PDA

View Full Version : speeding ticket question

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Hm, the cop didn't really explain much to me but hm

I got caught doing 24 over the posted speed limit ( either A) interesting or B) the cop was nice and didn't brag ) and I'm 19. How many points, is there court ( or is that only 25 and over ) etc etc?

2.0civic
10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
where was this at??

BlkCD5
10-01-2006, 06:27 PM
you're only allowed 4 points and i think the current ticket you got, thats nearing the limit, but im not sure.

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 06:29 PM
lol leaving Import Showdown on US80 RIGHT outside of Roberta - a car was going slow and finally turned and so I booted it... the cop basically watched me and lasered me and I qoute " I tagged the car doing 32 when turning, then you doing 35, 54, 67, 79 - you get the picture - so are you in a rush or something?" I flat out told him sorta cause the guy that was riding me - we were off to meet his wife somewhere cause she was waiting on him, and she's 7 months pregnant with twins etc - he just was like oh okay - wrote me my ticket and told me to have a good day, we said likewise, and complemented him on his hiding spot ( it was DAMN good - all you could see was barely the top of his lightbar, which looked like nothing at all over the wheat ) :lmfao: he was a cool GSP

2.0civic
10-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Damn...its hard as hell to get out of a GSP ticket

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 06:32 PM
well I was wondering more like what goes on my record etc - and what lal happens, or would I just have to pay it ( I'm not going to fight it )

MachNU
10-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Get a Defesive Driving class as soon as possible, then go to the judge and say i did wrong, and i even went and took a DD class without being told to, just to show how wrong i was....he should either drop the amount or drop the ticket if your lucky!

But on the hdiing spot, i have seen that one to, by a Special Unit cop, dark blue impala, with blacked out windows....was sitting in a ditch....at night....i didnt see him until i was RIGHT beside him!

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 06:45 PM
hm... where's ruiner when I need him LOL

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 07:10 PM
ut oh...

24 mph but less than 34 mph - 4 points

Under 21 Years of Age Suspension
The Georgia driver's license of any person under 21 years of age convicted of any of the following offenses shall be SUSPENDED:

Hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident in violation of Code Section 4-6-270.
Racing on highways or streets.
Using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude an officer.
Reckless driving.
Any offense for which four or more points are assessable under subsection (c) of Code Section 40-5-57.
*Unlawful passing of a school bus.
*Improper passing on a hill or curve.
*Exceeding the speed limit by 24 miles per hour or more.

RISKYB
10-01-2006, 07:16 PM
sounds like a ticket worth 300-500 smackers and 3 maybe 4 points but then again you are 19, just plead nolo that way you can pay the fine and be done with it, and accrue no points

B18c-rex
10-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Hate to break it to ya your license is gone when the dmv finds out about it. Its a combo of your age plus the speed you were going. And believe me losing your license for 6months - 1 year will suck hard. And there is snow ball chance in hell of fighting this one .... sorry to tell you this but its the truth :(

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 07:25 PM
hrm, I dont care about the points, nor about the fine, more about whether or not I get my license suspended ( its my first moving violation too )

MachNU
10-01-2006, 07:28 PM
hrm, I dont care about the points, nor about the fine, more about whether or not I get my license suspended ( its my first moving violation too )

trust me man do what i said....i had my lisence suspended last year for only a month was able to fight it off, and mine was for two tickets 21 and 20 over within 4 months!

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 07:34 PM
hmm, how much did that cost? If anything I might have to go down there and throw myself at the mercy at the court and if worse comes to worse see if they can drop my speed to at most 23 ( under the 24 )

gokblok
10-01-2006, 07:35 PM
you should be ok...just plead no lo...

I PLEAD THE FIF!!

NewGen33
10-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Sounds kida familiar. My Friend got a ticket for a 84 in a 45. His fine was over $400 and his liscence will be suspended as of this coming Tuesday for six months. But I have a question. Can he be clocked like that when the cop is going the opposite direction on a to lane road.

eraser4g63
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
You def need an attorney i use Dale Wren, cheap and does a damn good job he got me off an elude, street racing, and loitering ticket droped to just a loitering and a $75 fine. his number is 678-546-1661. I belive it is like $500 for him to come to meet with you once and then go to court with you. did a great job. But you def need an attorney.

MongolPup
10-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Sounds kida familiar. My Friend got a ticket for a 84 in a 45. His fine was over $400 and his liscence will be suspended as of this coming Tuesday for six months. But I have a question. Can he be clocked like that when the cop is going the opposite direction on a to lane road.

Yes. The cop couldn't have used laser (not from a moving vehicle), but they could have hit you with POP and then verified it with any number or types of radar. It used to be that the police cars motion and electronics fucked with radar, so that it couldn't be used while moving, but that is all figured out by now.

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 07:55 PM
:(

2.0civic
10-01-2006, 07:57 PM
what is POP? ive often wondered the same thing

David88vert
10-01-2006, 07:59 PM
If you are 19, you need to get a lawyer or you will lose your license down there. Guaranteed.

MongolPup
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
POP is a method of finding a car's speed from a moving car, however in the operators manual it clearly states that it is not accurate enough to give a ticket off it. So a moving cop might hit a car with POP (quicker) and then use radar (harder to do) to get their speed and give them a ticket.

wantboost
10-01-2006, 08:10 PM
You def need an attorney said
If you are 19, you need to get a lawyer or you will lose your license down there. Guaranteed.
what they said

RandomGuy
10-01-2006, 08:12 PM
sorry to say it to ya, but:

RISKYB
10-01-2006, 09:12 PM
try to talk to the solicitor before court and see what they are going to try to do

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 09:17 PM
^^ whats a solicitor? I mean I'm going to talk to the clerk and see whats going down - my friend got nailed for doign 30 over amongst other stuff and just had to pay it off

RandomGuy
10-01-2006, 09:20 PM
^^ whats a solicitor? I mean I'm going to talk to the clerk and see whats going down - my friend got nailed for doign 30 over amongst other stuff and just had to pay it off
:( man sux... lmk if u need somethin but damnnnnnn thats going to suck...

radar tickets arent too hard to get off with but lazer... :(

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 09:27 PM
^^ it was radar

Stormhammer
10-01-2006, 09:29 PM
and the last calibration check was... 11/05...

MachNU
10-01-2006, 09:33 PM
DUDE i am telling you theys people are wrong...this coming from first hand experience!!!! I acquired 6 points on my license in a 4 month span and only lost my lisence for 1 month....but that was due to a loophole i found! But YOU NEED TO TAKE A DEFENISVE DRIVING CLASS before you go to court....trust me it will help.....let the judge now that you fucked up, took the class, and am sorry and if its a nice judge he will probably drop the speed....if not NOLO is going to save your life!

RandomGuy
10-01-2006, 09:34 PM

B18c-rex
10-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Got busted for exactly the same thing coming back from GSU one year and lets just say i was walking/bumming rides for the rest of the year. My ticket was also issued by a gsp officer and i didn' t even think of fighting it. Just payed the fine and took the 12inches of policeman pole with out the loob just my :2cents:

HeLLo iM iZzY
10-01-2006, 10:26 PM
im in the same situation as you right now with my 29 over and im 17...im still waitin on my court date and I got my ticket in may...its been a while...hopeuflly a yr will pass and the case will be dismissed

MachNU
10-01-2006, 11:04 PM
im in the same situation as you right now with my 29 over and im 17...im still waitin on my court date and I got my ticket in may...its been a while...hopeuflly a yr will pass and the case will be dismissed

dont hold your breath i paid my fine, adn a year and a half later they sent me a notice saying that my licsence will be suspended as of ****!!!!

Stormhammer
10-02-2006, 12:20 AM
well, I'm gonna talk to a few key people, then wait till wednesday and call the clerk, see whats up, go down there anyways on the date one way or another mainly to talk to the D.A to see if I can get it dropped at least 1mph ( its worth a shot, and according to someone down there, its not out of the question at all )

ORGANIZATIONXIII
10-02-2006, 12:27 AM
this happened to me a few years back, I was going through ATL and clocked me at 25 over.

I went to court and talked to the solicitor and they were able to put me through this program through their court system, like a first time speeding offender, I forget the name of the program though.

anywho, the court was STUPID enough not to look at my MVR and see that I had two prior offenses, went through program, community service, Defensive Driving, essay, etc.

and got out of my ticket... but I had to pay $300 and fought the courts for 3 months after they found out that I had previous tickets... :yes:

they suspsended my license still, but I had the proof that they lowered my speed and didn't lose my license, and I had to go fuck with the DMV for two days..

it doesn't pay to speed... and I learned that BIG TIME.. but I do speed occassionally..

my advice is, go to DEFENSIVE DRIVING SCHOOL ASAP, pay the $75 and do it.. and plus you can claim it on your taxes.. :goodjob:

ORGANIZATIONXIII
10-02-2006, 12:30 AM
they will not dismiss your case, their is no grandfather clause that I'm aware of.. the infraction happened when you were at that certain age....

you either have to have a good solicitor thats willing to work for you or go out of pocket to hire a lawyer, your 29 over is a bit stretched..

stormhammers 24 may be a bit more workable.. but it all depends on your prior record and if their willing to help you..

and YOU MUST APPEAR at court for speeding over 24 mph if your under the age of 21..

Stormhammer
10-02-2006, 01:01 AM
stormhammers 24 may be a bit more workable.. but it all depends on your prior record and if their willing to help you..

and YOU MUST APPEAR at court for speeding over 24 mph if your under the age of 21..

the only tickets I've gotten was a too fast for conditions for my accident in the spring, and a fix it ticket - outside of that I have a squeaky clean record

ORGANIZATIONXIII
10-02-2006, 01:07 AM
I'd go to the DMV and check out your MVR.. I think it's like $6 and you can check your record from there.. and it'll tell you the points you've accrued..

b/c they'll look at your MVR and go from there...

but then again, you were clocked by a GSP.. so there may be little/or no wiggle room whatsoever.. but if you take the DD course.. it may help your case or take a point off... I forget how many pts. it takes off

ORGANIZATIONXIII
10-02-2006, 01:08 AM
btw, if I'm not mistaken, you cannot PLEAD NO LO....

I tried in court and they wouldn't let me... I forget what reason why they said I couldn't though..

Stormhammer
10-02-2006, 01:23 AM
alright - I'll take the points no problem, its the license I'm more concerned about ( my job literally needs my car to drive to customer houses etc )

EP3sAreFun
10-02-2006, 08:09 AM
well this gives you plenty of time to fix that over-heating problem.....

Justin. Take defensive Driving. its a boring as hell class and it WILL help you with the court.

Ruiner
10-02-2006, 08:54 AM
sounds like a ticket worth 300-500 smackers and 3 maybe 4 points but then again you are 19, just plead nolo that way you can pay the fine and be done with it, and accrue no points

Ummm, pleading "no lo" doesn't mean that it won't show up on your record, always.

2.0civic
10-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Ummm, pleading "no lo" doesn't mean that it won't show up on your record, always.

The official IA magistrate has spoken!!!

/thread

Ruiner
10-02-2006, 08:57 AM

Basically, that sums it up. GSP doesn't fuck around.

Ruiner
10-02-2006, 08:58 AM

Oh? Did you ask him to calibrate it there? Did he ask you if you wanted him to? That might be your ticket to getting out of that. However, are you SURE that it was radar? Typically, GSP shoots laser...

Stormhammer
10-02-2006, 09:42 AM
^^ my ticket is marked radar, so thats what I'm assuming - I didn't know what he got me with, so no I didnt ask him to calibrate it, nor did he ask me if I wanted him to

I also just got off the phone with the clerk at the probate court there. According to her, if I take a defensive driving class before my court date, and bring it with me, they drop the MPH regardless

sirkus
10-02-2006, 01:27 PM
My cousin got poped doin 136 in a 65. Cop was going in the other direction. Had to turn around and catch up to him. The eventually set up a road block about 6 miles up the road. (411 west going toward Rome, Ga) Cops pulled him out of the car and went crazy on his ass. He went to jail for the night. His lawyer got him out of the speeding ticket. All he was charged with was wreckless driving. Didn't get him with eluding the cops either, said he was going to fast to notice it was a cop. He got off with losing his licence for 6 months and 2 years probation.
A Lawyer can get you off on a lot of stuff.

HeLLo iM iZzY
10-02-2006, 01:59 PM
^ damn son !

VTECin5th
10-02-2006, 02:18 PM
24 Over Automatic 6months suspension if your under the age of 21, If I wore you I'd find a layer to lower the 24MPH downn to like 15 Over the speed limit, If you want to keep your lisence

ORGANIZATIONXIII
10-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I didn't have a LAWYER and I beat the system!

so I'm a prime example

David88vert
10-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Can you beat it without a lawyer? Sure, it can be beat.
Should you risk the loss of your license? It's up to you.
I suggest you shoot an email to Keith at the very least.
http://thegeorgiaspeedingticketkiller.com/

MachNU
10-02-2006, 06:54 PM
I didn't have a LAWYER and I beat the system!

so I'm a prime example

i didnt either....fuck...i am telling you coming form someone who went through this just over a yera ago....take a Defensive Driving class...and go in and litterally say you where stupid leanred your mistake, and most liekly the judge will drop the speed....maybe to 14 over if your lucky!

Stormhammer
10-02-2006, 08:31 PM
i didnt either....fuck...i am telling you coming form someone who went through this just over a yera ago....take a Defensive Driving class...and go in and litterally say you where stupid leanred your mistake, and most liekly the judge will drop the speed....maybe to 14 over if your lucky!

lol read what I posted earlier - I was on the phone with the clerk and she told me if I took a DD class and brought it into court with me, that I was good to go ( that they drop the speed no matter what apparently )

MachNU
10-02-2006, 08:32 PM
lol read what I posted earlier - I was on the phone with the clerk and she told me if I took a DD class and brought it into court with me, that I was good to go ( that they drop the speed no matter what apparently )

lol didnt see that....i have been saying the same thing over na dover since my first post in here!

~The_Duke~
10-02-2006, 08:33 PM
hmmm...interesting...

I got one a month ago for 25 over in a 65...I am trying to get in touch with the solitor and see if I can get it dropped to 23 over so I dont have to come to court...

Stormhammer
10-02-2006, 08:38 PM
^^ at least your over 21 lol

~The_Duke~
10-02-2006, 08:46 PM
^^ at least your over 21 lol

This is true, I got a 25 over in a 65 when I was 17 and my dad had to call the solitor and beg for them to lower it to 88 in a 65 instead of 90 so that I wont loose it...

PRiMAdonna
10-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I've gotten 3 speeding tickets this year (the only 3 tickets ive ever gotten-- what a year, right?)
I know that different counties do everything a little differently, but this is the info i've gathered since going through all that this year...

you shouldn't be REQUIRED to go to the arraignment (aka your court date on your ticket) unless you were doing 25+ over.
HOWEVER, you should GO. plead NOLO, and then talk to the solicitor afterwards about what exactly will happen.
Most of the time you won't be able to talk to the solicitor beforehand.
The driving laws have also been ever-changing, and i've heard mixed laws about the whole speeding/points deal. I heard that the "4 points & your license is gone" thing applies to under 18 year olds.

I am 20, almost 21, and i've had 3 tickets. Two for going 21 over, and one for going 17 over, and nothing has happened to me, except for the annoying & high fines.

I think you'll be fine. BUT, that's just my :2cents: ...good luck!!

hefftone
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
You'll prolly get a week in jail plus community service. Buy some Ky.

Stormhammer
10-02-2006, 10:41 PM
you shouldn't be REQUIRED to go to the arraignment (aka your court date on your ticket) unless you were doing 25+ over.

pretty sure I have to go. Its probate court :lmfao:

PRiMAdonna
10-03-2006, 02:10 AM
You'll prolly get a week in jail plus community service. Buy some Ky.

:lmfao: :lmfao:

:gay: :idb: gay buttsecks FTL!!

PRiMAdonna
10-03-2006, 02:11 AM
pretty sure I have to go. Its probate court :lmfao:

oh, wow....that's.. not even funny...

Stormhammer
10-03-2006, 10:26 AM
I know :(

Stormhammer
10-03-2006, 02:43 PM
w00t! my fine is only $143, add defensive driving, drop my mph and lower points and I'm good to goooo! :bump:

ORGANIZATIONXIII
10-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I've gotten 3 speeding tickets this year (the only 3 tickets ive ever gotten-- what a year, right?)
I know that different counties do everything a little differently, but this is the info i've gathered since going through all that this year...

HOWEVER, you should GO. plead NOLO, and then talk to the solicitor afterwards about what exactly will happen.
Most of the time you won't be able to talk to the solicitor beforehand.
The driving laws have also been ever-changing, and i've heard mixed laws about the whole speeding/points deal. I heard that the "4 points & your license is gone" thing applies to under 18 year olds.

I am 20, almost 21, and i've had 3 tickets. Two for going 21 over, and one for going 17 over, and nothing has happened to me, except for the annoying & high fines.

I think you'll be fine. BUT, that's just my :2cents: ...good luck!!

she says that now.. weeks later, there will be certified mail at the house, asking you to surrender your DL..

anyways, you got off BIG time under $300 with Defensive Driving.. :goodjob:

Stormhammer
10-03-2006, 03:06 PM
^^ well a lawyer I spoke with told me to just make sure they do things properly, and if need be go as far as to get a disclaimer saying something along the lines that the speed was dropped and the license gets kept

BKgen®
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I got a ticket from a Gainesville cop about this time last year. I was doing 26 over the speed limit (was 18 yrs old at the time) and technically, i should've lost my license. BUT, i took a defensive driving class one saturday and showed up at court with it and they let me off because of taking the course and because my last ticket was over 2 yrs ago. The fine was $212, and no probation. Some other people there that were my age were getting $600-700 fines and 12 months probation.

So, your best bet would be to take the course and hope for the best. Since you're right there at the 24 mph cutoff, he'll probably let you go... unless he's a dick.
This your first speeding ticket?

edit: oh yeah, and when they ask you what you plead, say you plead to reduce the speed.

StupidBikerBoy
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but my friend got a ticket for 24 over a few years back. It was 4 points and he lost his license for 6 months.