PDA

View Full Version : Stage 3 FTMFW!

fawk_you
10-13-2006, 02:46 AM
Soooooooooooooooo my friend... who was a mechanic at Z1 when I worked there... took me out tonight. We ate at my fav. sushi rest. (Ru Sans) they got me pretty drunk, I am sober now... but when we got back to my house he gave me my present. XTD STAGE 3 CLUTCH BABY! :D I want to really install it- but not sure if I really need it or not.... debating. Any opinions? :thinking:

:bump:

fawk_you
10-13-2006, 02:47 AM
BTW does anyone know if these clutches are worth a shit? Hmmm

CSquared
10-13-2006, 02:50 AM
I advise against if it's going to be your daily driver... I don't have any experience with that clutch in particular but i can almost gaurentee it will be a pain in the ass to drive. The kick in the ass is awesome but there is no room for error.

fawk_you
10-13-2006, 02:52 AM
I advise against if it's going to be your daily driver... I don't have any experience with that clutch in particular but i can almost gaurentee it will be a pain in the ass to drive. The kick in the ass is awesome but there is no room for error.
I did some reading that said its almost like a stock clutch without a new fly wheel.... and with a lightened one its a bitch.... so I mean I dont think it would be THAT bad? (I dont have a new fly wheel right now its the stock one) I would like a 8lb.er though.

RandomGuy
10-13-2006, 02:53 AM
sprung hub?

fawk_you
10-13-2006, 02:54 AM
sprung hub?
Not sure honestly? How can you tell- I can look at it right now and tell ya. Pictures help. lol

CSquared
10-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Honestly the only stage 3s i've experienced have been on aftermarket lightweight flywheels. Don't get me wrong... it was totally driveable even like that... I just prefer the mushy stock clutch on a dd application. I'm sure there will be people arguing either way though.

fawk_you
10-13-2006, 02:59 AM
Honestly the only stage 3s i've experienced have been on aftermarket lightweight flywheels. Don't get me wrong... it was totally driveable even like that... I just prefer the mushy stock clutch on a dd application. I'm sure there will be people arguing either way though.
Yeah same here, so I honestly wouldnt know thats why im asking. PLUS I dont know this brand... BAH!

RandomGuy
10-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Not sure honestly? How can you tell- I can look at it right now and tell ya. Pictures help. lol
http://www.g54b.com/dev/DSC00156.JPG

theres my clutch/ PP / Tranny

see the clutch disk part (the 6 puck thingy) see how theres springs along the center. That makes the shit engage much less harshly so its a little easier to daily drive.

fawk_you
10-13-2006, 03:05 AM
mine is sprung:)

fawk_you
10-13-2006, 04:01 AM
this site really has gone to shit. No one replying cept for the real car guys. No ones here for cars anymore really... its sad. NO WONDER all the old members dropped off the face of the earth! :doh:

ahmonrah
10-13-2006, 04:06 AM
hey!! dammit! i care about cars....just didnt see your post is all...thought i was the only one awake. congrats, isnt it gonna be a little firmer? the clutch, or will it still be manageable like stock? what all came with the clutch?? nvm, looked it up. but do you have a lightened flywheel yet? if not, wait till you get one befoe install.

Fast Shadow
10-13-2006, 04:51 AM
you're getting plenty of mileage out of the term "FTMFW"

Bajjani
10-13-2006, 05:11 AM
this site really has gone to shit. No one replying cept for the real car guys. No ones here for cars anymore really... its sad. NO WONDER all the old members dropped off the face of the earth! :doh:

that or people sleep

Wurm
10-13-2006, 05:18 AM
i had a stage 3 in my DD it wasnt too bad shit 90% of the people who tried driving my car
kept stalling it.Im gonna put a stage 3 in my current car and its my DD still but i heard those xtd clutches are crap

umairejaz
10-13-2006, 05:49 AM
burn the fuck out of the old one.... then install this one with a light weight flywheel. it will be a pain in the ass on stop and go traffic but thats all subjective.

Id save it until my oem one went out. Lightweight flywheel = less intertia which in turn requires more revs to take off in 1st as well as alot more feathering the clutch when daily driving. You will get used to it though.

but, stage 3 might be too PITA and you could concider swaping with less hardcore one until u start pushing some serious power.

Bishop
10-13-2006, 05:57 AM
i got a comp. stage 2 and 10lb flywheel on my DD. ALittle different at first, but i'm used to it now. But stop and go traffic kind of sucks.

Wurm
10-13-2006, 06:07 AM
i got a comp. stage 2 and 10lb flywheel on my DD. ALittle different at first, but i'm used to it now. But stop and go traffic kind of sucks.
backroads ftw

Allshow97
10-13-2006, 06:33 AM
mine is sprung:)

You make mine sprung :D :goodjob:

BTEC
10-13-2006, 06:57 AM
IF URS ISNT SLIPPING YET ID PUT IT IN THE GARAGE AND WAIT TIL U NEED IT. NEVER HEARD OF THAT COMPANY BEFORE SO I DNT KNOW NE THING ABOUT IT. IF ITS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE STOCK THEN IT POBABLY DOESNT HAVE A STIFF PRESSURE PLATE. IF THE DISC HAS PADS THEN IT MIGHT CHATTER OR BE KINDA ROUGH ON TAKEOFFS.

I HAD A ACT STREET DISC AND XTREME PRESSURE PLATE AND U KNOW I DRIVE MY CAR EVERYWHERE. YEAH, I HAD CRAMP LIKE A MOFO TIL I GOT USED TO IT BUT I LOVED THAT THING. I GOT A COMETITION PIECE IN RIGHT NOW. STOCK PRESSURE PLATE AND 4 PAD SPRUNG HUB DISC. ITS A LITTLE ROUGH ON TAKE OFF AND MY CLUTCH FEEL LIKE A SISSY BUT ITS NOT TOO BAD, IF U KNOW HOW TO WRK IT. ;)

ct9a gsr
10-13-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm bored and can't sleep so did a lil research for ya...

At first, I thought "XTD" was just a mispelling for "Exedy" since they sound similar... come to find out, XTD is a real brand for clutches, lol (excellent marketing strategy, haha). There seems to be a ton of rumors flying around every forum talking about this clutch... the most popular stating that Exedy manufactures the pressure plates for XTD and an Exedy logo can be stamped on 'em. Not sure how true that is... especially since an exedy logo is stamped on every pressure plate involving a pull-type clutch due to their patent on the technology... at least to my knowledge. Hell, even my ACT clutch has Exedy stamped on it somewhere. Guess my point is, just cause it has an Exedy stamp doesn't mean Exedy made it. Oh, another rumor says XTD uses repainted and rebadged OEM pressure plates... and Exedy manufactures a lot of OEM clutches for many cars.

A lot of ppl report that even the 6-puck stage3 XTD clutch feels almost like stock... which is not neccessarily a good thing. Any pressure plate with a higher clamping load than stock should have a more stiff feel and require more pedal effort to operate. This again supports that maybe XTD uses OEM pressure plates... no one's really confirmed it yet.

There is a large majority of ppl from the Honda / 240 / DSM community that are reporting good success for these clutches. However, there seems to be an almost equal amount of unsatisfied customers claiming their clutches begin to slip or completely die under 7,000... some under 5,000, etc.

Oh, and the #1 reason ppl use these is because it is literally the most affordable aftermarket clutch out in the market for most cars. XTD only sells on EBay, they have no real store or online vendor. I guess they can be preceived as the Megan/SSAC of clutches. I, personally, would not trust an EBay clutch... but like I said, there are a lot of success stories with ths clutch.

If I were you, I'd keep it around as a spare in case your stocker all of a sudden dies on you... you can have the car back up 'n running in under 24hrs. No need to replace a clutch that's not dead or near the end of its life... especially since you'll be very hard pressed to get much, if any, money out of a used clutch disc.

Yeah, I'm bored.

Oh, btw, BTEC knows where its at... ACT Street Disc + ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate = the ultimate daily-driven/race clutch combo that'll hold a SHIT TON of torque... and its insanely affordable. Its just not ppl with weenie left legs.

umairejaz
10-13-2006, 08:37 AM
^ +1 :goodjob:

i can also vouch for ACT, i had the street disc w/ heavy duty plate and the streetlight flywheel all from ACT... it was a lot fun and after 60k miles on my gsr it still held strong as when i first got it!

The s2k community also recomends ACT...

Fast Shadow
10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Ebay clutch FTMFW!

Ran
10-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Eh, I got a Stage 3 6-Puck Unsprung in the Datsun. When I first got it, it was hard as hell to drive because it engaged so hard. A hard shift into second made you take up all three lanes of I-75. Now that it's broken in, it's not so bad.

thecrazyone
10-13-2006, 01:38 PM

ATLOFFTOPIC.COM
*** This section has NOTHING to do with cars 99.9% of the time ***

CAR FORUMS (Tech Area)
This is where all questions, answers, info, etc.

fawk_you
10-13-2006, 03:16 PM
thanks for the help everyone. And sorry about the ppl dropping off statement, I had a rather good amount to drink last night. :)

Soooooooo final verdict.... sell the fucker? Who's with me!

Ran
10-13-2006, 03:31 PM
thanks for the help everyone. And sorry about the ppl dropping off statement, I had a rather good amount to drink last night. :)

Soooooooo final verdict.... sell the fucker? Who's with me!If you're only using it for street and you're not making gobs of power, I'd sell it. To be honest, a stage 3 clutch on daily driving is rather pointless. Why not sell it and put the money towards a supercharger? ;)

SixSquared
10-13-2006, 04:01 PM
ACT and Competition clutch > *

Sell the one he got you and get a stage 2/stage 3 from competition... my friend Chris works there and can hook you up.

Big Baller
10-13-2006, 04:57 PM
stage 3 means nothing

What clamp load is the pressure plate, what material is on the disk, sprung or unsprung pressure plate. I would sell it just based on the fact that they dont give you enough info.

B18c-rex
10-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I would say go with a exedy clutch and match it with a act-extreme pressure plate.

JoeCoolinATL
10-13-2006, 06:31 PM
NO WONDER all the old members dropped off the face of the earth! :doh:

one of the few reasons we only post once in a blue moon :)

Black R
10-13-2006, 06:39 PM
stage 3 doesn't really mean shit... just post a pic of the clutch and i'll tell you about it.

bottom line: install it if your current clutch is slipping with the power you're making.....

JoeCoolinATL
10-13-2006, 06:41 PM
stage 3 doesn't really mean shit... just post a pic of the clutch and i'll tell you about it.

bottom line: install it if your current clutch is slipping with the power you're making.....

where were u last night fool
it was my bday and the rest of us DD's went out
even zane and big joe came out!
slacker
haha

OG-Skinny
10-13-2006, 06:47 PM
If you want to have a stock Pefal Feel, You can use the Stock PP with the new disc. It all depends on how much you can deal with a heavy pedal. I've felt a ACT stage 4 in a Miaita 1.6L. And i would NOT recommend it for a DD. It'll hurt you, and the cars performance.

Now if you were to get 300HP in a day or so, then i would definitly say throw it in..

rupertaker
10-13-2006, 07:12 PM
LOL at stage 3.

In all seriousness, you should be fine. I've never driven (or heard of for that matter) an XTD clutch but its a sprung disk, it can't be that bad.

but Im weird. I've had unsprung 3 pucks, Os GIKEN triple disks, and now an ATS Triple carbon, all of which in my daily driver, and all of which I've liked.

you'll be fine.

Marty
10-13-2006, 09:22 PM
You need to do your homework LeAnne, that's a bad clutch. Also, you DEFINITLEY don't need anything that strong on a stock car.

Sushi
10-13-2006, 09:39 PM
ATLOFFTOPIC.COM
*** This section has NOTHING to do with cars 99.9% of the time ***

CAR FORUMS (Tech Area)
This is where all questions, answers, info, etc.

+1 for the only one who realized this!

fawk_you
10-14-2006, 02:21 AM
You need to do your homework LeAnne, that's a bad clutch. Also, you DEFINITLEY don't need anything that strong on a stock car.
I did, and it was said that its a piece of crap. So thats why im selling it. It was given to me. So.

Thanks for the input everyone.

fawk_you
10-14-2006, 02:31 AM
BTW marty, PM me your number please I need to ask you some tech. questions about the cars.... BAH research can only get you so far online- accuracy can be bad sometimes.

Flip
10-14-2006, 02:44 AM

Agreed...

JITB
10-14-2006, 03:24 AM
if u are gonna get a clutch for the 1.8, go with the act.. the OEM mazda clutch for the miata/protege is a exedy, and it is decent clutch u honestly shouldnt have to upgrade unless u boost it and are makin atleast 200+, i ran a miata oem exedy clutch on my protege.. stick with stock until u really need it.

fawk_you
10-14-2006, 03:43 AM
kthnx

JoeCoolinATL
10-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I did, and it was said that its a piece of crap. So thats why im selling it. It was given to me. So.

Thanks for the input everyone.

if i were you, id be wondering why you got a known shitty piece of hardware as a "present" from someone who works at a shop and would have known it was shiity

fawk_you
10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
if i were you, id be wondering why you got a known shitty piece of hardware as a "present" from someone who works at a shop and would have known it was shiity
Because of the research he did with the hondas having success and what not I guess he assumed it would be ok for Ron. Um I dont think hes ever delt with that clutch before and plus he only does Mazdas and chevy.... so I think that might be a huge factor as well.