PDA

View Full Version : LS1 kits for 240SX?????

Tracy
10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
We will probably be manufacturing those here shortly. Waht do ya'll think? I'm trying to guage interest.

Spyder
10-12-2006, 02:54 PM
We will probably be manufacturing those here shortly. Waht do ya'll think? I'm trying to guage interest.

I think they will sell because yours will be better built then Hinson... however as you know even with a "kit" there is some fab work needed ;)

BTEC
10-12-2006, 02:58 PM
DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH LS1 SWAPS COST.

Tracy
10-12-2006, 02:59 PM
DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH LS1 SWAPS COST.

prolly only a couple hundred more than the sr20.

BTEC
10-12-2006, 03:05 PM
prolly only a couple hundred more than the sr20.
ITS GONNA TAKE A FEW MORE CARS TO BE OUT THERE TO CONVINCE PPL TO DO THAT SWAP BC OF HOW POPULAR THE 2JZ IN THE 240 SWAP IS RIGHT NOW. WHATS THE MARKET LOOKING LIKE AS FAR AS ACCESSABILITY TO LS1'S?

Tracy
10-12-2006, 03:16 PM
ITS GONNA TAKE A FEW MORE CARS TO BE OUT THERE TO CONVINCE PPL TO DO THAT SWAP BC OF HOW POPULAR THE 2JZ IN THE 240 SWAP IS RIGHT NOW. WHATS THE MARKET LOOKING LIKE AS FAR AS ACCESSABILITY TO LS1'S?

Our 2 cars will probably have them soon if we don't get factory cars. V8 is better for drifting and it's NA so that also makes it better for drifting.....not producing mass amounts of power. It would be for a totally different clientel than the 2j's ;)

Dominic49
10-12-2006, 03:51 PM
get er done

HiPSI
10-12-2006, 04:43 PM
copy my setup and give me royalties

Wurm
10-12-2006, 04:45 PM
You can put one in my car for free if u like i dont mind

Big Baller
10-12-2006, 05:13 PM
When would you like me to drop off the s13

Matt

Vteckidd
10-12-2006, 05:27 PM
BAD BAD IDEA. Make kits, but DO NOT SELL THEM PUBLICLY. Tracy call me an ill give you my .20 why.

offer everything in house

HiPSI
10-12-2006, 05:59 PM
BAD BAD IDEA. Make kits, but DO NOT SELL THEM PUBLICLY. Tracy call me an ill give you my .20 why.

offer everything in house

this is true for the reason Spyder said... there will always be extra little mods to make it all work. this is why nobody's rushing to buy hinson's kit (other than the fact it's a piece of shit). carb'ed SBC is the way to go, internal parts for the LSx engines are expensive!

Vteckidd
10-12-2006, 06:08 PM
well the reason why we dont sell 2JZ mount kits is:

1) the mounts are NOT THE HARDEST PART OF THE WAP
2) it took alot of R&D to get the motor to sit they way we wanted
3) My phone (an tracys) rings enough already. YOu sell MOUNT kits, and people will be calling saying "why dont they fit, i cant get them to work, ok the motor is mounted but i cant wire it, the driveshaft is not fitting, where do i get one made, the shifter isnt where i like it" blahblahblah.
4) why should i sell my hard earned R&Ded mounts to someone so they can copy them an sell them to XS POWER.

People think if there is a MOUNT kit offered, its as easy as an SR20 swap, or a B16 swap in a civic. IMO if your offering a service like this, its not for the average person. thats why i keep it in house, plus, it keeps demand up. YOUR the only one that can do it.

HiPSI
10-12-2006, 07:11 PM
well the reason why we dont sell 2JZ mount kits is:

1) the mounts are NOT THE HARDEST PART OF THE WAP
2) it took alot of R&D to get the motor to sit they way we wanted
3) My phone (an tracys) rings enough already. YOu sell MOUNT kits, and people will be calling saying "why dont they fit, i cant get them to work, ok the motor is mounted but i cant wire it, the driveshaft is not fitting, where do i get one made, the shifter isnt where i like it" blahblahblah.
4) why should i sell my hard earned R&Ded mounts to someone so they can copy them an sell them to XS POWER.

People think if there is a MOUNT kit offered, its as easy as an SR20 swap, or a B16 swap in a civic. IMO if your offering a service like this, its not for the average person. thats why i keep it in house, plus, it keeps demand up. YOUR the only one that can do it.

exactly... then again i'd imagine they were going to keep it in-house but who knows. maybe have a mechanical aptitude test to buy the kit, lol.

SL65AMG
10-13-2006, 08:51 AM
why an ls1 though... why not just a normal 350 chevy?

Big Baller
10-13-2006, 09:37 AM
LS1s are cheap, light, fuel injected and amazingly reliable. A 350 with a carb is cheap and heavy and thats about it.

HiPSI
10-13-2006, 09:50 AM
LS1s are cheap

not really.

Big Baller
10-13-2006, 09:56 AM
All things being relative they arent that expensive for a given power output.

Matt

Tracy
10-13-2006, 11:50 AM
copy my setup and give me royalties

Riiiight! We have been talking aboutdoing LS1's for a while. You just got to it first ;)

everyone else,

LS1's are cheap from the person I will be getting them from.

We will be doing them in house;)

sirkus
10-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Riiiight! We have been talking aboutdoing LS1's for a while. You just got to it first ;)

everyone else,

LS1's are cheap from the person I will be getting them from.

We will be doing them in house;)

If you can do this swap for just a few more hundred than an SR20 swap then I want to swap the sr for it :P You can keep my sr too :)

Whats the base hp on an ls1?

YokotaS13
10-15-2006, 10:57 AM
since hinsons is almost a grand, im down, if you cut the costs in half, and make the manifold you need as well

But i call bullshit on the only do it in house
Im NOT going to pay someone to do what i can do, and not have to wait on them. I have NEVER taken my car to a shop for anything minus an alignment, and wont do it either.

I want a v8 in my 240 in a year, so me and my father can put it in. I have a shell lined up hopefully, and will get an ls1 soon after.

if you only offer the service in house, after labor costs, time, extra parts etc etc etc, i dont think 90% of people will do it. It would cost almost twice as much

Now if you could do an sr20 trade in or something, it might be worth it. But yeah, my 2c lol if it made sense

Gutling
10-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Hmm id def be interested, been thinking of trying something besides the sr. Do you have any rough idea of the cost of a kit (and what all does it include, ie engine, tranny?) and will you be using a standalone with it (aem ems or similar)

YokotaS13
10-15-2006, 11:49 AM
it is a 3 wire splice into a 240. CHeck out zilvia.net
shockdrifting.com has one thtey did, atually a few, as well as a ls1 fd

its literally a 10,000 install having a shop do it, and adding a few performance parts like cams and stuff
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=105615&highlight=ls1

Vteckidd
10-15-2006, 01:48 PM
if people think they can attmept to do the swap themselves, THE MOUNT KIT IS NOT THE HARD PART. The mount kit is EASY. if you can figure out the driveshaft, wiring, fuel lines, shifter then the mounts are the least of your problems.

thats why we do it in house. Plus, if you want to cheap out on doing a swap of this magnitude, then i wouldnt do it anyway. If you an your father want to do it in your garage, MORE POWER TO YOU. i think thats great, but like i said, the mount kit is not the hardest part.

ive had over 100emails about selling mount kits an wiring harnesses for the 2JZ swaps. i tell everyone we dont do it serpeately. At this time i have 8 2JZ swaps BOOKED. an more who are pretty deadly serious about getting them done. I have guys in NEw York that are having me do the whole car, buy the shell, parts, swap an they come down when its done an pick it up.

If you keep it in house, you take care of any of the little BS problems, plus, you keep the demand up. If i sell a mount kit, i GUARANTEE someone copies it an then what. im out R&D.

Vteckidd
10-15-2006, 01:50 PM
since hinsons is almost a grand, im down, if you cut the costs in half, and make the manifold you need as well

But i call bullshit on the only do it in house
Im NOT going to pay someone to do what i can do, and not have to wait on them. I have NEVER taken my car to a shop for anything minus an alignment, and wont do it either.

I want a v8 in my 240 in a year, so me and my father can put it in. I have a shell lined up hopefully, and will get an ls1 soon after.

you contradict yourself. you say youll never pay someone to do what you can do, so then why are you interested in buying one of THEIR mount kits? why not just make one yourself ;) :???:

unkn0wndj
10-15-2006, 07:33 PM
LS1s have aluminum blocks unlike most 350s including the LT1. Aluminum=Lightweight.

YokotaS13
10-15-2006, 09:09 PM
you contradict yourself. you say youll never pay someone to do what you can do, so then why are you interested in buying one of THEIR mount kits? why not just make one yourself ;) :???:same reason people dont make their own mounts for b16 and b18 swaps

I woudl do all the installation, wiring, etc etc/

No contradiction, i just refuse to pay labor there is no labor charge on mounts as per say, it s a product

why doesnt everyone just make their own engines from scrap. becuase its easier to buy one already built, same with stuff liek apexi adn greddy turbo kits, its already put together, you just have to installed etc etc etc

a mount kit is no different. just one less thing i have to fab

Vteckidd
10-15-2006, 09:44 PM
same reason people dont make their own mounts for b16 and b18 swaps

I woudl do all the installation, wiring, etc etc/

No contradiction, i just refuse to pay labor there is no labor charge on mounts as per say, it s a product

why doesnt everyone just make their own engines from scrap. becuase its easier to buy one already built, same with stuff liek apexi adn greddy turbo kits, its already put together, you just have to installed etc etc etc

a mount kit is no different. just one less thing i have to fab

the difference is that a B16/B18 swap is the same MAKE AN MODEL of the car your putting it into. WAY less fab an wiring work. Plus, you CAN use OEM mounts to make the motors fit.

comparing a B16/GSR swap to a 2Jz swap in a nissan, or an LS1 swap in a nissan just proved my point.

If you sell mount kits, people will think its easy, bolt in. its not. Like i said, if you can tackle the wiring, the fabrication, driveshaft, then the mounts are easy.

if you refuse to pay a shop for labor, then you should be able to do the swap on your own, period. I mean, you dont think a shop factors in its labor costs in to their mount kit finished product?

PhAtBoYMr2
10-15-2006, 10:07 PM
someone needs to hurry up and figure out how to drop a viper motor in the 240sx.....now that would be badass.

HiPSI
10-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Whats the base hp on an ls1?

depends on which car it comes out of. most of the f-body motors (the cheaper ones) are 325 crank hp. later models with the LS6 intake manifold are 345 crank hp.

HiPSI
10-16-2006, 08:57 AM
i love how everyone hears of a swap and just wants to immediately do it without knowing fully how much actual custom work is involved.

no two chassis' are alike when you're talking about 10+ year old cars. not everything can just bolt in when you have very tight clearances for the bellhousing/transmission, exhaust routing and hood clearance. the only way they could build a kit to bolt the thing into a chassis would be a complete custom subframe and transmission crossmember, custom headers and exhaust system, custom cooling system, intake setup, wiring harness, etc. and you're talking BIG bucks for that stuff. Hinson's kit is a grand and it's a piece of shit band-aid kit to get the thing in there (and still requires you buy more parts to make it work).

if you think you have the aptitude to do this swap on your own, then you wouldn't be begging for a kit ;).

HiPSI
10-16-2006, 09:00 AM
someone needs to hurry up and figure out how to drop a viper motor in the 240sx.....now that would be badass.

hand me a blank check and i'll make it happen for you ;).

Big Baller
10-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Fuck it I'm just going to use motor plates on mine.