PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods burning oil i thought

sirhatch1030
10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
i have a single cam turbo hatch and it runs fine but was smoking when i let off the gas and i could tap the gas and it will puff out a good bit of smoke, but dont smoke at all when driving only when i let off and push the gas agine , any thoughts on what it could be. .... oh and i took off the turbo and does not do it at all so i know it is not the rings. any help will be help full.

BTEC
10-23-2006, 07:03 AM
i have a single cam turbo hatch and it runs fine but was smoking when i let off the gas and i could tap the gas and it will puff out a good bit of smoke, but dont smoke at all when driving only when i let off and push the gas agine , any thoughts on what it could be. .... oh and i took off the turbo and does not do it at all so i know it is not the rings. any help will be help full.
UR TURBO NEEDS TO BE REBUILT. IF U LOOK AT UR TURBINE (EXHAUST) WHEEL ITS PORLLY WHITE OR PLAIN BLACK WITH OIL DEPENDING ON HOW BAD THE SEALS ARE.

sirhatch1030
10-23-2006, 07:06 AM
it was a neww turbo and iv only put 4,000 miles on it and never ran it hot or cut it off right after runig it . thanks.

BTEC
10-23-2006, 07:27 AM
it was a neww turbo and iv only put 4,000 miles on it and never ran it hot or cut it off right after runig it . thanks.
WONT EB THE FIRST TIME IVE SEEN THAT HAPPEN. MY HOMEBOY HAD A BRAND NEW BALL BEARING TURBO FROM TURBONETICS THAT STARTED LEAKING AND HE DIDNT EVEN HAVE 1000 MILES ON IT. I HAD TO GET A TURBO REBUILT FOR ONE OF MY OTHER "CUSTOMERS" BC IT STARTED DUPING STRAIGHT OIL OUT OF THE EXHAUST ON HIS CRX. SHIT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME BUT ITS OBVIOUS THAT ITS UR TURBO IF U DNT HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WHEN UR CAR IS NA BUT WHATEVER Y0.

anothaRRR
10-23-2006, 09:44 AM
I had a Innovative that I had bought brand new, the minute I put it on it was smoking...Sent it back and they rebuilt it at no cost..

Spyder
10-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Oil seals normally fail because of a few simple things:

1) oil pressure is to high
2) oil feed line is to large
3) bad seals/bearings to begin with
4) over spun turbo
and the most likely cause........

5) oil return line being TO DAMN SMALL!

I have said this 100 times but.. turbos are pressure fed and gravity drain, if you do not give it a big enough tube to drain in to it will start to leak thru the seals. There was another guy that had a SS line put in and it started to smoke more and more, he had a larger one put on and it fixed the problem.

Good luck with the problem.

v8killer
10-24-2006, 11:33 AM
the turbo has a little oil coming from the charge side , so i think it is the turbo.

green91
10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
my money is on the oil not draining properly. and if its not it pushes through the seals so it could be burning it or pushing out into your charge pipes.

ive seen this 1000000x times with SOHC and HF manifold because it hangs the turbo so low.

boostedb16
10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Oil seals normally fail because of a few simple things:

1) oil pressure is to high
2) oil feed line is to large
3) bad seals/bearings to begin with
4) over spun turbo
and the most likely cause........

5) oil return line being TO DAMN SMALL!

I have said this 100 times but.. turbos are pressure fed and gravity drain, if you do not give it a big enough tube to drain in to it will start to leak thru the seals. There was another guy that had a SS line put in and it started to smoke more and more, he had a larger one put on and it fixed the problem.

Good luck with the problem.hey that was me, and now oil comes out on the side that you put a filter on. is that because i have bad seals and does my turbo need to be rebuilt and if so how much does it cost to rebuild one. oh and i checked the shaft play and it dont hardly move.

Vuongy_Dong
10-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Damain, call me foo.

jimjam187
11-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Ive got the same problem. I just got my turbo back from precision when I let off the gas it does the same thing. I have been thinking that its the return line but ive mad it longer shorter swithced the fittings around and still no affect. THe motor is new i know its not the rings. I never thought making a return line would be this hard. 1/2" return line standard ss feed

SLOWR/T
11-04-2006, 08:28 PM
my car smokes when its cold. i was told its getting to much oil pressure when the oils cold/thick but once it warms up it stops. is there a place that sells something that can drop the pressure going to the turbo??

boostedb16
11-04-2006, 10:23 PM
mine too, someone please answer this question so our cars will quit smoking lol.
my car smokes when its cold. i was told its getting to much oil pressure when the oils cold/thick but once it warms up it stops. is there a place that sells something that can drop the pressure going to the turbo??

SLOWR/T
11-06-2006, 01:51 PM

Bump for my question ^^^^

Whitebandit
11-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Have you tried going to a thinner base oil? Sometimes that will help.

ZEDEX32
11-08-2006, 08:27 PM
What kind of oil u usin'?

SLOWR/T
11-08-2006, 08:37 PM
i think its 5w30 in the car. IDK though i just bought it a week ago.

Whitebandit
11-08-2006, 08:57 PM
i think its 5w30 in the car. IDK though i just bought it a week ago.

Well you still have the same weight if its 10w30 or 5w30. Redline has 5w20 thats excedes turbo appt. thats what I've been using and no smoke. I did have the same problem with the drain from the turbo being to small so I made bigger and went to the 5w20 it stopped.

boostedb16
11-08-2006, 09:19 PM
well i was using mobil1 high milege and when i was using that oil in the mornings i would notice some blue smoke and i switched to 10w30 valvaline high milege synthetic and now i really dont see it as bad, oh and the mobil1 was 10w40

Whitebandit
11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
If the oil trick dont work have you had your car tuned? Whats your afr? That (if you havent had it tuned) might be your problem also.

Whitebandit
11-08-2006, 09:50 PM
well i was using mobil1 high milege and when i was using that oil in the mornings i would notice some blue smoke and i switched to 10w30 valvaline high milege synthetic and now i really dont see it as bad, oh and the mobil1 was 10w40

High mileage is not all that good for boosted motors. The reason being is because of the additives in the oil that makes it alittle thicker because of the recondtioning agents for seals in older motors.

boostedb16
11-08-2006, 09:56 PM
so dont use high mileage.

boostedb16
11-08-2006, 09:58 PM
and could it have recondtioned my seals in my turbo because oil dont come out anymore.

Whitebandit
11-08-2006, 10:05 PM
and could it have recondtioned my seals in my turbo because oil dont come out anymore.

No it did not recondtion the seals to were its not coming out any more. The oil merly recondtions not fix seals so what every you done prior may have fixed it.

ZEDEX32
11-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Get Royal Purple synthetic 10w30. It does cost more but itz thick and 100x better in any way.

SLOWR/T
11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
my car was on the dyno last saturday. my AFR's got richer as the RPMs climbed. i dont have the sheet if from of me but it was something like 11.1 at the top of the run. all im running is a FMU, stock injectors and fuel pump. its a small turbo (k03 off a audi).

Thanks for the replies so far. ill try a different oil next time i change it.

boostedb16
11-08-2006, 10:46 PM
No it did not recondtion the seals to were its not coming out any more. The oil merly recondtions not fix seals so what every you done prior may have fixed it.ok, so if anyone needs a turbo lmk, i will take pics of it on my car and put it in the classifieds tomarrow.

Bruce Leroy
11-08-2006, 10:49 PM

Some companies make oil feed restrictors. Just search on honda-tech..

Precision turbo oil restirctor (http://www.injectedperformance.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ID=3861)

aubry588
11-09-2006, 11:25 AM
im not sure if anyone already said this because i didnt read the whole thread. but make sure the line isnt kinked, but the way its acting is gonna have to probley be the turbo seals. because i had almost the exact same problem and thats what it was.

I.C.

Whitebandit
11-09-2006, 01:18 PM
my car was on the dyno last saturday. my AFR's got richer as the RPMs climbed. i dont have the sheet if from of me but it was something like 11.1 at the top of the run. all im running is a FMU, stock injectors and fuel pump. its a small turbo (k03 off a audi).

Thanks for the replies so far. ill try a different oil next time i change it.

Listen can the fmu get bigger injectors and fuel pump. I know its a lot but from experiance fmu will screw you in the end. If its white smoke when you let off its more than likely running lean and you do not want that. Fmu reads psi so it just dumps a ass load of fuel to the injectors and sometimes the injuctors will not spray what the fmu is sending. If you keep this set up do not hold in 5th gear to much load then:headslap: