PDA

View Full Version : IA Morals: In this situation, who is responsible and what should happen?

ct9a gsr
11-04-2006, 03:44 PM
To simplify the story, the two characters involved will be named John and Smith.

The Story:

John and Smith have been good friends for a couple of years now at least. John asks Smith one morning if he can borrow Smith's vehicle to go grab some food as John does not have a car and is at Smith's house. Smith agrees and trusts John to drive his turbo 240sx while Smith stays home. After some time passes, John returns to Smith's house with bad news. An intercooler pipe has popped off of Smith's car as John was driving it. Not only did it pop off, but its also missing now. Smith tells John to go drive back and get the pipe so he can put it back on the car. John agrees and off he goes again while Smith stays home. Another some odd time goes by and John returns with a mangled intercooler pipe. He says that the pipe was run over. The pipe is so mangled that it can't be bent back into shape and is made of steel. The 240sx runs but should not be driven due to the missing pipe and can not make any boost until repaired.

The Situation:

John feels that he has absolutely no fault in the situation. He states that he was driving normally and the intercooler pipe randomly disengaged itself from the car completely. John states that it is not his fault that he was driving a broken/faulty car that has a pipe pop off by itself... after all, he was only driving the car normally just to get food. However, since John is Smith's friend, he offers $30 to Smith as restitution for the misfortune and tells Smith to use it to go get the car fixed in whatever means neccessary. John explains that he does not know much about car parts and replacing them so Smith should find a way to fix the car himself since Smith is more knowledgeable about cars.

Smith has been driving the car for over a month without any type of problem at all and knows that the intercooler pipe should not just randomly disengage itself completely from the car. Smith feels that John should taike full resonsibility of the situation since John was the one to request permission to drive the car and granted the permission. Smith feels that there should be no reason why he should have to spend the time and resources to fix his car when John was the one driving it while it broke, regardless of the explanation that the pipe popped off randomly coincidently while under the control of John. However, since Smith is John's friend, he refuses to argue the situation any further and thinks of what to do next.

The Questions:

If you were John, what would you offer to do, if anything different, for Smith in lieu of the situation?

If you were Smith, what would you expect and/or request of John, if anything different, in lieu of the situation?

In your opinion, who's responsible for the misfortune?

In your opinion, what should each party do?

I'm curious as to what IA ppl think of this situation... gimme some feedback, thanks.

wantboost
11-04-2006, 03:50 PM
moral to the story; dont let others drive your car. Not many good things come from it.

~The_Duke~
11-04-2006, 03:53 PM
I think John should pay for part of the repairs and smith should pay for the other part 50\50, and they should purchase the parts and be friends and work together to put the part onto the car. Yes the pipe shouldnt have popped off during normal driving (why smith should pay for part), but John was driving the car while it happened(why John should pay part)

The Golden Child
11-04-2006, 03:57 PM
tough situation ..

wantboost
11-04-2006, 03:57 PM
if john had crashed it would be a different story.

2.3 Evo 8
11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I think Smith should beat John with the mangled piping.

The Golden Child
11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
50/50 is too much i would say 25/75 and smith the 75 ..

Mr_Mischif
11-04-2006, 04:05 PM
It's a tossup situation, so they should go 50/50 on a new part/installation.

The Golden Child
11-04-2006, 04:07 PM
that would make more sense but shit i would offer to pay only 25% just cause i dont think its fair for me to pay half on something i didnt do even though i was driving it ..

now if i was driving my friends car and i crashed it or anything like that i would pay full amount ..

in this case its def hard to say what one of them will do i mean i guess it sounds fair to pay half and find a estimate and then they can sit and talk about it ..

Big Baller
11-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Moral of the story you should have used t-bolt clamps instead of being a cheap ass and using worm clamps from home depot. You didnt assemble youre car correctly or the pipe would not have come off.

THE END

The Golden Child
11-04-2006, 04:24 PM
john should beat smith up ..

quickdodgeŽ
11-04-2006, 04:25 PM
50/50. But, the way Big Baller put it, it should fall on Smith. Later, QD.

Hulud
11-04-2006, 04:28 PM
eliminate john

The Golden Child
11-04-2006, 04:33 PM
KILL THEM BOTH !!!

~The_Duke~
11-04-2006, 04:34 PM
KILL THEM BOTH !!!

And take the 240?

quickdodgeŽ
11-04-2006, 04:35 PM
And take the 240?

Only to sell it for a Civic. Later, QD.

~The_Duke~
11-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Only to sell it for a Civic. Later, QD.

Fuck that, I would sell it and buy suspension parts for the Spec V lol

2.3 Evo 8
11-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Moral of the story you should have used t-bolt clamps instead of being a cheap ass and using worm clamps from home depot. You didnt assemble youre car correctly or the pipe would not have come off.

THE END

+1 :goodjob:

quickdodgeŽ
11-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Fuck that, I would sell it and buy suspension parts for the Spec V lol

No. Sell the Spec V also, to get your Civic as fast as you need it. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
11-04-2006, 04:46 PM

THE END
+1

i mean, its a fucking intercooler pipe, its like $50. Honestly, its so petty its not even worth arguing over. also, you assumed the risk that damage would happen by letting someone else drive the car. if your friend was beating on it, an it broke, like someone else said, dont let friends drive your car.

Now if he had crashed it, thats one thing, that shows negligence if it was his fault. this was an IC piping blowing off.

had the guy taken the car an didnt have your permission thats one thing. But its such an inexpensive part that was damaged, i feel responsibility falls on both parties.

if your friend is a nice guy, he'll help you out.

GGPIS3
11-04-2006, 04:53 PM
quite simple. he borrowed your car. he is responsible for the car. pipes don't just fall off... he must have hit at least 10 lbs... if not more... if you are driving normal and just going to get food, then he should have been in vacuum the whole time.. how would a pipe not just pop off but fall out of the car if it were in vacuum and not being driven hard?

find out the cost of a new pipe. tell your friend the price. then ask him how he wants to resolve the issue. if he falls short of your expectations, take what u can and let this be a lesson.

1. dont continue being friends with him cuz this wont be the last time he mishandles a situation.

2. dont let people borrow things if you know they can't afford to repay you the full cost of whatever it is to replace.

3. get better judgement. and if you can't find any... call me and i'll tell you not to loan out your car again ;)

~The_Duke~
11-04-2006, 04:55 PM
No. Sell the Spec V also, to get your Civic as fast as you need it. Later, QD.

ummm...civic FTL...plus the civic is geared as well as the Spec V is...

quickdodgeŽ
11-04-2006, 04:57 PM
ummm...civic FTL...plus the civic is geared as well as the Spec V is...

My Civic is better. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
11-04-2006, 04:58 PM
quite simple. he borrowed your car. he is responsible for the car. pipes don't just fall off... he must have hit at least 10 lbs... if not more... if you are driving normal and just going to get food, then he should have been in vacuum the whole time.. how would a pipe not just pop off but fall out of the car if it were in vacuum and not being driven hard?

find out the cost of a new pipe. tell your friend the price. then ask him how he wants to resolve the issue. if he falls short of your expectations, take what u can and let this be a lesson.

1. dont continue being friends with him cuz this wont be the last time he mishandles a situation.

2. dont let people borrow things if you know they can't afford to repay you the full cost of whatever it is to replace.

3. get better judgement. and if you can't find any... call me and i'll tell you not to loan out your car again ;)

so you still want me to take your car to work next week LOL

~The_Duke~
11-04-2006, 04:58 PM
My Civic is better. Later, QD.

This is true, your civic is badass and older than I am...lol

GGPIS3
11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
so you still want me to take your car to work next week LOL

or i'll have jon pick it up and trail it there.... :thinking:

sirkus
11-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Figured you would have learned something from Donny. Never let anyone borrow a turbo car. They're not really going to do what they say they're going to go and do.

HvyArms
11-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I really want to read that entire story, but I really dont wanna read that entire story. What happened?

rupertaker
11-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Anytime I've ever borrowed a car, I assume responsibility for what happens to it.

If I break it, I fix it.

VegetaRules
11-04-2006, 05:25 PM
+1

i mean, its a fucking intercooler pipe, its like $50. Honestly, its so petty its not even worth arguing over. also, you assumed the risk that damage would happen by letting someone else drive the car. if your friend was beating on it, an it broke, like someone else said, dont let friends drive your car.

Now if he had crashed it, thats one thing, that shows negligence if it was his fault. this was an IC piping blowing off.

had the guy taken the car an didnt have your permission thats one thing. But its such an inexpensive part that was damaged, i feel responsibility falls on both parties.

^^^^ Agreed, & honestly if it's that cheap, why even argue. I'd be ticked a little, but unless he wrecked it, a fallen-off pipe shouldn't be the end of your freindship.

The fact that he even offered money show's he's a good guy, so no, I'd think 25/75 should be sufficient compensation, especially considering how cheap it is to replace the pipe.:goodjob: . My :2cents: .....Vegeta

WickedIXMR
11-04-2006, 05:29 PM
one question why did he just take his own car?

quickdodgeŽ
11-04-2006, 05:36 PM
one question why did he just take his own car?

Hmmmm. \/ \/ \/ Later, QD.

John asks Smith one morning if he can borrow Smith's vehicle to go grab some food as John does not have a car and is at Smith's house.

4dmin
11-04-2006, 05:43 PM
whoever was driving was responisble considering the part... its not like it was the battery just went bad... but the IC piping just came off... somthing doesn't add up or the car is a total POS and he took responsibility when he took the keys ;)

GGPIS3
11-04-2006, 05:51 PM
a fallen-off pipe shouldn't be the end of your freindship.

i disagree with you here... theres no black and white when it comes to ending friendships... but you can't dismiss something as small because of a small cost. its called PRINCIPALITY!

pending on how the friend resolves the issues will determine whether they stay friends or not... i dont know how you are, but i don't let people walk all over me and take advantage of me... happened way too many times.. if a friend is willing, ready, and able to fuck you now.. he will fuck you later too.

now in this particular case.. the friend has offered some form of compensation so it does show good faith. but i would drop a friend over a single dollar if he wasn't acting right. it all comes down to the principal.

you borrow something, you return it the way you got it. period.

Big Baller
11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
The pipe fell off because it wasnt installed properly, whoever owns the car is at fault.

Learn to wrench

2.0civic
11-04-2006, 07:14 PM
+1

AND THIS IS WHY NOBODY DRIVES MY SHIT LOL

rupertaker
11-04-2006, 07:48 PM
The pipe fell off because it wasnt installed properly, whoever owns the car is at fault.

Learn to wrench

Word

I didn't take that into consideration.

It's an S13; the owner is at fault.

The poor car probably spit the pipe off because it wants to end it's life.

Fast Shadow
11-04-2006, 10:53 PM
If I were John and Smith was a good enough friend to let me borrow his car then I would be a good enough friend to replace his IC pipe. I can only hope that my own friends would do the same for me if the situation was reversed. Come on, if John isn't enough of a friend to replace his friend's IC pipe then John is a fudgepacker.

Fast Shadow
11-04-2006, 10:55 PM
I really want to read that entire story, but I really dont wanna read that entire story. What happened?

John got arrested for driving Smith's car because it had a license plate from Sweden.

ahmonrah
11-04-2006, 11:04 PM
+1

if your friend is a nice guy, he'll help you out.:goodjob: 100%

ahmonrah
11-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Word

I didn't take that into consideration.

It's an S13; the owner is at fault.

The poor car probably spit the pipe off because it wants to end it's life.:lmfao: that's a fucked up thing to say about an s13!:lmfao:

~goes out and reassures my s13 he wasnt talking about her...~

Flip
11-04-2006, 11:17 PM
+1

^ well said.

xaznstylegrlx
11-04-2006, 11:21 PM
If he did not get into an accident and was truly driving normal. 30 dollars is more enough for borrowing the car for a day. lol.

The piping probably wasn't done right from the beginning. And just because a friend was borrowing the car when it happened, doesn't necessarily mean they did something to the car.

It's smith's car and he is responsible for the maintanance.

Flip
11-04-2006, 11:23 PM
:lmfao: that's a fucked up thing to say about an s13!:lmfao:

~goes out and reassures my s13 he wasnt talking about her...~

^
*does the same*

VegetaRules
11-05-2006, 12:42 AM
i disagree with you here... theres no black and white when it comes to ending friendships... but you can't dismiss something as small because of a small cost. its called PRINCIPALITY!

pending on how the friend resolves the issues will determine whether they stay friends or not... i dont know how you are, but i don't let people walk all over me and take advantage of me... happened way too many times.. if a friend is willing, ready, and able to fuck you now.. he will fuck you later too.

now in this particular case.. the friend has offered some form of compensation so it does show good faith. but i would drop a friend over a single dollar if he wasn't acting right. it all comes down to the principal.

you borrow something, you return it the way you got it. period.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion in this matter. Now my friends don't quibble, over some $50 pipe off a dagum car. If you and your friends are that cheap, then maybe you shouldn't even call em friends. LMAO

Now, I'm sorry as another poster said, faulty pipe installation= ZERO liability. The fact that his buddy did offer $30, towards a $50 part shows he is considerate. Hell how the heck do we know the guy didn't already know the pipe was screwed, & was waiting for someone to drive to f-it up, so he could get free pipe??

Gotta look at shyt both ways. If he blows your new modified engine, yeah he owes all, he rolls over pot hole at 60MPH, messes up your exhaust, work his arse, no doubt. But for a IC pipe to just "come off" means something was possibly, & more than likely wrong with it. In which case he should be lucky to have gotten $30 offer.

Also I feel sorry for you if you value ANY material object over friendship. See if that IC pipe bails you out of jail, listens when you're going through shyt, huh be your best man at a wedding. If you spaz out of that trivial shyt, then you might need to re-evaluate the real meaning of life sir.....Vegeta

ahmonrah
11-05-2006, 12:50 AM
dude that borrowed the car DID show concern over the incident appening while he was driving the car, hence him offering 30 bones, the owner needs to accept that, absolve his friend of any wrong doing and thank the buddy for even offering. most people wont do that. they'd be like "oh well, it aint my car" and keep it movin. an IC pipe aint worth losin a friendship, and if it is. the owner doesnt know what friendship is..

ct9a gsr
11-05-2006, 03:29 AM
Dang, some good input and responses here... thanks.

Just so everyone knows, trust me... I wouldn't let something as petty as this damage my friendship with a GOOD friend of mine... at most, I'll let it annoy me for a day. No friendship ties will be severed, no real damage done. I just wanted to see what other people thought for curiosity's sake. =D

Nightsrt4
11-05-2006, 07:04 AM

Just so everyone knows, trust me... I wouldn't let something as petty as this damage my friendship with a GOOD friend of mine... at most, I'll let it annoy me for a day. No friendship ties will be severed, no real damage done. I just wanted to see what other people thought for curiosity's sake. =D

Maybe the owner of the 240 was also told he could have a free pipe also?

R3RUN
11-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Well in my experience pipes don't just blow off in normal driving. I had an issue while putting new intercooler piping on my car where as long as I didnt hit full boost there was no problem, if I did though the pipe would blow off. Needless to say I fixed it but if I lent my car to a friend at that point in time and he came back and said that the car blew a pipe off and he lost the pipe I would tell him to replace.

I have also experienced the worst thing anyone could ever do in a friends car, I wrecked it. He was in the car with me and I we were being stupid but I still took responsibility for it and payed up. And it wasn't some 50 dollar pipe either it ended up being about $1900 in repairs. What im trying to say here is that your friend should just pay you for the cost of the pipe and/or any labor resulting from it. You fuck up a friends car while your behind the wheel and it isnt something that is just a wear and tear item and you pay the price, end of story.

Black R
11-05-2006, 04:06 PM
if someone borrows your car, they are 100% responsible for ANYTHING that happens to it, imho.....

so if my motor's about to blow, I'm letting Mike blow it up and be responsible. :D

shortysm22
11-05-2006, 05:53 PM

Liar :tongue1:

ShooterMcGavin
11-06-2006, 12:36 AM
moral of the story is the 2 ppl in the story obviously aren't that good of friends....if they were, this post would've been unnecessary as john would've offered to do whatever it took to get shit fixed, smith woulda declined, and in the end they would've split the costs to get everything taken care of.

civic95
11-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Hard to say really.

If I was John, and I was driving normally (no way of really knowing) I wouldn't feel responsible for the part falling off.

Now if I was John, and I was driving the hell out of it I would offer to pay for it.

I guess the moral of the story is, if your going to loan your car out.... make sure its a Honda.

{X}Echo419
11-06-2006, 08:43 AM
If he did not get into an accident and was truly driving normal. 30 dollars is more enough for borrowing the car for a day. lol.

The piping probably wasn't done right from the beginning. And just because a friend was borrowing the car when it happened, doesn't necessarily mean they did something to the car.

It's smith's car and he is responsible for the maintanance.

agreed, it's not like John drifted to the store redlining it the whole way. if he was driving normally it would have came off anyways. Smith should be greatfull that John is giving him anything :2cents:

iloveboost
11-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Smith should buy a new intercooler pipe and use the $30 to buy t-bolt clamps.

It's $50. Smith should get over it. Not to mention, John had already offered $30 up front. It's not like he's trying to avoid responsibility altogether.

Even if John gave it a little too much gas... the pipe would've blown off eventually. Whether it was Smith or John driving it.

SixSquared
11-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I've been in almost the exact same situation before. My friend Kevin chipped my ecu on my car and we took it out on a test run. I drove for a while, then Kevin wanted to drive, so I said "no prob" and we switched drivers. Kevin was driving fine... not recklessly/super fast, but on a part of the road where there was construction. He hit a pretty deep pothole, blew out my tire, tore the lip off my car, and cracked my lower control arm. Now, I had said he could drive the car, and I was with him. The lca was stock, the tire was a stock size, and the lip was off a civic ex.. total damage incurred was under $300 for a new tire, lca, and lip. Kevin didn' have any cash on him at the time, so instead of buying a new tire for me right then, he swapped wheels off his show car that was sitting in his driveway and it would be ok for it to sit on a spare. He also swapped lca's off his show car, so I was riding around with omnipower lca's and 17" wheels for a while. I found another lip for $30, so he paid for that, and it turned out that, upon inspection of the tires, I needed new ones anyway, so he chipped in $40 towards new tires (I keep crap tires on my stock wheels cause they're just winter wheels), and he helped me pull an lca off a junkyard car.

I agree with what has been said so far... while it wasn't expressly your friend's fault (IE he didn't hit anything, etc), he was responsible for the car, and I think you can both work together to get the car fixed. :D