PDA

View Full Version : Got a ticket for illegal tint... :(

EP3sAreFun
10-12-2006, 05:54 PM
ive never even owned a car with tint before and i dint know how bad it was lol.

So i got a ticket, no biggy, i understand. but heres the question... ive got a coupe, do i have to remove the tint gtom my rear hatch/ back seat windows? they dont roll down so unless they have some other device do tey even have any way to check it?

help would be great guys

quickdodgeŽ
10-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Yup. Any passenger vehicle can only have 32%. Later, QD.

Julio
10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
is you car AWD? Im not to familiar with them.

If it is, there is a loophole in the law regarding tint window and AWD vehicles.

Ran
10-12-2006, 06:19 PM
D@mn, this is like the third tint ticket of the month. They must really be coming down on it.

Stormhammer
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
LOL! its about time lol - admit it, we both knew it was coming, even the guy you got it from was braggin about it. Ah well.

Bwahahha, we both got tickets within a month :lmao: STARIONS UNITE!

... matt tattoed my cul-de-sac with rubber >_>

EP3sAreFun
10-12-2006, 06:43 PM
nah its not AWD. be nice if it was the 86 raliart dohc 4wd blah blah blah

Stormhammer
10-12-2006, 06:45 PM
anyways, just bring it to a shop that does tinting, they can remove it and have them install the legally darkest

JKNOUSE
10-12-2006, 06:47 PM
D@mn, this is like the third tint ticket of the month. They must really be coming down on it.

o shit hope im not next:(

but yea u hafe to have it removed and it usally costs more to take it off then to put it on lol

EP3sAreFun
10-12-2006, 06:48 PM
hah no.

im doing this myself. screw paying someone else to do something i can do myself.

HeLLo iM iZzY
10-12-2006, 07:34 PM
^ I FEEL YA !

Ruiner
10-12-2006, 07:47 PM
is you car AWD? Im not to familiar with them.

If it is, there is a loophole in the law regarding tint window and AWD vehicles.

I thought that this only applied to SUVs and trucks (which have AWD and/or 4x4). Passenger cars do not follow this if I remember. I would need to look up the GA code on it.

Stormhammer
10-12-2006, 07:48 PM
hah no.

im doing this myself. screw paying someone else to do something i can do myself.

hope you have a heat gun or something :D

redlinenprelude
10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
i cant dig up the GA code

i would like to know how dark i can go on my k5

Ruiner
10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Yep, you MIGHT be able to argue an AWD car, but not typically. It could contain an off-road ability, but the judge might laugh at you if you have a street car that is lowered. But then again, who knows...

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) 'Light reflectance' means the ratio of the amount of total light
that is reflected outward by a product or material to the amount of
total light falling on the product or material.
(2) 'Light transmission' means the ratio of the amount of total light,
expressed in percentages, which is allowed to pass through a surface
to the amount of light falling on the surface.
(3) 'Manufacturer' means a person who produces or assembles a vehicle
glass-coating material or who fabricates, laminates, or tempers a
safety-glazing material, which material reduces light transmission.
(4) 'Material' means any transparent product or substance which
reduces light transmission.
(5) 'Multipurpose passenger vehicle' means a motor vehicle designed
to carry ten persons or less which is constructed on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.

The law allows for the same light transmission standards as the previous law. It is now illegal for window tinting material to be applied to the rear, side and door windows of motor vehicles that does not allow for more than 32 percent of light transmission (plus or minus three percent). It is also illegal for materials to be applied to the windows that increase the level of light reflected to more than 20 percent. Additionally, except for the top six inches of the windshield, no material or glazing can be applied that would reduce the light transmission through the windshield.

Among the exemptions to the window tint law are: adjustable sun visors not attached to the glass; signs or stickers displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the passenger side of the windshield or in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the driver's side of the windshield; law enforcement vehicles; and any federal, state or local sticker or certificate which is required by law to be placed on any windshield or window. Also exempted under the law are the rear windshields and side windows, except the windows to the left and right of the driver, on multipurpose passengers vehicles; school buses and buses used for public transportation; buses and vans owned or leased by any religious or non-profit organization; limousines; and any other vehicle where the windows or windshields have been tinted or darkened before factory delivery or permitted by federal law or regulation.

Ruiner
10-12-2006, 07:56 PM
i cant dig up the GA code

i would like to know how dark i can go on my k5

32% is the max on the driver/passenger side windows, but you can go darker in the rear (rear window and windows behind the driver/passenger windows) of SUVs and trucks.

redlinenprelude
10-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Ruiner to the rescue

EP3sAreFun
10-12-2006, 07:58 PM
dude you are the fucking man!

Ruiner
10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Ruiner to the rescue

Why I didn't go to law school, I dunno... :thinking:

Actually, I do know why: I like it better as a hobby than a career.

Ruiner
10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
dude you are the fucking man!

:goodjob:

EP3sAreFun
10-12-2006, 08:02 PM
and if you could link me to the code where you found that second quote that would be awsome

Turbodude06
10-12-2006, 08:13 PM
ok guys heres the scoup. You can have the darkest tint u want one all the windows except the windshield and the two front doors of any vehicle.. Hint SUVS come with 15 percent factory on the rear window... OK now you can have on 35% on the front two doors and you can't have any tint on the front windshield except a strip. I know this because I have my own tinting business if any one has any questions about tint just ask me.....

Ruiner
10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
ok guys heres the scoup. You can have the darkest tint u want one all the windows except the windshield and the two front doors of any vehicle.. Hint SUVS come with 15 percent factory on the rear window... OK now you can have on 35% on the front two doors and you can't have any tint on the front windshield except a strip. I know this because I have my own tinting business if any one has any questions about tint just ask me.....

I just showed you the GA code. You cannot have "as dark as you want" in a passenger car on the rear windows. Also, the limit is 32% (+/-) 3%.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?title=40&chapter=8&section=73.1

Ruiner
10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
and if you could link me to the code where you found that second quote that would be awsome

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?title=40&chapter=8&section=73.1

Julio
10-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Ahh.. good one.. so there is a loophole.. =]

Weird the way they wrote that law though.

sinsy2k3
10-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey guy's 4 get evrything just watch tis and remembr what 2 say

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=3NmC5wHfCdM

sinsy2k3
10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmC5wHfCdM

StupidBikerBoy
10-13-2006, 07:07 PM
LOL

I got a tint ticket last month in my GMC SIERRA HD CREW CAB by a GSP.

He checked my drivers window, 34%. Then he checked my rear drivers side window, 5%. Then he says "Your tint is illegal". I was like, "no its not, I checked the law before I had it installed". He tried to tell me that if it was an SUV it would be legal. WTF?? A GSP that doesn't know the law.:rolleyes:

So anyways I had him specify that the 5% was on my rear doors for when I take it to court. And if they give me the run around there (been wrongfully accused before and still had to pay lawyer fees), I'm gonna request a jury trial just for wasting my time.:goodjob:

As the officer was writing out the ticket he made the comment, "You know its for our protection". I looked him square in the eye and said "Yeah, its for me and my family's protection also". He didn't reply.

Personally I don't see how it can be illegal for us, but legal for law enforcement.

What happened to "No one is above the law"?

Spyder
10-13-2006, 07:19 PM
LOL

I got a tint ticket last month in my GMC SIERRA HD CREW CAB by a GSP.

He checked my drivers window, 34%. Then he checked my rear drivers side window, 5%. Then he says "Your tint is illegal". I was like, "no its not, I checked the law before I had it installed". He tried to tell me that if it was an SUV it would be legal. WTF?? A GSP that doesn't know the law.:rolleyes:

So anyways I had him specify that the 5% was on my rear doors for when I take it to court. And if they give me the run around there (been wrongfully accused before and still had to pay lawyer fees), I'm gonna request a jury trial just for wasting my time.:goodjob:

As the officer was writing out the ticket he made the comment, "You know its for our protection". I looked him square in the eye and said "Yeah, its for me and my family's protection also". He didn't reply.

Personally I don't see how it can be illegal for us, but legal for law enforcement.

What happened to "No one is above the law"?

The law is in place to protect cops, which I understand but the people that would shoot a cop could give a fuck less about tint laws. If I had more money then god I would make a huge federal case out of the next time I got pulled over for tint... see my thinking is along the lines of this: A cop is trained to carry fire arms so they can, they are trained to drive a car in certain situations ok I get that. When the fuck did they go to class to learn how to see thru dark tint? Oh wait, they never did so how can they say it is "to dark to see thru safely at night" when they can see straight thru it?.... oh wait, they can't. Having 32% tint is legal.. why you may ask? because it is like putting saran wrap on your windows, there is no point at all. Sure it cuts down on UV rays whoppie fucking do.

Oh well, /rant off