PDA

View Full Version : Misc Vick Questions Role After Loss to Giants

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 09:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2632684

heres a quote that a lot of ppl forget when they bash vick..

Carter asked Vick if his old coach, Dan Reeves, was better for his game.

Vick answered: "When Reeves was here, I was 50 yards shy of 3,000 yards passing, and I was among top 15 in passing in NFL. Coach Reeves, he believed in me and gave me a chance to throw the football."

the man can throw the ball, he just doesnt have decent receivers and i think the schem is holding him back. sometimes i miss those dan reeves days

Brett
10-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Can you blame him for getting frustrated? I mean really think about it. How many of us yell at the TV each week when they run the ball all 3 downs and dont get any yards. They will not let Vick throw, and even when he does players like Crumpler this season have dropped every ball he has thrown. He is still one of the best QB's around, not only due to his running game but he can throw one hell of a game when he is allowed to and his recievers try and catch what he throws

con
10-20-2006, 09:34 AM
this shiat is quickly heading down hill like the past few seasons. hopefully they can get this thing back on track regardless of the scheme they choose to use.

I too hate when coaching plays a devastating role in a team's loss, been a victim of that shiat and it's a bitch to cope with.

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Can you blame him for getting frustrated? I mean really think about it. How many of us yell at the TV each week when they run the ball all 3 downs and dont get any yards. They will not let Vick throw, and even when he does players like Crumpler this season have dropped every ball he has thrown. He is still one of the best QB's around, not only due to his running game but he can throw one hell of a game when he is allowed to and his recievers try and catch what he throws
yeah i agree 100%, thats why i said i kinda miss those dan reeves days...i think mora is a great coach, i think its greg knapp the O coordinator thats holding us back. before the season started all we heard was how they were gonna let vick be vick and not try to hinder his game...so far that hasnt happened, i just pray they fix it soon before he starts demanding a trade

Brett
10-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah if he is saying now that he would like new teammates, he is starting to show his frustration. I just dont see how the coaches cant see what the problem is, even if Vick is flat out telling them "Let me play my game"

{X}Echo419
10-20-2006, 10:08 AM

I understand that the recievers aren't getting open and droping balls. but, look @ it like this; it you're a reciever 4 Vick 1/2 the time you don't know if you should block or not b/c he might take off running. :2cents:

ShooterMcGavin
10-20-2006, 10:11 AM
this shit is ridiculous, back when they wanted vick to throw, he and every fucking critic out there screamed that being a pocket passer wasn't his real game, that it was stiffling all his natural talent. now that they let him do whatever he wants to do he's complaining he's not putting up big #s? get the fuck outta heeeaaaaa :gay:

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 10:17 AM
this shit is ridiculous, back when they wanted vick to throw, he and every fucking critic out there screamed that being a pocket passer wasn't his real game, that it was stiffling all his natural talent. now that they let him do whatever he wants to do he's complaining he's not putting up big #s? get the fuck outta heeeaaaaa :gay:
true true

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
i still dont understand why everyone wanted dan reeves gone so bad, he took them to their only super bowl in 98, and vick was THE ultimate weapon when reeves was here. sucks he had to take the fall for that 5-11 season when vick was injured for like 13 games. we woulda been better off i think. heres another interesting read about dan reeves...

Vick continues to miss mark as passer

ATLANTA (AP) - Maybe the Atlanta Falcons should bring back Dan Reeves as their offensive coordinator.

Who knows? That might be what Michael Vick needs to improve his pitiful passing numbers. OK, so there's no chance of the Falcons sending out an SOS. to their venerable ex-coach, now retired and doing the occasional radio gig. But Vick was clearly a more effective passer in his one full season with Reeves running the offense than he is now, six years into his NFL career.

It's a rather stunning turn of events, considering Reeves was often criticized for being too conservative in his play-calling.

"He could throw the deep ball as well as anybody I ever saw," said Reeves, who still lives in Atlanta. "He had a great ability to lay it up for the receiver. You always wanted to take some shots deep with him."

These days, Vick is running a West Coast-style system that relies on short passes and timed routes. Even though this is his third year in the offense, he appears to be regressing.

He goes into Sunday's game against Pittsburgh with a 66.0 rating, 28th in the league behind such illustrious QBs as Cleveland's Charlie Frye, Buffalo's J.P. Losman and even Arizona's Kurt Warner, who already lost his starting job to rookie Matt Leinart.

Vick has completed barely half his passes (59 of 117) for 676 yards, with three touchdowns and three interceptions. Compare those puny numbers to the league's top-rated quarterback, Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb, who has thrown for 1,849 yards and 13 touchdowns with one less interception than Vick.

Better yet, look at what Vick did in 2002 when Reeves handed him the starting job.

First of all, the coach simplified the terminology and crafted a playbook focusing on plays the young quarterback had run at Virginia Tech, while incorporating others that seemed to fit his unique style. Reeves and his staff studied what the Steelers were doing at the time with jack-of-all-trades quarterback Kordell Stewart.

It seemed to work. In his first year as a starter, Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs while throwing for 2,936 yards, 16 touchdowns and an efficiency rating of 83.8. All three remain the best figures of his career and, at the going rate, are in no jeopardy of being surpassed this season.

Of course, the Steelers (2-3) are still worried about containing this one-of-a-kind player. The Falcons have the best running attack in the NFL, largely because their quarterback is on pace to rush for more than 1,200 yards.

cceinc
10-20-2006, 10:28 AM
We need Randy Moss

{X}Echo419
10-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Dan Reeves FTW! I was thinking, "wtf? why did they fire him?"

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
hell yea that country motherfucker was a hell of a coach...just brings back thoughts of the good ol days when names like "The Dirty Bird", Jamal Anderson, Terrence Mathis, and Ray Buchanan were heard so often

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 10:38 AM
We need Randy Moss
yeah, since hes making such a big impact on the raiders lol :screwy:

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 10:41 AM
but the real reason he is gone is because arthur blank came in and he wanted his own ppl, he wanted to make his own mark, he basically got rid of everybody except for vick, kevin mathis, keith brooking, and a few others. i like what hes done for the team and i think he wants whats best, but getting rid of reeves was a big mistake imo.

cceinc
10-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Compare Randy Moss to Any Falcon wide out. There is a big difference. One Oakland does not have a QB worth a damn. If Vick could trust a wide like he trust Finneran he would be a better passer. He has zero faith in the people cathing the ball. That and the coaching staff is not helping. My thing is if the ball is any where near your body or hands as a pro wide out you come down with the ball. Randy Moss can catch anything. That is what we need or Calvin Johnson.

PhAtBoYMr2
10-20-2006, 11:38 AM
dan reeves was the man, i remember meeting him back in 2000, he was a great guy and easy to get along with. Mora is a good coach but we need to work on our play calling, start running play action, shotgun, and throw the ball downfield a little more.

Falcons do need some fucking recivers, jenkins missed a 60 yard touchdown pass from vick in that giants game and he drops a big pass like every game....this is ridiculous.

VegetaRules
10-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I hate having to defend Vick daily on my Madden site. I remember Vick throwing out of 3-wide bunch sets, while still running the ball with Anderson & Dunn. Dunn had more catches in his 1 season with Reeeves with 50, he hasn't had more than 30 since.

Falcons have speed EVERYWHERE, Lelie,White,Norwood,Jenkins,Dunn,& hell even Hall yet they have no imagination, no creativity, they all just run streaks,or outs.

I swear if Shannahan,Reid,Martz was o-co-ordinator, or Head Coach, Vick would be SB QB by now....Vegeta

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Compare Randy Moss to Any Falcon wide out. There is a big difference. One Oakland does not have a QB worth a damn. If Vick could trust a wide like he trust Finneran he would be a better passer. He has zero faith in the people cathing the ball. That and the coaching staff is not helping. My thing is if the ball is any where near your body or hands as a pro wide out you come down with the ball. Randy Moss can catch anything. That is what we need or Calvin Johnson.
so first you say Oaklands qbs arent worth a damn, then you say randy moss can catch anything...if he could catch anything it shouldnt matter about the QB. all im sayin is vick isnt exactly the most accurate passer and as soon as he air mails a few balls 10 yrds over his head, moss will be back to his old self, bitchin n shit...he already wants outta oakland

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I hate having to defend Vick daily on my Madden site. I remember Vick throwing out of 3-wide bunch sets, while still running the ball with Anderson & Dunn. Dunn had more catches in his 1 season with Reeeves with 50, he hasn't had more than 30 since.

Falcons have speed EVERYWHERE, Lelie,White,Norwood,Jenkins,Dunn,& hell even Hall yet they have no imagination, no creativity, they all just run streaks,or outs.

I swear if Shannahan,Reid,Martz was o-co-ordinator, or Head Coach, Vick would be SB QB by now....Vegeta
VERY true, i dont follow the broncos very much and wat system they use and all that, but it seems like every time i saw them on tv, lelie was catching a 60 or 70 yd bomb for a td under shanahan...and jake plummer imo doesnt have as good a arm as vick, so i know we could do the same here with lelie

PhAtBoYMr2
10-20-2006, 12:07 PM
lelie doesnt play much because he hasnt got the play book down yet, but even before this season started i knew falcons would struggle if we didnt pick it up at the reciver part of the game....we lost finneran but picked up lelie, i think finneran and lelie on the field would be a good combo...there both tall and make good grabs and are pretty fast.

But yeah we need to beat the steelers on sunday and make a statement.

TeeJay
10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
lelie doesnt play much because he hasnt got the play book down yet, but even before this season started i knew falcons would struggle if we didnt pick it up at the reciver part of the game....we lost finneran but picked up lelie, i think finneran and lelie on the field would be a good combo...there both tall and make good grabs and are pretty fast.

But yeah we need to beat the steelers on sunday and make a statement.
we need to beat the steelers not only to make a statement, but to stay alive for a playoff spot...the saints are unbeatable at home and theyre pretty good on the road, and now that steve smith is back, the panthers are pickin it up too. were 3rd in the division right now

TeeJay
10-24-2006, 12:43 PM
HOW BOUT EM!!!

ShooterMcGavin
10-24-2006, 01:06 PM
good game, though i believe outcome could've/would've been different had toothlessberger didn't get knocked out of the game.

TeeJay
10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
good game, though i believe outcome could've/would've been different had toothlessberger didn't get knocked out of the game.
IDK man, batch was lightn em up out there, they didnt seem to miss a beat...but the falcons were hangin right with em. im just glad we won the toss in overtime lol

TeeJay
10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: