PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods What kinda Engine managment?

Slowboy
10-23-2006, 04:04 PM
So i am building a small d series build, Its my first so im not goin to worry bout the most exspensive stuff. But i do want to get tuned for 7 or 8 psi. what EMS should i run. Or at least what do i need to tune the car to be safe...

Thanks in advance, joining the boosted club.

curt

iloveboost
10-23-2006, 04:39 PM
www.digitalboxtuning.com

Chipped/Socketed ECU.

SPOOLIN
10-23-2006, 08:40 PM
www.digitalboxtuning.com

Chipped/Socketed ECU.

ding ding

scttydb411
10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
thanks guys.

correct...socketed/chipped ecu w/ crome and tuning...ride out and you won't take a huge hit in the wallet.

Dominic49
10-23-2006, 09:36 PM
megasquirt!

http://www.megasquirt.info/

Slowboy
10-23-2006, 11:00 PM
haha mega squirt dont sound safe. lol.

But so all i need is socket and chipped ecu. and i should be fine.

§treet_§peed
10-23-2006, 11:25 PM
few other adjustments internally to be safe i would say..imo that is

scttydb411
10-24-2006, 09:49 AM
But so all i need is socket and chipped ecu. and i should be fine.

that and tuning.

miro_gt
10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
So i am building a small d series build, Its my first so im not goin to worry bout the most exspensive stuff. But i do want to get tuned for 7 or 8 psi. what EMS should i run. Or at least what do i need to tune the car to be safe...

curt

What OBD? ECU do you use ?

-S Double C-
10-26-2006, 08:56 PM
go with crome curtis or hondata..if you wanna spend a bit.

anothaRRR
10-27-2006, 10:12 AM
MOTEC FTW>>>>

iloveboost
10-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Haha. Yeah, get MOTEC if you can.

Although, if you're building a stock D series, it may be a bit of overkill, heh.

Da_unknown
10-27-2006, 03:21 PM
scotty ftw...:goodjob: :goodjob:

d993s
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Slowboy]haha mega squirt dont sound safe. lol.

QUOTE]

I megasquirted a girl in the face once (actually it was many times, more than 1 girl) No complaints yet (except when I got them in the eyes :D ).

But seriously, Megasquirt is what I'm planning on using on my next projects.

David88vert
10-27-2006, 07:39 PM
I've run the old MS v1.1. It worked quite well. I'm running AEM and Haltech right now. A lot of the EMS out there are similar nowadays. Just look to see which has the most support for your application.

Turbogixxer
10-28-2006, 09:45 PM
haha mega squirt dont sound safe. lol.

Oh lord.

It is as safe as the person behind the computer.

And holy bandwagon. :)

Claudio RX-7
12-22-2006, 11:39 PM

curt
Hi guys, permit me to introduce my self, my name is Claudio, im originally from the Dominican Republic, recently moved here to GA to work in a new performance shop that will cater to all aspects of motorsports. Some of you may know me from the Haltech forums and the RX7Club forums. Now onto the question at hand, what EMS to run. This question will greatly depend on a few things, most importantly are availability of features, ease of tune/install and budget. Now, for Hondas some of the most practical and cost effective ways of tuning them is with either Hondata or Crome or Uberdata or some form of chip editor. These offer a good alround number of features and benefits at a very reasonable cost.

Now, there are stand alone systems out there that can do a lot better and are actually more practical than these chip editors even though their cost is a lot higher. Haltech offers the most bang for the buck when it comes to features and cost benefits. AEM has done a great job of making quick installs and getting up and running pretty quickly with a wide range of features. There are other systems in the market of course and even though they have a good number of features but their cost is somewhat higher.

So, in the end, you have to decide wether you can afford to pay for a good system right off the start, or have to pay twice as much money purchasing the wrong system first, then having to change to a different system because of lack of features, user friendlyness, or quite simply because that system didnt cut it or there was no support for it to begin with.

Hope that helps.

David88vert
12-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Well said.

Another thing to consider when purchasing - I have had a chip kill a stock ECU this past summer. Car ran fine for months, then all of the sudden while driving down the interstate, it died. Turned out that the chip killed the ECU (poor quality chip, but done by a professional shop a couple of years ago). It is very expensive to replace.

Personally, I generally like to run standalones. With the AEM, I got the bonus of TC, 2step, N2O control, etc.

scttydb411
12-24-2006, 01:06 AM
interesting...never heard of a chip killing an ecu, except when it was put in backwards.

what exactly happened? did the chip somehow short out or something?

David88vert
12-24-2006, 08:35 AM
It was an Autologic chip on a stock Mustang computer. Worked fine for 2 years/approx 4K miles. One day when I was driving up I85, the check engine light came on, and the car started running rough. It still drove, but was running really rich (clouds of fuel). Checked all of the sensors, ignition, etc. Basically, the computer was bad. The computer would work ok sometimes and other times it would crap out. I switched to AEM and have no problems now (except for tweaking the damn cold start table).
From what I understand, Autologic chips are pretty poor quality to begin with.

superboost
06-23-2007, 08:30 AM
megasquirt!

http://www.megasquirt.info/
+1

i run it. good stuff