PDA

View Full Version : 93-95 rx7 question?

13Bracer
10-22-2006, 04:50 PM
ok so like by the end of december im gunna buy a 93 rx7 all stock and was wondering what is a good first thing to get for a stock one? turbo timer? i dont know turbos or rx7's at all so anything will help? thanks

David88vert
10-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Start here: http://robrobinette.com/reliabiltiy.htm

2.0civic
10-23-2006, 07:39 PM
after you do that, get ready to not get more than 100k out of the motor......

im just kidding but idk....not a big rotary fan...

Five*Star*
10-23-2006, 08:07 PM
First, make shure you have another car for a daily driver.

Then, get a 3"downpipe, an aluminum AST, new vacumm hoses, turbo timer, 3" catback exhaust.

Also, before you start modding, check all the cooling hoses, change all the fluids in the car, change the fuel filter, and check the plugs and wires.

Good Luck, and let me know if you need me to do any work.... I have torn these cars well apart and am good at the stock sequential twins system too. ;)

Michael

Type-R
10-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Be carefull messing with the vac hoses, you don't want to end up with leak which is very easy to end up with and before you know it your #1 or #2 won't spool.

I recommend you pick up a fan temp controller, GReddy makes a excellent one which I use on one of my FD's and is great for when you are sitting in traffic to and from work or where ever. Also, a turbo timer is good to have just to ensure a proper cool down is done, it's not a must have but a nice to have if you plan to mod. Personally I would say upgrade the intercooler, get rid of the out-dated slant mount system and get a front mount, if you are sticking with the stock twins there isn't really a big nead to get a 3 or 4 core as you would need a larger turbo set up to fill that up but it's nice to have once again.

Lastly, parts, get lots of parts. I can't stress that enough. Everything from door handles down to hoses you will want extra on hand because these things break! I usually have close to enough spare parts to assemble another vehicle most times, especially if you plan to drift.

Keep this in mind, RX-7's, FD's, rotary's, whatever the case will last you a life time so long as you keep up on normal maintenance BUT once you start to mod them get ready to spend money.

Also quick side note, the break system on the FD is excellent as is, upgrading to slotted cross drilled big breaks or whatever is nice to have but not needed by far. The Brembo system for the FD is what I'd recommend if you plan to change the breaks at all.

I have tried out a large variety of parts on my FD's and my personal liking out of most of them were from GReddy/TRUST, Brembo, and Apex'i. I had a few good experiences with HKS parts and OS Engineering but not many.

13Bracer
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
awesome thanks a lot im new to this i proly wont mod it exept the stuff you guys tell me cause this is my daily driver. and i have this guy who builds them and he puts brembo brakes on them. and hes puttin in a motor with 30,000 on it but i know nothing about rotary let alone turbod cars ive never owned one but if i get these parts wheres a good reputable shop to get them installed at? this is all goin down in december so if you can make me a list of brands and products and im gunna start to try and get the stuff.. once again thanks a lot and when i get i might have to call upon some of you guys:goodjob:

Type-R
10-23-2006, 10:25 PM
awesome thanks a lot im new to this i proly wont mod it exept the stuff you guys tell me cause this is my daily driver. and i have this guy who builds them and he puts brembo brakes on them. and hes puttin in a motor with 30,000 on it but i know nothing about rotary let alone turbod cars ive never owned one but if i get these parts wheres a good reputable shop to get them installed at? this is all goin down in december so if you can make me a list of brands and products and im gunna start to try and get the stuff.. once again thanks a lot and when i get i might have to call upon some of you guys:goodjob:

UAB does great work all around body and engine, most people don't like to go to them for engine work but it's very reputable.

uabcustomcars.com

Talk to Albert or Whinny and tell em Steve from Japan sent ya :-)

You'll probably be seeing a few of my rides sitting in their shop in a few months, especially if I can get this damn R33 in at a low price.

Type-R
10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Oh yeah and if you are going daily driver in that FD I would not even touch the clutch. I want to jump off a bridge when I get stuck on I-20 during rush hour with a twin plate in my FD.

Type-R
10-23-2006, 10:30 PM
list of brands and products and im gunna start to try and get the stuff

Give me a idea of what you want and I can do a price check for you. I'm heading down to the Apex'i dealer in a few weeks to fix a vac leak and can get some pricing done to while I'm at it, of course that's all straight from the dealer price and you'll need to add a little more to that being that you are in the U.S. shipping and all that, etc etc.

13Bracer
10-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Give me a idea of what you want and I can do a price check for you. I'm heading down to the Apex'i dealer in a few weeks to fix a vac leak and can get some pricing done to while I'm at it, of course that's all straight from the dealer price and you'll need to add a little more to that being that you are in the U.S. shipping and all that, etc etc.

well i dont really know just like the stuff that i would need to protect it from major problems and such.
but yeah when i got here like a month ago i found uab and got some stuff put on my prelude by them i didnt know they really did engine estuff? i thought it was pretty much body work? yeah i tried to get a job there they said they could prolly make me a shop bitch which is fine for me but then they said they werent busy enough!:( :no: hah oh well but id really apriciate it cause this is gunna be my only car so i dont really want it to break down on me all the time and stuff so just find prices on what you think i would need to make it right thanks again

Type-R
10-23-2006, 11:12 PM
well i dont really know just like the stuff that i would need to protect it from major problems and such.
but yeah when i got here like a month ago i found uab and got some stuff put on my prelude by them i didnt know they really did engine estuff? i thought it was pretty much body work? yeah i tried to get a job there they said they could prolly make me a shop bitch which is fine for me but then they said they werent busy enough!:( :no: hah oh well but id really apriciate it cause this is gunna be my only car so i dont really want it to break down on me all the time and stuff so just find prices on what you think i would need to make it right thanks again

Np man, Albert can help you with the engine work, he was getting ready to do a turbo set up on my Si before I moved to Japan.

Five*Star*
10-26-2006, 12:00 PM

If you want to look at parts, and search for good prices, try these...

www.rotaryextreme.com
www.corksport.com
www.rotaryperformance.com
www.mazdatrix.com
www.rx7store.net
www.rotorsportsracing.com

Importdreamer56
10-31-2006, 04:38 PM
If you want to save a lot of money you could go for used parts.
I've gotten a lot of the things I've needed from rx7club for a lot less than new parts would cost.
www.rx7club.com
www.nopistons.com