i dont know if a hone is apart of the sleeving process, seeing that ive never had a block sleeved.

if you think this is too much of a burden would you by chance have any GSR blocks hanging around? Do you come across them often?

Thanks in advance for everything Mike :goodjob:

JDMBeau
11-09-2006, 05:57 PM
the hone on the cly sleeves are part of the process. but what you will need is "line honing" where the maincaps hold the crank in to make sure everything is in spec.

HiPSI
11-09-2006, 08:31 PM
will need is "line honing"

the proper term is "align hone".

basically all of the main caps get torqued into place then they use a special bit to make sure everything is perfectly straight and evenly round so the crank stays happy. this must be performed any time you change the caps/block or you run the risk of bearing failure or destroying your crank.

Z U L8R
11-09-2006, 09:04 PM
basically if it's not a complete short block or at least a block with caps and a crankshaft don't get it unless you have a good friend at the machine shop

Vteckidd
11-09-2006, 09:08 PM
line hone, align hone, same shit :P