PDA

View Full Version : can spinning be winning?

lightspeed
10-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Ok, its time for a fresh topic, so I figured Id post-up a potentially spicy one.
Recently, it seems that it has become common for people to respect the car that demonstrates greater horsepower during a race more than the one that actually "wins" the race. For example, take a race from 40-140. The person who is behind at 140 could actually get more respect from the masses than the person who did win, if he is (1) spinning hard, (2) pulling back on the winner hard at the end or (3) if they keep going past the agreed-to speed and eventually he catches the winner.
The result is that racing, in a lot of ways, has become simply a comparison of how much power/weight you have. People really seem to only want to race others who they think they have a lower power/weight ratio. It eliminates a lot of the competition that used to exist. Until recently, most people ended-up running other people without any idea of how fast the others were. Sometimes the fun of the competition was more important than the potential they might loose.
Im not saying everyone was like that, or that no one likes competition now, but it does seem things are changing somewhat.
Anyway, this is obviously from my perspective, so I want to hear other people's opinions on the topic. How do you perceive the modern world of streetracing to be?

jackdaripper
10-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Highway racing is mad tight yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIGERJC
10-19-2006, 01:41 AM
roll racing is not real racing. DIG racing is really the true way to judge both the driver and the car to me. spinning is not winning

Tank
10-19-2006, 05:59 AM
roll racing is not real racing. DIG racing is really the true way to judge both the driver and the car to me. spinning is not winning
i can agree there, however some dont look at it the same due to there lack of skill or fear of a good dig run. this is where seat time plays a factor. but i definitly agree dig runs are more accurate way of displaying ones driving skill as well as car potential.

andrew

slowhawk01
10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
A "REAL RACE" as you guys put it is any type of racing that 2 indiviuals or more is competing in against each other on some agreed type of rules and the winner is based upon the rules used befor the race. Dig racing is for some, highways for other, twisties for others. Its all in what you enjoy. Thats what nobody seems to do anymore is just ENJOY. Thats why I think there are a bunch of fakes on here always talk about racing and you walk up and ask then to race for FUN and they say no you would beat me. Thats just pathedic:goodjob:

Fast Shadow
10-19-2006, 12:47 PM
well put slowhawk

2.3 Evo 8
10-19-2006, 01:23 PM

+1 :goodjob:

LETZ RUN
10-19-2006, 01:42 PM
I think that roll racing is more based on the hp & gearing as dragracing is more about how the car works together as a whole. i'd rather see the car work together as a whole then just the person with more hp winning.

lightspeed
10-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Thats why I think there are a bunch of fakes on here always talk about racing and you walk up and ask then to race for FUN and they say no you would beat me. Thats just pathedic:goodjob:
I agree for the most part. However, there are limits to what is "realistic" to even try. You, for example, have more HP than most of the people on here...in many cases by a large margin. Therefore, its kinda ludicrous to expect someone with a 300 whp car to go run you 40-140 when youve got double their power. It should at-least be fair, unless the slower car really just wants to see the faster one run.

Lankhoss
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, first off, street racing (to me) isn't "serious" racing. If you were serious about racing, you'd be at a track. I don't think having money bet on it, changes things.

With that being said, I agree to some extent about it simply being a numbers game. It pretty much is. Personally, I like to know what I'm racing against, for 2 reasons. 1) I don't think there's ANYBODY who doesn't know what my car has, to begin with. I think it's only fair that both people involved either do, or don't know. And 2) I personally have more fun with a good race, than I do winning. Winning by 8 cars is more disappointing to me than losing by 2. So often times I'll ask what people have, to gauge what kinda race I'm up against. Just like right now, I know a guy with a Cobra who has almost identical w:p ratio as I do. I can't wait to race him, because no matter who wins, it will be a good race.

But to elaborate on my personal views of racing, I never in my life thought I'd do it as much as I do now. I'm more of a car enthusiast, than a racer. I just enjoy my car, period. My favorite races were the totally random ones....where I'd be driving down the road, and some guy would get up next to me and we'd start playing around. What happened with me was, my new car is actually faster than pretty much anything you are normally gonna come across while cruising around (not trying to brag, but it is true). So I got together with a group of "car guys" and it all snowballed into me actually going to car meets, places where street racers would gather, and actually setting up races. I used to street race all the time when I was younger, and not once was it ever planned out, or did I agree to a predetermined location and condition(s). Things were way different then, though. Most cars had anywhere from 180 - 400bhp. So the gap of performance wasn't all that big. Anyone with much more horsepower than that, just raced at the track. It was mostly bolt on Mustangs and Camaros who all cruised in one location. Now, cars have SUBSTANTIALLY higher horsepower, even in stock form. And kids have tons more money than they used to. I think these two things have kinda killed the "casual racing" that used to be so fun to me, and that's why you see a lot of what you are describing in your first thread.

Tank
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
i like this thread alot of good points being brought to light

Fast Shadow
10-19-2006, 03:50 PM
This is the best place to judge the driver and the car.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cb/Road_Atlanta.gif/280px-Road_Atlanta.gif

slowhawk01
10-19-2006, 04:31 PM
I agree for the most part. However, there are limits to what is "realistic" to even try. You, for example, have more HP than most of the people on here...in many cases by a large margin. Therefore, its kinda ludicrous to expect someone with a 300 whp car to go run you 40-140 when youve got double their power. It should at-least be fair, unless the slower car really just wants to see the faster one run.

To me horse power numbers mean nothing in the world to me. The only time they matter is during a dyno day. I know of a certain car who weighs 3900LBS and according to the dyno only makes 740RWHP yet at the track it ran a 10.1 at 141MPH and he was on and off the throttle for the first 60ft and only leaving off the footbrake.:thinking: To me racing should be fun for everyone than there are people who make it very unfun I'm not mentioning any names bet there are.HP #'s to me mean nothing if the car won't go anywhere mine is a good example. Is it fast? YES. Will it do anything on its street tires? NO. But I'm to lazy to switch out tires and wheels all the time so I just leave them be and except that I will probably loose to alot of cars because of traction but thats my choice non the less and I won't make excuses for it.:no: But I still race even though I won't catch traction and I know that.

b0ki
10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
I think all my call outs where fair.... by calling out people with same power/or more and i think less weight ....

OHYOUKNOW
10-19-2006, 05:02 PM
. How do you perceive the modern world of streetracing to be?

the current state of streetracing is a fucking joke in my opinion. now it seems like if its not from a roll, then no one wants to do it, press and media, not to mention all the fucking idiots have made it almost impossible to have a good night of hanging out, doing a little racing, winning or losing a little gas money. its just become a joke. but then again thats just my .02

and i dont care what anyone says, running from a roll just tests the car has nothing to do with the driver, doing the twistes is a whole different subject. but to me street has always and will always mean 1/8 or 1/4 from a DIG. to many people have a lack of confidence in them selves to put a car togther that will work:D

2.3 Evo 8
10-19-2006, 06:11 PM
not to mention all the fucking idiots have made it almost impossible to have a good night of hanging out, doing a little racing, winning or losing a little gas money. its just become a joke. but then again thats just my .02

If people didn't meet up at places like BP first, the dumbass ricers wouldn't follow everybody.

Last time I was up there during a weekend meet, two cars were leaving to race and 6 cars followed them.

I say if you want to race, meet up somewhere else. If you want to hang out with a bunch of people, go up to BP on PH.

Has anybody even considered the fact that Gwinnett PD has a helicopter? You know, that blue bird in the sky you can't see at night that could follow anybody at anytime.

OHYOUKNOW
10-19-2006, 09:38 PM
If people didn't meet up at places like BP first, the dumbass ricers wouldn't follow everybody.

Last time I was up there during a weekend meet, two cars were leaving to race and 6 cars followed them.

I say if you want to race, meet up somewhere else. If you want to hang out with a bunch of people, go up to BP on PH.

Has anybody even considered the fact that Gwinnett PD has a helicopter? You know, that blue bird in the sky you can't see at night that could follow anybody at anytime.

the dumbasses seem to somehow find it no matter what, take for instance the koger...............we(a select few mostly domestics) can be there, they cant run us off, but when everyone else decided to make it a second spot it makes it harder for us. now im not saying that all of the people that come up there fucked it up, but there is a large majority that did. hell the last time i was up there we had to have a 30 min conversation with the police about why they couldnt run us off, he said the same thing...........large crowds bread morons:goodjob: thats why we moved somewhere else...............

and im sure the people who arent awhere of the chopper will be soon, and as far as some hwy runs. people be very careful in the next few weeks:police:

Lankhoss
10-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I two big reasons you don't see dig races much anymore are 1) Cars have a LOT more power than they used to, and 2) Most cars are equipped with "luxury" type suspensions with IRS or other "soft" axles.

It's just normal now for cars to have over 400whp. While there have been strong cars around for years and years, I don't think it's even been so common to have 500, 600, and 700hp engines in people's daily drivers. And that's the thing, these are people's daily drivers.....not all out drag cars. So most aren't spending tons of money (that they don't have anyway) to convert their cars over to dig racing, and giving up all the other niceties of their stock suspension.

By the way, you guys need to go up into Hall County. And also, race when there's no one else around. I'm just guessing here, but I doubt the cops would be out looking for street racers if innocent commuters weren't constantly SEEING these people race on the highways.

The Green Monster
10-19-2006, 10:50 PM
This is the best place to judge the driver and the car.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cb/Road_Atlanta.gif/280px-Road_Atlanta.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/cs/8/80/Nurburgring.jpg

:goodjob:

and i love all the points being made here...i'm a fan of dig racing cuz my car isn't always the fastest but i always know how to launch them exceptionally well :bump:

OHYOUKNOW
10-19-2006, 10:51 PM
By the way, you guys need to go up into Hall County. And also, race when there's no one else around. I'm just guessing here, but I doubt the cops would be out looking for street racers if innocent commuters weren't constantly SEEING these people race on the highways.

you have to go where the cars are, there arent to many running around in hall LOL atleast with out a 3/4 race cam and a set of stage 5 double humps:lmfao:

that goes back to the whole hwy thing......................................

you cant get a race with no one around, everyone wants to come and watch if you do they are few and far imbetween.

the cops will continue to look for street racers no matter what, the media has put a spotlight on it, and to many fucking idiots dont know how to get down with out causing the wrong kind of attention:goodjob:

Lankhoss
10-19-2006, 11:49 PM
you have to go where the cars are, there arent to many running around in hall LOL atleast with out a 3/4 race cam and a set of stage 5 double humps:lmfao:

that goes back to the whole hwy thing......................................

you cant get a race with no one around, everyone wants to come and watch if you do they are few and far imbetween.

the cops will continue to look for street racers no matter what, the media has put a spotlight on it, and to many fucking idiots dont know how to get down with out causing the wrong kind of attention:goodjob:

I'm not saying go up there LOOKING for one...but if you're gonna run up I-85 or 985, don't do it in Gwinnett County. Also, cops aren't gonna "allow" street racing...but why do you think they're out patrolling areas looking for the races now? Because people call in....probably truckers mostly....telling them they're watching cars race. If you're not doing it around "normal" traffic, the police aren't going to be alerted. And it's ok to have 8 cars all go out for one race. It's nice to have a few cars up ahead a ways to watch the highway and look for cops/traffic, and also nice having a few behind you to do the same thing...and let you know when traffic is coming up from behind. It's just, you don't wanna go out in the MIDDLE OF TRAFFIC with ten cars and shut down an interstate.

jtownaccord
10-20-2006, 02:04 PM
U r exactly right. :goodjob: Always good to have lookouts following and definately ahead of u. U r right about the truckers and other motorists calling it in, u have no idea. I have a police scanner in my car, I hear about that all the time. Gwinnett is definately a hot spot, as well as Cobb. Streetracing should be done in a area not known for streetracing, but everybody is going to go where everybody else hangs out and races. Up where I live, we have spots that u would never even have to worry about cops coming, problem is there is not many cars around to race and nobody wants to drive all the way up to our area. Im sure it is like that everywhere.
I'm not saying go up there LOOKING for one...but if you're gonna run up I-85 or 985, don't do it in Gwinnett County. Also, cops aren't gonna "allow" street racing...but why do you think they're out patrolling areas looking for the races now? Because people call in....probably truckers mostly....telling them they're watching cars race. If you're not doing it around "normal" traffic, the police aren't going to be alerted. And it's ok to have 8 cars all go out for one race. It's nice to have a few cars up ahead a ways to watch the highway and look for cops/traffic, and also nice having a few behind you to do the same thing...and let you know when traffic is coming up from behind. It's just, you don't wanna go out in the MIDDLE OF TRAFFIC with ten cars and shut down an interstate.

slowhawk01
10-20-2006, 05:56 PM

Kind of like we did the other night. There was nobody around at all. I felt like we were the only ones on the road:D

Lankhoss
10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Kind of like we did the other night. There was nobody around at all. I felt like we were the only ones on the road:D

Yep, it's a little bit of a drive...but well worth it!

Incontt
10-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Matt that car dynod 712 straight from the track...added another pound of boost to get 740

I dont streetrace...you guys make it seem like a big clusterfuck...arguing about finish line ...outcome....people "steal" the hit....some dont pay...it just doesnt sound too fun standing around all night listening to a bunch of bullshit. Be safe! :)

shkettle
10-20-2006, 09:12 PM
yeah that night there was no one in site. we should have stopped on the interstate and done a couple from a dig

slowhawk01
10-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Matt that car dynod 712 straight from the track...added another pound of boost to get 740

I dont streetrace...you guys make it seem like a big clusterfuck...arguing about finish line ...outcome....people "steal" the hit....some dont pay...it just doesnt sound too fun standing around all night listening to a bunch of bullshit. Be safe! :)

Your right Jerry street racing does suck big time lately. I wish I could pick up 38RWHp form 1LB of boost. She wasn't running rich straight form the track was she:yes: . Also you are right it sucks standing around all night listening to a bunch of bullshit especially now that cold weather is here:D . Thats why I'm staying at home:police:

AnthonyF
10-21-2006, 08:00 AM
it is kinda obvious when there are 100 cars behind a BP and they are constantly coming and going. They know what is going on. We need to find a better area so we do not have cops sitting on the highway waiting for us. We had a great spot about 2-3 months ago. Not going to say where but hopefully most remember.

slowhawk-you know i don't bullshit. lol. U wanted to race me, i was like fuck that! lol. You'd beat my ass. Maybe one of these days i'll run you...well...run with you for 1/2 a second then stare at your cars ass. :)

2.3 Evo 8
10-21-2006, 12:52 PM
There were 16 fuckin cars following the race last night! Why do so many people need to follow a group of cars out?

I won't be racing my car around any of them.

There should only be ONE spotter ahead and ONE spotter behind, not a football team with all its cheerleaders.

That was complete BULLSHIT!

warpd
10-27-2006, 10:07 PM
If its not from a dig, its nor real racing. I don't want to go out and see which person has spent the most money, I want to see a car with a balanced setup that can hook hard on the street, not a dyno queen that starts making power at 6k rpm.

David88vert
10-28-2006, 06:06 AM
If its not from a dig, its nor real racing. I don't want to go out and see which person has spent the most money, I want to see a car with a balanced setup that can hook hard on the street, not a dyno queen that starts making power at 6k rpm.

Why don't you tell the folks up at RA that? And F1, and Nascar.I sure they would get a chuckle.:lmfao:

Racing is racing, doesn't have to be from a dig, nor does it have to be in a straight line.

Flip
10-28-2006, 06:12 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/cs/8/80/Nurburgring.jpg

:goodjob:

and i love all the points being made here...i'm a fan of dig racing cuz my car isn't always the fastest but i always know how to launch them exceptionally well :bump:

you are correct sir.

warpd
10-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Why don't you tell the folks up at RA that? And F1, and Nascar.I sure they would get a chuckle.:lmfao:

Racing is racing, doesn't have to be from a dig, nor does it have to be in a straight line.

Are you seriously comparing F1 or even NASCAR to any form of street racing? You are not Michael Schumacher, get over it. The name of the game is 1/8 or 1/4 from a dig. I'm not saying I don't mess around from a roll on occasion but this 80,90,100mph roll bullshit is getting out of hand.

HiPSI
10-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Are you seriously comparing F1 or even NASCAR to any form of street racing? You are not Michael Schumacher, get over it. The name of the game is 1/8 or 1/4 from a dig. I'm not saying I don't mess around from a roll on occasion but this 80,90,100mph roll bullshit is getting out of hand.

a race is anything the two parties involved agree on either distance or time involved. most people race from a roll just because it's easier to go get it done and less likelihood of getting nabbed for it. a lot of the spots people go to run digs are well known after a short time and have very little in the way of exits/escape routes if the police do show up.

i do agree that a roll is less about the driver and more about the car, but for just some fun runs it's the way to go.

Nyteryder
10-28-2006, 12:25 PM
a race is anything the two parties involved agree on either distance or time involved. most people race from a roll just because it's easier to go get it done and less likelihood of getting nabbed for it. a lot of the spots people go to run digs are well known after a short time and have very little in the way of exits/escape routes if the police do show up.

i do agree that a roll is less about the driver and more about the car, but for just some fun runs it's the way to go.

AGREED!!!

warpd
10-28-2006, 06:37 PM
The whole reason I got into cars and street racing was because my good friend had a little shitbox 3 different colored 88 5.0 hatchback he bought for 250 dollars with no smog and a/c, had an off-road h-pipe, and gears that would outrun an LS1 F-body consistently on the street from a dig. That car hooked hard as shit and on some shitty pep-boys tires too. Thats what makes street racing fun is you never know whats gonna happen. Running from a roll takes all the fun out of it, besides making a short little 1/8 or 1/4 mile blast up a backroad sounds alot safer to me than doing 150mph+ past traffic up 85.

Lankhoss
10-29-2006, 02:57 PM
"Short little dig" races are more fun for slower cars heh

OHYOUKNOW
10-29-2006, 03:52 PM
"Short little dig" races are more fun for slower cars heh

LOL, well i certianly dont like to run that 60-160 bullshit on the street, and if you think its the "slower" cars that run from a dig, you are sadly misinformed man. i prefer "short little dig" just because its safer for me, its hell to rain a car in at 140+, not to mention all you numbnuts running up the highway what are yall going to do when a deer jumps out in front of you

:thinking: :D

David88vert
10-29-2006, 09:43 PM

I'm not comparing them. You stated, "If its not from a dig, its nor real racing." Doesn't sound like you put the term "street" in there at all .....

Incontt
10-30-2006, 06:16 AM
to each his own.....most people are going to compete in races where their car is competitive. I don't know why people get bent over someone elses preference to type of racing.

Lankhoss
10-30-2006, 06:53 AM
LOL, well i certianly dont like to run that 60-160 bullshit on the street, and if you think its the "slower" cars that run from a dig, you are sadly misinformed man. i prefer "short little dig" just because its safer for me, its hell to rain a car in at 140+, not to mention all you numbnuts running up the highway what are yall going to do when a deer jumps out in front of you

:thinking: :D

So it's safer for cars with massive horsepower to be spinning all over the place and possibly losing control of their vehicles than it is to do a high speed run? I'm not saying ONLY slow cars do a race from a dig, just that cars without overwhelming horsepower are more fun to do it with. 2 reasons 1) The race lasts longer when your 1/8th mile is 11 seconds, instead of 7 and 2) You can just hook and go, there isn't nearly as much throttle feathering needed.

I feel WAY more safe doing a highway pull than a dig race. What are all the dig racers gonna do when a deer jumps out in front of them doing 80mph? It's gonna be bad either way.

Incontt
10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
So it's safer for cars with massive horsepower to be spinning all over the place and possibly losing control of their vehicles than it is to do a high speed run? I'm not saying ONLY slow cars do a race from a dig, just that cars without overwhelming horsepower are more fun to do it with. 2 reasons 1) The race lasts longer when your 1/8th mile is 11 seconds, instead of 7 and 2) You can just hook and go, there isn't nearly as much throttle feathering needed.

I feel WAY more safe doing a highway pull than a dig race. What are all the dig racers gonna do when a deer jumps out in front of them doing 80mph? It's gonna be bad either way.

agreed!