PDA

View Full Version : Cop gives ticket for anti-Bush sticker, Lady sues

Tarzanman
10-17-2006, 06:20 AM
from http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/16/sticker.suit.ap/index.html

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- A woman who was ticketed for having an obscene anti-Bush bumper sticker filed a lawsuit in federal court Monday against a county in the state of Georgia and its officials.

Denise Grier, 47, of Athens, Georgia, got a $100 ticket in March after a DeKalb County police officer spotted the bumper sticker, which read "I'm Tired Of All The BUSH**."

A DeKalb judge threw out the ticket in April because the state's lewd decal law that formed the basis for the ticket was ruled unconstitutional in 1990.

Grier is seeking damages from the county for "emotional distress," according to the lawsuit.

Grier also seeks a declaration in federal court that her bumper sticker is considered constitutionally protected speech because she is "uncertain and insecure regarding her right to display her bumper sticker in DeKalb County," the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

Grier, a nurse who works at Emory University and other hospitals, also is seeking punitive damages against the DeKalb police officer who gave her the ticket because he "acted with reckless disregard" of her rights, the lawsuit said.

The state law prohibited lewd or profane stickers and decals on vehicles.

Doppelgänger
10-17-2006, 06:52 AM
holy old repost!!!

check the date on that press release......

Ran
10-17-2006, 07:53 AM
holy old repost!!!

check the date on that press release......POSTED: 9:01 p.m. EDT, October 16, 2006

:???:

wantboost
10-17-2006, 09:13 AM
this is really old. cnn must have not seen that it had something to do with bush lol

TeeJay
10-17-2006, 09:14 AM
buck fush

Doppelgänger
10-17-2006, 09:30 AM
it was from either late lastyear or early this year...

but to make the story mroe complete, the sticker had "BUSHIT" in it...

ShooterMcGavin
10-17-2006, 09:54 AM
^^^durr that's what was posted? :thinking:

4dmin
10-17-2006, 10:22 AM
lol this shit is funny... i hope she sues and wins like a million plus then next time the idiots in our local gov't including cops will do what they should be catching bad guys not old ladies w/ bumper stickers ;)

Ran
10-17-2006, 10:28 AM
lol this shit is funny... i hope she sues and wins like a million plus then next time the idiots in our local gov't including cops will do what they should be catching bad guys not old ladies w/ bumper stickers ;)While I think that cops should be out catching actual criminals, I hope this lady loses and gets counter-sued by the cop if possible. Her ticket got thrown out and now she's just blowning it out of proportion to try and get some free $$$. F*ck her.

ironchef
10-17-2006, 10:32 AM
While I think that cops should be out catching actual criminals, I hope this lady loses and gets counter-sued by the cop if possible. Her ticket got thrown out and now she's just blowning it out of proportion to try and get some free $$$. F*ck her.The point is she shouldve never gotten the ticket in the first place, not her fault the cop wasn't up to speed on the laws.

ShooterMcGavin
10-17-2006, 10:32 AM
^^^i say they both do society a favor by diaf, together :goodjob:

The Golden Child
10-17-2006, 10:38 AM
^^^i say they both do society a favor by diaf, together :goodjob:

i say you hurry up and bring the SK3 my ninja brother .. LOLZ !!!

Doppelgänger
10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
^^^durr that's what was posted? :thinking:

"The BUSH**.""

I had to fill it in because some people are too lazy to click a link and see it...

TeeJay
10-17-2006, 10:40 AM
i say you hurry up and bring the SK3 my ninja brother .. LOLZ !!!
HAH i got mine nukka!!!