PDA

View Full Version : Job advice

HyPer50
10-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Alright, I've had the typical "no experience required" jobs like doin' oil changes, bein' an insider at a pizza chain, bein' a driver, etc. I have no clue what kind of career path I want to get into (so pretty much whatever comes up I'm willing to give it a shot). My problem is 95% of jobs out there require experience... How are you supposed to get your foot in the door, to get the experience when all the jobs require previous experience? I mean, I'm a fairly smart person, quick learner and all that, I just can't seem to find much. I'd be willing to do pretty much any kind of job (perverts need not apply) for the right amount of money, I've never made more than $10/hr, and now that I'm getting married and moving out, I really need to start bringing in a decent paycheck... Any advice, aside from "ajcjobs.com" and stuff?

SL65AMG
10-23-2006, 06:10 AM
im in the same boat mang. all the jobs now-a-days want "experience", but not one of them wants to give you any. fucked up man. do your own thing... thats wut im doing....eventually

candy2082002
10-23-2006, 07:47 AM
So yeah thats not really advice, but its cool......I am trying to find him a job that has good hours and good pay steady and stable so if anyone has that kind of job lying around yeah pretty sure that would rock. Thats how I use to be then a friend got me the job I have now so maybe I can get him a job within my company that he would like......hopefully

BTEC
10-23-2006, 08:10 AM
I KNOW THE FEELING. IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ANIGHT JOB FOR A FEW MONTHS AND KEEP COMING UP EMPTY HANDED. THE LAST FEW JOBS IVE HAD I GOT HOOKED UP WITH FROM FRIENDS SO ITS PRETTY MUCH COMING DWN TO WHO U KNOW, OR THATS THE WAY IT SEEM. 10HR IS PRETY MUCH WHERE EVERYBODY I KNOW IS AT. A FEW OF US ARE ALL LOOKING OUT FOR EACHOTHER TRYING TO FIND JOBS AND GET THE OTHER ONES IN THE DOOR BUT WE HAVENT FOUND NETHING YET.

Bruce Leroy
10-23-2006, 08:18 AM
My friend was making $13 an hour through Randstad (staffing agency). And the only prior experience he had was some volunteer work at the school office.

BTEC
10-23-2006, 08:21 AM
My friend was making $13 an hour through Randstad (staffing agency). And the only prior experience he had was some volunteer work at the school office.
GOOD POINT. STAFFING AGENCIES ARE REAL POPULAR AS WELL. WE GET ALOT OF PPL THAT WRK FOR US AS TEMPS THROUGH STAFFING AGENCIES. IVE HEARD ALOT OF WAREHOUSE TYPE JOBS USE THEM ALOT. IT SUCKS BC U CAN GO TO WRK ONE DAY AND NOT HAVE A JOB THE NEXT. THATS BULLSHIT IF U ASK ME. IM PROLLY GONNA PUT THEM TO WRK AND FIND ME A DAMN NIGHT JOB. I 4GOT ABOUT THAT IDEA A WHILE BACK.

Jaimecbr900
10-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Most of the professional and/or better paying jobs require experience because it costs a lot of money to train a totally "green" person that may or may not work out. You're not producing while in training. You probably won't produce much just out of training. Someone, that's being paid obviously, has to train you. You may not like what you're doing right after you're trained and leave. So you see it's not that companies don't want to give people a shot, they actually do, it's just that it's a risky proposition for them too. If they did that too often with negative results, it wouldn't be long before they lost real money.

That's just FYI.

The staffing agency part is actually a good idea. They offer the opportunity to get your foot in the door. They also give you the opportunity to get benefits and that "experience" since they may place you in different positions you've never done before.

Another idea is to pick a profession you think you may enjoy and stick to that. Too often we don't make up our minds and spend a whole lot of time jumping from one place to the next, which doesn't look good on your resume to prospective employers.

Alex33
10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
have u been or graduated from college? if not, even just attending a two year institution can open up a whole new list of possible opportunities. plus, you may decide that you want to try a professional career and that could help you down the road as well.

HyPer50
10-23-2006, 09:50 PM
have u been or graduated from college? if not, even just attending a two year institution can open up a whole new list of possible opportunities. plus, you may decide that you want to try a professional career and that could help you down the road as well.

I went to chattahoochee tech... guess that doesn't say much. i got about 50-70 credit hours completed. Finished all the core classes, and was halfway through with the automotive program when I started seriously doubting that I wanted to persue a CAREER in the automotive tech industry. I love cars, I love workin' on em, just really dont want to be doing that for a living for the rest of my life. So I'm kind of at a stand still right now in the college department.

Julio
10-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Find something you like... you will have to start at the bottom of the barrell.. but aslong as you find a good company thats growing or been in bus awhile you can move up and make a decent salary.

Gotta market yourself.. is hard.. but not impossible... sometimes if you can market yourself, resume's mean nothing, im some cases.

But hey.. keep hustling.

MachNU
10-23-2006, 11:05 PM
THis is my :2cents: but i was in the same boat as you. i wanted to find a job that i can get my foot in the door for a better chance at a better job. But i talked with one of my managers at work whos only 22 and makes 62K a year. He did just like me when i was 18 (19 now) got crappy jobs and made his way to management in each of them. Even if it was a fast food chain or what not. I work at sams and have been there jsut less than a year and already make 10.60-11.60 an hour with 38 hours a week. Well he did the same as me, did theys small time jobs until he graduated college with a degree in Business Management...and now hes a manager making 62k a year. And his goal in life his to be a GM of a Sam's Club. Sounds kinda stupid...but our current GM doesnt have any degrees been working since she graduated from high school and worked at sams for 15 years and now makes 132k a year +++ Bonuses. Well one of my managers i was talking to says the highest paid GM for any Sams in Georgia makes 160k a year with a degree plus a HUGE bonus.

So for me i am jsut sticking where i am. I work at a company that gives me good benefits(since i am full time) making 10.60-11.60 an hour through college. I have been there less than a year and have already work the membership position...front lines..hardlines...recevings...pretty much everywhere...even supervisior. Come Feb. i will be a Supervisor again...making 12.60-13.60(full time) then when i get my 2 yare degree i will hopefully be promoted to management, while still working on my 4 year degree.

So like everyone has been saying a good way to get your foot in the door is to go to a big name chain and company and start from the bottom of the barrel. Its working for me so far :dunno:

But like i said this is just my :2cents:

MachNU
10-23-2006, 11:07 PM
GOOD POINT. STAFFING AGENCIES ARE REAL POPULAR AS WELL. WE GET ALOT OF PPL THAT WRK FOR US AS TEMPS THROUGH STAFFING AGENCIES. IVE HEARD ALOT OF WAREHOUSE TYPE JOBS USE THEM ALOT. IT SUCKS BC U CAN GO TO WRK ONE DAY AND NOT HAVE A JOB THE NEXT. THATS BULLSHIT IF U ASK ME. IM PROLLY GONNA PUT THEM TO WRK AND FIND ME A DAMN NIGHT JOB. I 4GOT ABOUT THAT IDEA A WHILE BACK.

LOL night job...if you live near enough to the buford area(mall of georgia) i now where you can get a full time nightposition for starting in the 11 to 12 range!

Hektik
10-24-2006, 12:58 AM
I think it depends on how much u market urself. write up a really good resume and then send it to companies even if they ask for experience. who knows u might get lucky and be what HR at that company is looking for. its all a matter of pursuing it job hunting is a job because u have to work at it. at the company i work at now i came in less then 9 mnths ago as a trainee cause i knew nothing about this field. now im making almost 20 an hr. just becasue i went and marketed my self. they were looking for someone with 2 years minimum experience and i had none but the manager that interviewed me said he liked the way i presented my self and gave me a chance alot of it has to do with luck

~The_Duke~
10-25-2006, 08:23 PM
What I did to start out with was find a good temp agency and tell them what you have done before, what you are looking, and tell them willing learn and hopefully they will find you a place to get your foot in the door at. Then if the place likes you then they will usually ask you if you would like the job you are doing and if you want to stay, or they will tell you where to put in an ap for it. Alot of big companys go to temp places to find new employees.

HyPer50
10-25-2006, 10:17 PM
How do you get started in a temp agency?

ShooterMcGavin
10-26-2006, 08:52 AM
^^^look them up in the yellowbook, call them, set up an appt to go and fill out a shit ton of paperwork. also, i'd finish college, doesn't matter WHAT degree. shows a lot of employers out there that you are dedicated and can finish something you start. :2cents:

1SICKLEX
10-26-2006, 07:13 PM
THey just did a study
1. HS diploma avg like 28k
2. HS dropout like 19k
3. College grad 51k

It is getting more and more competative out there. As for experience, the only true method left is working for a company entry level and moving up the ranks, if you do not have a degree. Job hopping with no degree= the lose, you never get to move up or prove yourself.

As for what you want to be, what do you like to do? At least work in the field that sells or is associated with it.

chrisdavis
10-26-2006, 09:05 PM
How punctual are you? Can you come to work when you are scheduled and not be late? And are you against working nights? If you are mechanically inclined you may be able to get on where I work.

I work for Dart Container in Lithonia. There are a few ways to get in.

1: No experience. You can be hired as an inspector/packer. Basically you tape up boxes and tend to the line you are assigned.

2: Some mechanical experience. Film changer. You change the film on baggers, clean the blade of the bagger and empty the barrels that collect scrap film (easy job)

3: Fair amount of mechanical experience. Shift mechanic. You troubleshoot and repair the machinery in your assigned area.

You will not get dayshift because it is a seniority type deal, so if you cannot handle nights then dont bother applying. Ive been on nights for 2 years now and I havent been able to get a day shift spot yet. Also dont worry about mechanical experience, if you get hired for any position that is non mechanical you can put in a bid for "Trial Maintenance" when they take bids (once a quarter) and they will train you to be a mechanic. Mechanics make the most money outside of management.

HyPer50
10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
How punctual are you? Can you come to work when you are scheduled and not be late? And are you against working nights? If you are mechanically inclined you may be able to get on where I work.

I work for Dart Container in Lithonia. There are a few ways to get in.

1: No experience. You can be hired as an inspector/packer. Basically you tape up boxes and tend to the line you are assigned.

2: Some mechanical experience. Film changer. You change the film on baggers, clean the blade of the bagger and empty the barrels that collect scrap film (easy job)

3: Fair amount of mechanical experience. Shift mechanic. You troubleshoot and repair the machinery in your assigned area.

You will not get dayshift because it is a seniority type deal, so if you cannot handle nights then dont bother applying. Ive been on nights for 2 years now and I havent been able to get a day shift spot yet. Also dont worry about mechanical experience, if you get hired for any position that is non mechanical you can put in a bid for "Trial Maintenance" when they take bids (once a quarter) and they will train you to be a mechanic. Mechanics make the most money outside of management.

That sounds pretty good, and ya, I am punctual and good at stickin' to the schedule. Not sure how far Lithonia is from me tho, and also can't really work nights, getting married in january and that wouldn't be a good way to start off a marriage (never seeing each other lol). Thanks very much for the idea tho.

chrisdavis
10-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah Ive been married 6 years and my wife hates this schedule. The upside is that im on 12 hour shifts so I only work 14 days a month. It translates to 36 hours one week and 48 the next. so I do get to spend a fair amount of time with her and my son.

civic95
10-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Just go visit a temp agency, there are a couple in smyrna. They will get you in the door, and help you build up experience. There are a lof of companies that hire thru a temp agency. The main reason is after 90 days they can say they no longer need that position. The 90 days is a test to see what kind of worker you are. As long as your on time everyday, and work most of the day instead of being lazy.... 90% of the time you will be offered a permanent position. It's just an easy way to get rid of the lazy people without having to fire them, and end up disputing unemployment, or possibly being sued for being descriminate. Our company uses them all the time. And you'd be suprised how many lousy people come thru them, but I would still say 50% get permanent jobs.

candy2082002
10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
yeah thats true cause my company does that however its not really that steady of a job and yeah really need one that your not worried day to day about having a job. I am going to ask some of my friends that have the "good" jobs if they are hiring and maybe he can get a job that way, thats how it happened for me. I went from a manager at Chickfila to a real estate law firm so yeah that was a big jump and thats just cause I know people that work here so really lucky :)

ShooterMcGavin
10-27-2006, 09:29 AM
^^^well hell from the sounds of it u can just be his sugar momma and he can be the stay at home dad :lmao:

EmotorsportsE
10-27-2006, 12:03 PM
You interested in sales? Car salesmen make good money. No experience required generally, they train you most places, look for a good dealership to get into thats always busy, and you'll make bank.

E

candy2082002
10-27-2006, 12:28 PM
^^^well hell from the sounds of it u can just be his sugar momma and he can be the stay at home dad :lmao:

wow its not like that I dont make that much ha ha ha I make about the same, but in like 2 more years I can make alot more if I stay in this field

1SICKLEX
10-27-2006, 11:19 PM
You interested in sales? Car salesmen make good money. No experience required generally, they train you most places, look for a good dealership to get into thats always busy, and you'll make bank.

E
You better have a clean DMV record.