PDA

View Full Version : What age is TOO old to be livin with the parents?

Lizbiz101
10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
People can live with the parents for as long as they want. Free rent hell yea! I just want to know when your too old to still be livin at home with your parents?

:idb:

Cato ED-6
10-17-2006, 04:14 PM
um....18? 21?
Get out by the end of high school.

TeeJay
10-17-2006, 04:16 PM
i didnt move out till i was 23, becuase my home life was cake lol...nobody cared wat i did or where i went or what time i came home, but u gotta leave osmetime

Sammich
10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
18..i didnt move out till i was 20

Wurm
10-17-2006, 04:20 PM
ive moved out twice but keep coming back but i enjoy living here so i dont care

phongt12
10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
i'm 20, and i still have all my stuff at my parents' house, but i have a place here in athens since i'm at UGA. i won't really "move out" til i'm probably out of college.

Sammich
10-17-2006, 04:23 PM
i dnt wanna go back PERIOD..im out and i wana stay out

Keebs ð¿ð
10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm 21 and still live with my parents. Its not so bad here though. They don't care what I do, what time of night/morning I come home, if I bring a girl home with me. Its whatever, I don't have to pay rent but I do have to buy my own food/drinks. I don't mind, its still alot cheaper than living on my own and its still pretty laid back here

TeeJay
10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
i dnt wanna go back PERIOD..im out and i wana stay out
yeah i feel ya, my gf is always like, lets move back with your mom, itll save so much money blah blah...but i dont mind spendin money on rent and bills when im so much happier...plus im 26 fuckin yrs old lol, id be like the 40 year old virgin, minus the virgin part of course :D

Ran
10-17-2006, 04:27 PM
21 and just moved out this past weekend. I wanted out right after the end of high school, but for most people it just doesn't make sense.

The Golden Child
10-17-2006, 04:31 PM
ive been paying things on my own since 16 ..

but i think a good age to live on your own is after college ..

ahmonrah
10-17-2006, 04:39 PM
out @17(military), back for 3months @19(after military), ghost until sept-05, regrouped, ghost again. never to return.....unless it's sunday and moms is cooking sunday dinner.

TeeJay
10-17-2006, 04:43 PM
who voted 28-30 lol....brett??

ORGANIZATIONXIII
10-17-2006, 04:45 PM
depends on the situation..

I have a friend that is 25 and still lives at home.. but he only does it to make sure his mom is ok, she has some type of cancer that I can't remember at this moment..

but I moved out when I was 17, came back home for 5 months, then been out on my own since.. I've had problems since then, trying to recover now.

LIZBIZ, your from "da bridge"????

HvyArms
10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
I moved out when I was 15.

they called it state custody, I called it My First Apartment:goodjob:

ATK_Designs
10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm 23 and I still with my parents. But then again, I'm the primary householder. I'm the only child and I have to take care of them. It's more like a Vietnamese traditional thing. :) And it's nothing to be ashamed of.

My dad is still working though I makes enough money to support the family. Oh well, I'll force him to retire once I get to 6 figures, soon:)

CSquared
10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm 21 and still live with my Dad... It's just me and him so it's more like a bachelor pad than anything else. I'll probably stay here until i'm done with college or find a chick i want to move in with. Why spend all the extra money for a pos apartment when i live in a nice house with a garage where i can make all the noise i want and the food is free?

VegetaRules
10-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I personally think every situation is different. In this world nowadays, you need to be a 2- income household to live good most of the time. I think too many people rush out on their own, because of " embarressment", then get laughed at while they struggle, & the laughees are living it up.

I personally think APT's are a true waste of money, I have left, & came back home to finish saving-up to buy a house next year. I also cameback to help my moms out, as she helped me when I was inbetween jobs. Apt's take $700+ that you could be putting towards a home, which you will actually own. lol

I still voted 28-30. Apt's aren't yours, never will be, plus you move every year, or get rent raised, I don't like to move, so I'm looking for houses now that the finacee is workin lol:goodjob: :goodjob: Gotta love women who work :yes: ....Vegeta

BluesClues
10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
i'm 20, and i still have all my stuff at my parents' house, but i have a place here in athens since i'm at UGA. i won't really "move out" til i'm probably out of college.
Yeah I am still at home at 21 only because I am in college. I am trying my best to move out though, but a little worried about how to do it while in school. I am sure there is a way just have to figure it out

ahmonrah
10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
yeah, every situation is different. if your folks dont mind you stayin, and that arrangement works, so be it. but in agreement w/ the prior poster, why rent when you can own? i did apts til 24, when me and my girl bought a crib. now i'm looking to buy another one, so that when we get married(or split, you never know what could happen) we will have property to rent/sell to build the fortress.

toonz
10-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Im back and forth from Atl(moms) and NY(cousins) Im always out of town so I don't need no place

toonz
10-17-2006, 05:41 PM
So really im on my own but not really my mail goes to my moms house but im always in New York

Lizbiz101
10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
LIZBIZ, your from "da bridge"????

Yeah man, lived in "da BORING bridge" for most my life....sigh...lol

ORGANIZATIONXIII
10-17-2006, 05:44 PM
^^^ it is indeed BORING

Lizbiz101
10-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Do I deserve reps? cuz you see some L.O.S.E.R decided to give me some bad ones as a "joke"....boys....lol

Hulud
10-17-2006, 06:44 PM
after your done with college or 21 but i picked 25 because some people take some time to finish school.................like myself lol

quickdodge®
10-17-2006, 06:52 PM
People can live with the parents for as long as they want. Free rent hell yea! I just want to know when your too old to still be livin at home with your parents?

:idb:

You're definitely not old enough. Stay at home until you mature. Later, QD.

Jimmy B
10-17-2006, 06:56 PM
you are old enough when you can take car of yourself in every situation...

not just, YES, IM OUTA THE HOUSE, I CAN PARTY!!! WOO HOO....

thats the worst attitude to move out with..

i was 24, and if i could, i would be back there in a minute!

3.5altman
10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
im 23 and i live at home, the main reason is I help mom out on the bills and house note. I wanna move out but I gotta make sure mom is straight

bdydrpdmazda
10-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I moved out at 18 and now im 22 and married so it looks like im never going back

Bajjani
10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
i posted 28 causae like thru college if u go far enough away you arent actually there but once u graduate im all for living at home and savin up some $$ to get a nice house or a new car and shit while u get situated with the real life job n shit

Ruiner
10-17-2006, 08:51 PM
18. I moved out when I was 18 and went to college.

Listen, you can buy a house with 0 money down these days. The "I am saving money" excuse really doesn't fly in the state of GA. Perhaps in other states/cities, but with GA it can be done.

If you have an excuse that you help your parents (perhaps one is disabled or something), then you are good to go. However, living at home rent free, especially after school, IS NOT the real world. Grow up, get a place of your own, and start your life.

AWD OWNZ U
10-17-2006, 09:06 PM
I moved out when I was 17 and moved to Michigan for college. I moved back home after I graduated when I was 21 for about a year. I had a job for most of it, but I wasn't really sure what I was gonna do longer term so I was just banking the money. Ended up moving out here for grad school and buying a condo. I don't intend to ever move back home again. My parents are cool, but it's tough bringing girls back to your parents place. Anything past college and you are a little too old IMO. Exceptions of course for sick parents and whatnot. I met a guy who was 37 and still lived with his parents. He said he'd move out when he got married. I have a feeling he will live there the rest of his life...

Black R
10-17-2006, 09:12 PM
18. I moved out when I was 18 and went to college.

Listen, you can buy a house with 0 money down these days. The "I am saving money" excuse really doesn't fly in the state of GA. Perhaps in other states/cities, but with GA it can be done.

If you have an excuse that you help your parents (perhaps one is disabled or something), then you are good to go. However, living at home rent free, especially after school, IS NOT the real world. Grow up, get a place of your own, and start your life.

I disagree. These days, it'd make more sense (if it's domestically viable for your situation) to stay at home until you at least have the bachelors of your choice; in your field. Many jobs these days don't make GOOD money until you have a masters degree, so it's possible that you could stay at home and finish your education before venturing out on a single income.

There are always exceptions, but having gone out on my own and working my way through college, I can attest to the fact that grades are more important than pride over living at home with mommy and daddy.

Ruiner
10-17-2006, 09:19 PM
I disagree. These days, it'd make more sense (if it's domestically viable for your situation) to stay at home until you at least have the bachelors of your choice; in your field. Many jobs these days don't make GOOD money until you have a masters degree, so it's possible that you could stay at home and finish your education before venturing out on a single income.

There are always exceptions, but having gone out on my own and working my way through college, I can attest to the fact that grades are more important than pride over living at home with mommy and daddy.

I disagree. I worked my way through college and still got great grades. Heck, I was 3 classes away from going to med school! Getting through school doesn't take a ton of cash. Oh, and I went to one of the top 10 party schools in the nation. I know (knew) how to balance work, school, and fun. It forces you to grow up very quickly.

Jobs these days are actually paying more than what they were back in '99 when I graduated college. Screw pride. The ability to do it on your own is what is causes you to grow up. People wonder why kids are more and more immature these days. Nobody is having to "grow up" anymore. Instead, they live at home for free and learn nothing about the real world.

GTScoob
10-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I've been out of my parents house since I was 18 and went off to college but they still pay my rent since I'm at school. Well technically they own the house I live in but we bought it as a POS last year and me and my parents spent a lot of time fixing it up, my two roommates pay rent, I just have to keep this house in one piece so that my parents can make money off of it in a couple of years (I wouldnt mind buying it off of them given the chance though).

Bajjani
10-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Ruiner, I completely disagree with that. First off, I never said living with your parents is the real world. Sure, you can find a house with almost 0 down. But how is it NOT wise to live with your parents for a year or two save up some money and make your future a bit easier? personally i think if thats an option you should take advantage of it, and yes I'm talking the first year or two out of college.

Here is how I see it. Say I start off making 40 a year. So lets say I bring home 20 after all those lovely taxes. Now, if I can avoid paying a house payment or for an apartment and save that money up, and save like 10 grand+ over a year or two, which in real estate doesn't seem that much anymore, wouldn't that be a good decision? If you dont think its the real world fine, neither do I. I live on my own now but my parents still pay for my bills cause I'm still in school. Shit, pay rent and such at your folks house if they want it and its cheaper than anywhere else to live. Enjoy spending time with your family before you start your own.

MongolPup
10-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Ruiner, I completely disagree

Let's see how many times we can post disagree on one page.

At anyrate, I'm going to have to ask for more pics of the girl in your avatar. Thanks.

Ruiner
10-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Ruiner, I completely disagree with that. First off, I never said living with your parents is the real world. Sure, you can find a house with almost 0 down. But how is it NOT wise to live with your parents for a year or two save up some money and make your future a bit easier? personally i think if thats an option you should take advantage of it, and yes I'm talking the first year or two out of college.

Here is how I see it. Say I start off making 40 a year. So lets say I bring home 20 after all those lovely taxes. Now, if I can avoid paying a house payment or for an apartment and save that money up, and save like 10 grand+ over a year or two, which in real estate doesn't seem that much anymore, wouldn't that be a good decision? If you dont think its the real world fine, neither do I. I live on my own now but my parents still pay for my bills cause I'm still in school. Shit, pay rent and such at your folks house if they want it and its cheaper than anywhere else to live. Enjoy spending time with your family before you start your own.

You'll save a HUGE chunk of change out of your 40k with the housing tax breaks alone and no, you won't lose 50% of your wages with no deductions. Manage your money wisely and you'll come out ahead. The sooner you get a house, the more quickly will you realize the appreciation of said house. With just the tax breaks and house appreciation, you will typically make more than if you "saved" for a year or two to put down as a down payment.

Black R
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Exactly my point. Ruiner is speaking from his experience - as I'm sure we all are.

I'm not trying to make a social commentary on the state of our society. That's where we as 'americans' differ from other cultures, we actually encourage the separation of family and separatism. :/

I too went to one of the top 10 party schools in the nation. I graduated cum laude with 2 degrees in '96, and worked for every bit of it. But what is the point? I did well because I applied myself. I was raised well and ingrained to value education.

Now would you have been better off having used that $ that you earned at your job on a downpayment on a home when you graduated? You bet! Would you have been better off having invested that $? Sure!

Now I'm not suggesting that you not learn any responsibility, nor that fail to contribute to your household. But I am suggesting that in order to make a financially sound decision, you weigh the compromises and benefits of living with your family for a few more years... the head-start that it gives you in life can be considerable.

Bajjani
10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh trust me, I know a lot of the deductions and I'll start off making 50k and I was just throwing out rough #s. My major is accounting so I've had to do plenty of tax work. And I agree there is nothing like being self-sufficient its one of the best feelings not having to live off someone else and being successful. To each their own though

Ruiner
10-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Now I'm not suggesting that you not learn any responsibility, nor that fail to contribute to your household. But I am suggesting that in order to make a financially sound decision, you weigh the compromises and benefits of living with your family for a few more years... the head-start that it gives you in life can be considerable.

At the expense of your social life? No thanks... You have to carefully weigh out the options. I'm too independent. There is no way that I could live with my parents again after moving out to go to college. To be away for 5 years and then to move back ... no, I just couldn't do it.

Bajjani
10-17-2006, 09:47 PM
See I don't worry about living at home. I'm not saying that thats what I'm going to do either Ruiner, my dad started his own business and is doing very very well. If I graduate as I'm scheduled which is 5 yrs w/an MBA and two semsters (one summer one spring) with a full time internship, he said he'll buy me a new car and put the downpayment on a house. Now, i'm very close w/my parents and I'd like to think I'm pretty responsable. They give me money every 4 months to budget for bills for groceries/food/rent/utilities/so on so forth. More power to you if you pay for school work thruout school and support yourself immediately after you graduate but is it a BAD idea to not take advantage of the benefits you may have? You kinda make it sound like you think its irresponsable to use that advantage if you have it

TheGodfather
10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
I skimmed through, so I don't know if I am repeating previous feelings. But I think every persons situation is different. Whether parents need help, where college/work is. As for me college and work are very close to home, so I live at home to save money. I have a very good relationship with my family and don't mind being with them, I have the freedom like I don't live at home. I come and go as a please and do what I want. My mom cooks some great dinners. It just all depends on the situation. Financially is a big deal too, I think that if I didn't get along with my parents and had good money I might be more willing to move out.

Black R
10-17-2006, 10:29 PM
At the expense of your social life?

I don't know what baggage you have associated with family, but some families won't hinder your 'social life.' It really depends on your particular situation, as I have alluded to. Hell, depending on the circumstances, you may have a basement apartment, etc, all to yourself at college age.

I'm looking at this from a financial standpoint, and the average family/ average student can't afford to move out just because they feel like it.

*shrug*

Bajjani
10-17-2006, 10:32 PM
I think what ruined meant by that is the fact that you can't really invite a girl over and have a one on one night when your parents are upstairs

Ruiner
10-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I think what ruined meant by that is the fact that you can't really invite a girl over and have a one on one night when your parents are upstairs

Aye

devinwebb907
10-17-2006, 10:49 PM
i said 22-24, but i think 20/21 is pushing it and you need to be gone.

Lizbiz101
10-17-2006, 11:25 PM
I want to move out when I have enough money to move out, but then again as SOON as I got enough money i'd be GONE. Hopefully buy/before 22-24 cuz i'll be done with school and into my career. You gotta start living your own life. You can't just stay at home, you won't learn anything. lol

BlkCD5
10-17-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm 22 and still live with my parents. Mine are the somewhat easygoing type. They're not going to kick me out, but don't mind me staying until i finish school. As said before, it just depends on the situation. Currently im in school, so juggling a full time job plus that can be stressful. I'd rather leave when I know that I'm financially stable to make it out on my own, rather than fall on my face. Cus its somewhat embarassing to come back, wait... my parents won't let me come back :( . oh well. Most of the people I talk to that are in school and out of the house, wish they could go back.

Mike Lowrey
10-18-2006, 06:08 AM
but i think a good age to live on your own is after college ..

Agreed.

The rest are just freeloaders......

AudiGirlTT
10-18-2006, 07:25 AM
I have been out since I was 18 and never looked back.... :)

candy2082002
10-18-2006, 07:34 AM
I am moving out in Jan. I am 22 now so it will be before I am 23 so I dont feel as bad but hey gave me time to save up money so I am not going crazy for rent. It all depends on your situation I think so families are cooler then others.

Leisa
10-18-2006, 08:05 AM
I moved out at 19 right after I finished cosmetology school... and got married at 22.. never went back

Brett
10-18-2006, 08:08 AM
If your not in college and over 21 your ass should be supporting yourself.

Ruiner
10-18-2006, 08:36 AM
I am moving out in Jan. I am 22 now so it will be before I am 23 so I dont feel as bad but hey gave me time to save up money so I am not going crazy for rent. It all depends on your situation I think so families are cooler then others.

So, how much money did you save to put down on a house by living at home?

candy2082002
10-18-2006, 08:46 AM
we arent buying a hose right away.....going to live in an apartment for like 6 months then get a house so by then I dont know how much we would have after the wedding and all that takes some dough

Ruiner
10-18-2006, 10:37 AM
we arent buying a hose right away.....going to live in an apartment for like 6 months then get a house so by then I dont know how much we would have after the wedding and all that takes some dough

Oh trust me, I know. The ring, oh the ring. I can't wait to show IA. :)

Fast Shadow
10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Aug 94 out college
May 95 back quit college got a job near home
Jan 97 out back to college
May 97 back LOL quit college again
Aug 97 out got a job in another area
Jun 98 back temporarily got a new job closer to home
Jul 98 out for good

So I was 18 when I moved out the first time and 22 when I moved out for good.

Brut
10-18-2006, 09:20 PM
my unlce didnt move out of my grandparents house till he was 35 lol

TheSnail
10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
I moved out when I was 17 but then ended up in jail 4months later. I got out and ran home to mommy. I say after 27ish it becomes weird still living at home. I plan on staying another two years. Free rent, free food, free gas, free rejuvenated money box $400 per month, $200 per month credit card rejuvenatinon, free school tuition, never done laundry, cleaning lady cleans my room. All I have to do is physically put the food in my mouth, but if I got someone to feed me, then I really would not have to do anything. Its great right now, but its made me very lazy, and it will be suicide once I go out on my own.

FatboyV8
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Hell if my dad could have he would've kicked me out when I was born. I HATE YOU DADDY!!! I HATE YOOOUUUUU!

That was my emo vent for the day. Please continue the discusion.

13Bracer
10-21-2006, 04:11 PM
^hahah

well im 19 just moved here with my parents from cali but right when i got out here i moved out!! it got to crazy with my step dad and shit but i love livin on my own exept..
i still need a roomate