PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start.

Sushi
10-13-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm having problems with my RS 2nd Gen Eclipse with a 420a I use nothing but mobil1 10w-30 and lately im having really low idles on a cold start but today after I got off work my car would crank up and then die instantly over and over agian until I left it in neutral and held my gas pedal down to 1k rpms. Just wondering what could cause this on only cold starts where the car has been sitting outside.

Any and all helpful post are appericated.

sirkus
10-14-2006, 07:49 PM
My damn sr20 240 has been like that... you have to fight the shit out of it to get it to start. I was wondering why this is like this also. I would also like to fix this problem ASAP! It sucks being at work and not knowing if the car will start when I get off of work.

Z U L8R
10-16-2006, 07:45 PM
start with the easy, clean off the throttle body and spray some carb cleaner through the intake while it's running

AndrewAtl
11-12-2006, 04:20 PM
It's a idle speed control.

§treet_§peed
11-12-2006, 09:15 PM
this is a guess...but could it possibly be something to do with the choke not kicking in right or something?

Wurm
11-12-2006, 09:19 PM
could be injectors

§treet_§peed
11-12-2006, 09:27 PM
^^ True they could be clogged...try some of that full injector cleaner...or fill your tank up with high grade gas and pt a gallon of denatured alcohol in it

Annihilation
11-12-2006, 11:32 PM
this is a guess...but could it possibly be something to do with the choke not kicking in right or something?

choke? wtf this aint no Lawnmower, nor a carb setup...they are fuel injected

slowrolla97
11-13-2006, 03:05 AM
yeah it sounds like it could be injectors. I would try and run some see-foam through your engine. That shit will clean out your shit like no other. But only use it if you know what you are doing. If not that then it might be your map/maf/whatever you have. Dont know eclipses that well.

slowrolla97
11-13-2006, 03:11 AM
Ok i just googled it. This is what i got off of a Eclipse forum

The car may just need a tune-up. Have the air filter and fuel filter replaced. Also be sure to have the spark plugs and related ignition components inspected and replaced if necessary. The throttle body and sensors on the throttle body should also be checked to make sure they are functioning properly.

If replacing those regular maintenace items does not help, you should have a mechanic also check engine's timing. If your timing belt has not been replaced within the last 60,000 miles, it may be time to replace it.

Hope that helps

Kyle
11-13-2006, 08:50 AM
start with the easy, clean off the throttle body and spray some carb cleaner through the intake while it's running

I second that. My throttle body has to be cleaned last winter. Before I did it, it would sputter like a bitch. My exhaust started moving a little, it couldn't mantain the idle, it was rough. It's all good now. It runs perfectly.

GIXXERDK
11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
If theres a way to change the idle speed, thats the first thing I would try. Well at least on bikes.

§treet_§peed
11-13-2006, 10:50 PM
choke? wtf this aint no Lawnmower, nor a carb setup...they are fuel injected yes it does have a choke..well it's like a choke, sorta like a start idle thing...notice when you first crank your car how it stays rev'd up? yeah that's the same as having a choke

Sushi
11-13-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm thinking my injectors too. I got champ plugs that are new with about 5k miles on them. A new fuel filter. And a aftermarket air filter. so I think it knocks down to the injectors.

ranj
11-18-2006, 09:16 PM
hmmm. u said this started happening since it got colder, maybe the thinner air is affecting it. i would say its ur idle air controler. try looking that up, that is most likely the problem in my opinion.

Sushi
11-18-2006, 09:40 PM
I used some of chevrons fuel injection system cleaner. shes running good now.