View Full Version : *~* HONDA WIDEBAND 02 QUESTIONS *~*

BABY J
11-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok. I have gotten all the parts for my OBDI conversion:

VEH: 91Si
ENG: B16A3
ECU: Pr3

new parts that I have;

ECU: reprogrammed P28 setup for Hondata s200 (from Hand Command)
DIZZY: www.rpmpartz.com (http://www.rpmpartz.com) / B16 OBD1 Dizzy w/ OBD0 plugs - no hassle
HONDATA: OBD0 - OBD1 conversion harness - no hassle

Now here is my question. I can get wideband 02 sensors for $75 shipped. Will I need to replace both of my 02 sensors w/ wideband, or just the 1 @ the cat? I have looked into www.plxdevices.com (http://www.plxdevices.com) but I will have enough boxes in the car when I get the laptop end and I am trying to save space.

scttydb411
11-04-2006, 03:01 PM
you don't need stinking o2 sensors!

when it gets tuned the o2 get's disabled and just make sure it's tuned for driveability w/o having to re-enable the o2.

now if you want to have a wideband o2 w/ controller to monitor the afr into a hondata datalog you'll have to splice it into the o2 sensor ecu input wire while keeping the o2 disabled in hondata.

you'll only need 1 and you'll need a wideband controller. i personally like my techedge. i've used it for 3 years now w/ the same sensor full time.

BABY J
11-04-2006, 03:20 PM
So, I could get 1 WB02 - and I'd have to get the Techedge (or the 1 from PLX listed on the Hondata site). I know there are many others out there - too many to list. LOL.

OR, I can get NO WB02, grab the box from PLX and still be able to run the ECU in closed loop mode. Correct? I do not think any1 on the site is more versed than you in this anyway so I got lucky. What option would you take? I will want to see A/F in the logs (that's why I am, adding a laptop later).

scttydb411
11-05-2006, 10:55 AM
if you want to be able to view true afr then you will need to get the wb controller and o2, disable the o2 in hondata, clip the sensor input and use the wb output from the controller to the clipped input to the ecu. viola, true afr readings in your logs.

funny thing is you can stick w/ your narrowband and it'll look like it's reading w/b signals, but the problem is it's not since the voltage range is so narrow and tapers off so quickly outside of the 15.0-14.5 range it's inacurrate.

if you look at the techedge, remember it's in au$ so the conversion rate to us$ is favorable and is cheaper than the listed price since it's in au$. complete 2.0 setup w/ sensor, controller, all cables, and 52mm gauge is about $470 us$+ shipping. it has onboard datalogging, rpm, afr, and 2-3 extra inputs plus thermocouple inputs as well if you wanted to log egts. pretty beyond what most people want or need, but if you're just going to use it to log in hondata and don't care about having a guage there are ways to get them much cheaper, especially if you know the hook up to get the 7057 sensor cheaper and/or if you are good w/ a soldering iron...$235 us$+shipping.

not up on the plx unit because at the time i got mine the techedge was the best bang for the buck and haven't really kept up with all the other brands since then.

BABY J
11-05-2006, 03:58 PM
OK... I had to read that 12 times before I understood it - and I did a little research. :) Here is the literature from PLX site:

http://www.plxdevices.com/M-Series_productinfo.htm

I can save time and money by going w/ this option seeing as it COMES w/ the Bosch wb sensor. I simply replace my trailing (2nd) 02 sensor with the sensor that comes with the box, and then punch the output to the ECU and walla... that completes my OBD1 conversion (I have the p28 w/ Hondata S200 port as well as Hondata harness). Kool, kool. Okay Scotty... LMK when you are setup for Hondata tuning. And thank you for your time man... I am a noob when it comes to the WB/NB o2 stuff.

scttydb411
11-05-2006, 04:19 PM
that's actually a good priced unit for what you're going to use it for. the comparable techedge (2e0) unit w/ built in display is about $384 us$+shipping (appx $70 more expensive). it looks like they use the same o2 sensor (7057)...if that's the case they are pretty readily available and not expensive at all if you happen to kill it for some reason, but i've used mine for over 3 years full time use and it's just as accurate as when the brand new one i replaced on the dyno.

i talked w/ the person in charge of dealers at hondata and they were at sema last week. my dealer kit should be in the mail when they return tomorrow. hopefully it'll only take a week for shipping.

BABY J
11-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah the industry was pretty much locked down this week for SEMA... I couldn't get nothing but answering machines all over the globe - LOL. I can't wait till you are setup for tuning Hondata. I should have new block installed sometime before the year 2013 and I wanna have you dial it in. Thanx again bro. Hopefully I can get the PLX M300 in the mail on tomorrow ** fingers crossed **