PDA

View Full Version : setting timing question

SLPR
10-10-2006, 09:16 PM
ok. ive recently posted this on the civic forums and honda-tech. didnt get any replies. so im hopin maybe someone on here knows....

can i set the timing with the car not running?

cuz my timing is wayyy off. and someone told me that could be the reason my car wont crank up. im just tryin to troubleshoot.

2.0civic
10-10-2006, 10:29 PM
did it jump time??

SLPR
10-10-2006, 10:38 PM
that i dont know. i really dont know what signs to look for if it did.

2.0civic
10-10-2006, 10:39 PM
did it just not start one day?? timing belt break??

SLPR
10-10-2006, 10:44 PM
well my timing was off, so a friend tried fuckin with it by just loosin up the dizzy bolts and advancing the timing. then on the way home, my car kept dying, then the next day, that was it...she hasnt crunk up since. my first thought was "could it be the timing belt" so i took the cover off and checked out what i could see. the belt is fairly new. but its an goodyear one. so im really over my head right now. dont know what to look for or do. took it to a local shop but they acted like they didnt wanna mess with a honda, and on top of that they were backed up.

luthi
10-11-2006, 12:50 PM
no you cannot set timingwith the engine not running. the dizzy should be keyed(only go in one way) the movement is only for fine tuning (+or- 15 degrees or so) take the dist cap off, get some one to spin the engine over, if the rotor is spinning the timing belt is not broken. to see if it jumped time (no marks reference just follow this) take a LONG (18-24") 1/4" extension and place in the #1 cylinder, the one closest to the timing belt( with all spark plugs removed) take (17 or 19mm) a socket and slowly spin the engine over by hand. as the #1 piston comes up the exrention will begin moving up. when the ext stops its upward movement it is at tdc (top dead center) check your rotor button, it should point to the #1 cyl eletrode in the cap. if not turn engine over slowly by hand until the ext goes down and back up one time. check dizzy again if not aligned possibly has jumped timing. any questions pm me

Z U L8R
10-12-2006, 10:09 AM
i think the problem began with "my timing was off." what tests were done to determine it was a timing issue in the first place?

BTEC
10-12-2006, 10:27 AM
can i set the timing with the car not running?

cuz my timing is wayyy off...

that i dont know. i really dont know what signs to look for if it did.

U KNOW UR TIMING IS OFF BUT U DNT KNOW HOW TELL IF ITS OFF OF HOW TO SET IT?

IF I HAD NO KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO FIX A CAR ID PUT CAR BACK LIKE IT WAS B4 JACKASS FRIEND MESSED WITH IT THEN TAKE IT TO A SHOP SO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING CAN DIAGNOSE IT.

SLPR
10-12-2006, 03:08 PM
never said i fucked with it...but i do know when a cars timing is fucked up.it didnt accel worth shit, and the score marks are way off. but iunno... good point,my dumb ass shoulda just waited and took it to a shop the next day. i didnt kno if u could adjust it with the car not bein able to run or not, thats why i asked.

BTEC
10-12-2006, 04:10 PM
never said i fucked with it...but i do know when a cars timing is fucked up.it didnt accel worth shit, and the score marks are way off. but iunno... good point,my dumb ass shoulda just waited and took it to a shop the next day. i didnt kno if u could adjust it with the car not bein able to run or not, thats why i asked.
TRY TO LINE THE DIZZY BACK UP WHERE IT WAS B4 UR FRIENDS MESSED WITH IT. THEN START THE CAR AND HOPE IT IDLES. THAT WNT MESS NE THING UP AT IDLE ITS JUST UR GUESSING ON WHERE THE TIMING IS GOING TO BE WHEN U START THE CAR. IF IT DOES RUN, GET IT TO A REPUTABLE SHOP ASAP.

green91
10-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Which timing are you concerned about, cam timing or ignition timing? Cam timing is checked with the engine off lol.

SLPR
10-12-2006, 07:10 PM
ignition timing

SLPR
10-12-2006, 07:12 PM
TRY TO LINE THE DIZZY BACK UP WHERE IT WAS B4 UR FRIENDS MESSED WITH IT. THEN START THE CAR AND HOPE IT IDLES. THAT WNT MESS NE THING UP AT IDLE ITS JUST UR GUESSING ON WHERE THE TIMING IS GOING TO BE WHEN U START THE CAR. IF IT DOES RUN, GET IT TO A REPUTABLE SHOP ASAP.

ill give it a go. actually just got my timing light back from my neighbor. preciate it

green91
10-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Just set the dist in the center and go from there. it would have to be WAAAYYYY off to not idle.

Jigoku Z
10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
If you have a timing light... you can still hook it up to your car.. and it will still flash when it hit only one cylinder...

You can also crank the car with someone turn the dis. little by little and see if it'll hit. But I would do the basic... check for spark and fuel first... if I were you...

SLPR
10-13-2006, 01:00 PM
ayye BTEC...i lined the dizzy up and it worked... my car cranks up, idles, but then goes back dead. better than it was cuz it wasnt crankin at all. one of my friends buddys from Nalley Honda suppose to come mess with it monday. thanx for the info.

green91
10-13-2006, 02:06 PM
can u hold the gas and keep it running?

scttydb411
10-13-2006, 05:40 PM
when you get it to tdc, make sure the cam gears are pointing up and lined up with each other horizontally. also look at the timing marks on the crank pully to see if it's lined up. if all looks good then set the dist in the middle, crank and set idle timing. if the car won't stay running then there is something else wrong.

check vac leaks, map, tps, etc for correct calibration/voltages.

do you have any cel?

SLPR
10-13-2006, 06:30 PM
naw i havent thrown a CEL yet. its actually crankin up now and is driveable, but i still need to get my timing set right.im not gonna drive it tonight. cuz it still accels like shit,like it did b4 . so me and my father gonna get out there tomorrow(hopefully its warmer outside), bring the car up to normal operatin temperature, throw a cel, get the timing light out, and tap the dizzy till the score marks are aligned. so hopefully everything goes well, if not,dude from Nalley is still comin down monday. thanks for all yalls help