PDA

View Full Version : Meteor shower this weekend...

quickdodgeŽ
10-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Best viewing windows: Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday morning, October 20-22. 1am - 6pm local daylight time are the best hours. Other mornings in the period of October 17-25 may also be productive.

Recommended for: Anyone interested in meteors.

The Orionids are capable of producing interesting activity from October 17-25. Maximum rates seen from a dark site may reach 20-25 per hour, but sometimes there are lulls even around the traditional maximum of October 21. Any given morning session may be more or less interesting than expected. In any case, clear mornings during the activity period are always good times to look for meteors from dark sites.

The Orionids are fast meteors, perhaps a bit faint on average but capable of producing fireballs. Note that the radiant is north of Betelgeuse and not right in the middle of Orion. A minor shower called the Epsilon Geminids has a nearby radiant that can cause confusion, but usually produces only 1-2 meteors per hour. Early activity from the Taurids can produce a few nice, slow meteors from radiants farther west. Finally, 5-15 sporadic meteors are usually visible each hour from dark sites.

Later, QD.

The Golden Child
10-21-2006, 05:37 PM
QD how about you take some pictures cause honestly last time when you posted i was outside getting bit by bugs trying to look for these daym meteor showers ..

now its just cold outside to do that and i dont feel like freezing to death outside trying to see these showers ..

Nittanys1
12-13-2006, 09:10 PM
there is one tonight starting at midnight! estimated 50 to 100 spotted per hour!

Nemesis
12-13-2006, 09:21 PM
there is one tonight starting at midnight! estimated 50 to 100 spotted per hour!

Thanks for the info, Im going to head out around then. Hopefully its clear enough for me to take a few snaps.

slowrolla97
12-13-2006, 09:25 PM
i will take a look.....this better not be a joke to get me to stand outside in the cold

Nittanys1
12-13-2006, 09:30 PM
sweet! I'd love to see some pics, my camera isnt going to do anything worth keeping....

Post up your results when you get done!!

Infinite
12-13-2006, 10:19 PM
ill be on my roof. but if its a joke someone is getting an ass kicking

Nittanys1
12-13-2006, 10:21 PM
no joke from me. I saw it on the news yesterday...im staying up for this too...or else I would be sleeping by now....

Infinite
12-13-2006, 10:23 PM
score, fuck my math project and cleaning the garage