PDA

View Full Version : ****turbos****

dowhatido
10-18-2006, 01:19 PM
what is the best type of turbo. you hear all this ball bearing, oil cooled, air cooled. i would like to get a couple of out takes on this. i'm soon to buy a turbo for a b18c1 in a 95 civic coupe.......lets see what kinda input you got.
what type of mapping is needed to make the turbo strong, but durable for a daily driver.......or is any of that i just said even right. i realy dont know a lot about the turbo...i wish i could sit and talk to som1 who knew a shit ton for about an hour or 2.........

HeLLo iM iZzY
10-18-2006, 10:19 PM
1 site.....WWW.HONDA-TECH.COM

dowhatido
10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
ya i've been thru that forum, but it's seems that no-one can give me info that i want, this is one of those things that's an investment...so i want to do it right, i dont want to get just a small fast spooling turbo, and then be limited, but i dont want to get a big turbo and not have is spool fast enough for what i want, then i dont know do i want air or oil cooled???? these questions are driving me crazy, cause i've been ready to this for a while and now i'm stuck. on top of that i dont want to just ask one person and go with that, i want a bunch of suggestion to pick thru.....if any of that makes sense

allmotoronly
10-23-2006, 12:52 PM
ball bearing and oil cooled are better. for an oil cooled turbo, make sure your oil pump can handle the extra work, and add an oil cooler. On a B series I would get an aftermarket oil pump if I were you.

Spyder
10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
I need to just make a website for all these damn turbo/intercooler/bov/power making questions...

There is no such thing as an "air cooled" turbo. There is such thing as a oil cooled and an oil AND water cooled. The only difference between an oil and an oil/water cooler turbo is the amount and type of cooling a turbo recieves.

For longevity it is best to have an oil and water because it provides 2 sources of cooling and you dont have to let the car cool as long after a hard run.

If you go turbo buy a turbo timer, they let the car cool down some and allow the oil inside the turbo housing to cool the housing to a level where it wont basically bake the oil to the cover.

Ball bearing Vs Non-ball bearing, its simple... A ball bearing turbo is not common (but not impossible to find) in a factory built car, most are standard bearings. A ball bearing turbo spools faster then a non and also has a tendency to last a bit longer, depending on use.

Oil changes are important with a turbo because the oil is now going thru a hell of a lot higher heat source then it origionally did. Also run synthetic.

As far as the size of turbo you should run you may want to do the easiest thing and consult a shop that can give you adivce and reference dyno sheets and graphs they have done before. Generally speaking the smaller the turbo the lower RPM it boost and and the more low end power it makes,However in doing so it will lack the upper RPM power. In a larger the turbo the opposite is true.

I am not a honda master and I do not claim to be but turbos and motors are pretty universal in a basic sense atleast.

§treet_§peed
10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
one name if you want to know about honda's pm MIKE aka MR. vteckidd aka Mr 2jzkidd:goodjob: but i personally like the benefits of a nice little gt35r turbo setup ball bearing of course..:D

TheChosenOne
11-25-2006, 01:13 AM
sooo.... if I wanted to go boost on a stock ls with 100k on it, would this even be possible, or should I do some internal work. If I don't do internal work, could I get away with a set of cams and a low psi???