PDA

View Full Version : Help Toyota/Lexus tech or anyone that knows......

dfire9
09-29-2006, 07:41 AM
I have Lexus and the engine light came on and it is giving code P1155 which is
P1155
Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

i thought this was o2 sensor and replaced it but light came back on. Does anyone know what this could be or could it be i got bad sensor?

VTECin5th
09-29-2006, 07:48 AM
You should check out the Lexus forums

dfire9
09-29-2006, 07:59 AM
I did but they dont reply for awhile and i trying to get this fixed.

Jaimecbr900
09-29-2006, 11:43 AM
That is not a standard off the shelf O2 sensor that needs replacing. You have to replace it with the factory Air/fuel O2 sensor and reset the ECU.

Did you replace it with a factory piece? What Lexus do you have?

dereksi
09-29-2006, 11:48 AM
yea there is a diff between oxygen sensor and air/fuel sensor. And what he said^^^. I work at a lexus shop,what year and make and ill look it up for you........its slow today lol

05Tib
09-29-2006, 12:38 PM
look up Corey99 (i think is his name on here). He works at Lexus in service department and can help you out

N/A EK
09-29-2006, 12:39 PM
This is the wrong Forum...

dfire9
09-29-2006, 01:08 PM
It is 1998 es 300. Thanks for the help. So are you saying the o2 sensor that is on backside of engine near firewall was not right part to replace or that it is just wrong part?And no i did not get part from dealership i got Bosch o2 sensor.

Sorry it is wrong forum got confused in new format.

Rican219
09-29-2006, 01:38 PM
It is 1998 es 300. Thanks for the help. So are you saying the o2 sensor that is on backside of engine near firewall was not right part to replace or that it is just wrong part?And no i did not get part from dealership i got Bosch o2 sensor.

Sorry it is wrong forum got confused in new format.

FUCKIN GET A REAL CAR LIKE A CIVIC!! :lmfao:

MOVING THREAD BISH

dereksi
09-29-2006, 01:43 PM
You sure you have the right sensor in there? If you have the old one put the part number on here and ill tell you if its an oxy sensor or air/fuel sensor. Some have oxy some have air/fuel

dfire9
09-29-2006, 01:49 PM
The old one is also a Bosch sensor. It went out last year sometime and when i replaced it, it went away. Now year later it is giving me the P1155 code.I will say that the plug did not match up and they at Autozone said i could just splice wires together and keep same plug that i have. So im replacing the right part? Are you saying i may have wrong part?Thanks for your help on this i cannot stand rifin around with light on. Lastly does this affect anything else with car by me driving it?

So do i need to ask for air/fuel sensor and not o2 sensor?

dereksi
09-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Ugh.... you shouldnt "just" splice the wires. If the connection isnt right the part isnt right...you might be putting an oxy sensor in when it needs the air/fuel or vise versa. Know what I mean? Just get a factory part. where do you live?

dereksi
09-29-2006, 02:05 PM
I dont know which one you need? that car comes with both. Air/fuel sensors part number starts with 89467-xxxxx and oxy sensor starts with 89465-xxxxx thats why i asked for the part number on your old one but since you dont have the old one, just have to match up connectors bro.

dfire9
09-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Near ronald reagan right near 124

Jaimecbr900
09-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Ugh.... you shouldnt "just" splice the wires. If the connection isnt right the part isnt right...you might be putting an oxy sensor in when it needs the air/fuel or vise versa. Know what I mean? Just get a factory part. where do you live?

Exactly.

That is what I was trying to tell him in the beginning. One is a regular ole O2 sensor and the other is an Air/Fuel sensor. They look alike, but they are different. If he replaced it with a run of the mill O2, he will still have the code. If he didn't reset the ECU, he may still have a CEL.

dfire9: Get the part number off the old one and post it up here. Derek can look it up and tell you which one it is and just replace that one and reset the ECU. Done.

More than likely you just replaced the wrong one or WITH the wrong one. :goodjob:

dfire9
09-29-2006, 02:32 PM
So this might be stupid question, but what kind goes in the bank 1 sensor 1? Is it the air/fuel or o2? Can u get air/fuel sensor from autozone or does it have to come from factory?

dereksi
09-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Exactly.

That is what I was trying to tell him in the beginning. One is a regular ole O2 sensor and the other is an Air/Fuel sensor. They look alike, but they are different. If he replaced it with a run of the mill O2, he will still have the code. If he didn't reset the ECU, he may still have a CEL.

dfire9: Get the part number off the old one and post it up here. Derek can look it up and tell you which one it is and just replace that one and reset the ECU. Done.

More than likely you just replaced the wrong one or WITH the wrong one. :goodjob:
:goodjob: thats what im saying. And dfire, im not trying to be a dick here...me and jamie are saying is that car can have either one,does that make sense? Bank 1 sensor 1 can be either one.

dereksi
09-29-2006, 02:38 PM
And I guess you can get one from autozone but im a lexus tech and all i use is lexus parts sooo its up to you.

dfire9
09-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Only thing is that the sensor that was there is not factory one. Is this affecting the car to where i dont need to drive it? And the guy at autozone reset it with his engine code puller.

dfire9
09-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh no i understand and i dont think u are being dick i really appreciate the help. So i thinking maybe i should take one i have back and ask for air fuel sensor and put that one in. Do you know how much air/fuel is at lexux dealership. So is there anyway to find ouit exactly which one it needs or is it try it and see. Again thanks for your help

dereksi
09-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Just cause he reset it doesnt mean its fixed...and no its gonna "hurt" the car but you need to get it fixed. And a question what did you cut and splice? The new connecter on the o2 or the wiring harness side?

dfire9
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
No i know just cause he reset it it is not fixed but i want to make sure it reset to see if it was going to come back. I took connector one off of the sensor i got from autozone and put the one on it that came from factory. Did you mean it will not harm car? Yeah iam trying to get fixed asap i cannot stand riding with light on.Did you say there is some way to find out which kind it needs and air/fuel or o2. Or should i assume that since o2 did not work the other one will? Also do you know how much sensor is at lexus or if not what exactly is it called so i can get price for it.

Jaimecbr900
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I hope you didn't go splicing cables as Autozone "suggested"..... :cry:

You will be better served if you call the dealership closest to you and ask them for your Air/Fuel sensor rather than having some Autozone guy try to figure it out for you. As Derek and I have said a couple of times, they LOOK the same, but they are NOT the same. They don't even have the same part number. If the Autozone guys only have 1 part number for what you're asking.....as Bill Engle says....."theeeerrreee's you sign!!". :D

BTW, please do NOT go cut and splicing anything in that harness....PLEASE!!!!! If you don't want a perpetual CEL, do NOT cut into the harness. The right sensor will plug right in w/o any cutting. Again, that's your first sign. :goodjob:

dereksi
09-29-2006, 03:02 PM
^^^word

Jaimecbr900
09-29-2006, 03:03 PM
You know you can reset the ECU yourself, right?

dfire9
09-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Did not know how is it easy enough to post how to do it? No i did not cut harness to car only one to the sensor that they gave me.So what exactly do i need to ask for at dealership and maybe i can call them in morning to get correct part.

Side not it is funny u said that cause that is what he said when i asked him they have same part number they are the same.LOL

Again i appreciate yall helping me i just want to get this fixed.

Iam heading home and will check forum as soon as i get there.

Jaimecbr900
09-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Did not know how is it easy enough to post how to do it? No i did not cut harness to car only one to the sensor that they gave me.So what exactly do i need to ask for at dealership and maybe i can call them in morning to get correct part.

Side not it is funny u said that cause that is what he said when i asked him they have same part number they are the same.LOL

Again i appreciate yall helping me i just want to get this fixed.

Iam heading home and will check forum as soon as i get there.

To reset your ECU, simply unplug your positive batt terminal for about 15 mins. Done!

If he said that he only has one part number, go back and return to him the POS he gave you.

Find the old part you took off, or better yet call your Dealership and ask them to get you the Air/fuel sensor (NOT the just the O2) for Bank 1. Verify that it's a different part no. than the O2 for the same bank. Go pay, install, and enjoy. :goodjob:

SLow_POke
09-29-2006, 07:26 PM
cant argue with these 2 fellas man . get the part at the dealer since oyu where throwing the code A/F sensor .

and i would'nt shop around at Autozone for a lexus part.

one other thing I would persoanlly take the advise from a lexus tech been he around lexus all day lol

GL
-Ernie

dfire9
09-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks again guys i really appreciate it and i will call tomorrow to check lexus for the part and i will let you know what happens.

green91
09-29-2006, 09:26 PM
You can have a Toyota dealer cross-reference the pn# and get it for less. its a air-fuel sensor, and if i remember correctly b1 is the firewall side head. Im a toyota technican myself. dont use autozone sensors for your lexus. Also i hope the new sensor u put in had anti-seize on it or they are prone to seizing into the manifolds.

dfire9
09-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Yeah cause i think it is the same motor that is in a camry. So can i just call Toyota and ask for the part?

green91
09-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Yes, still tell them you car and they can cross-reference it to a toyota part #. Even though its the same motor as a camry it may not use hte same sensors

3kgtdrvr
09-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Just cause he reset it doesnt mean its fixed...and no its gonna "hurt" the car but you need to get it fixed. And a question what did you cut and splice? The new connecter on the o2 or the wiring harness side?

...u could run rich and burn up the cat or run lean as hell and burn up ur motor...an o2 sensor needs to cycle 8 times in 10 seconds between 0 and 1 volt while a a/f sensor stays constant at 3.3v, i think that could cause a problem. not to mention they may be more susceptible to rfi now that the wires have been tampered with. did u say u had one in for a year and it never gave u a problem? if thats so then they might have given u the right part but the heated circuit might have gone bad possibly due splicing wires. an o2 sensor needs to get to like 800 degrees fahrenheit before it goes into closed loop so sometiems they put a little heater core in there to speed up the time it takes for it to heat up which is the code u threw. either way, i think it was well stated that u should never cut and splice that stuff and parts guys are dumbfucks...right now i cant get this car done at work bc i have been sent the wrong calipers 3 times :doh: good luck though

dfire9
10-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I do have one question before i buy air fuel. Like the guy said above last year i replaced this same sensor with one from autozone and had to change connector per autozone guy. Once we got done putting it in the light was reset and the code went away. Now a year later it has came back and giving the P1155. Since i replaced it with the regular o2 sensor first time and it worked, is it possible that the same thing now needs a air/fuel and not regular o2? Just want to make sure i get right thing before i spend the money.Or is there anyway to be able to tell which one it needs?

dfire9
10-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Ok here it goes i called lexus and they said that the 1998 ES 300 does not have air/fuel sensors it only has o2 sensors. So i got a price on that. My only question now is, even though it is giving off air/fuel code can it still be regular o2 sensor? I also called toyota and they cross referenced the part number and they also have it and it is cheaper. Does this sound right to any of you? Is it safe to get one from toyota dealership?

green91
10-02-2006, 02:02 PM
listen, i work for a toyota dealer and any time we work on a lexus we cross reference as much as possible to get the prices down and to use our own stock, its fine.

I just looked up your es300 on our computer, p1155 is an AIR FUEL sensor code. the p1155 code is limited to california spec es300 in 98, so it is NOT an o2. the dealer probably looked up sensors for a federal spec es300 which doesnt have an a/f sensor.

dfire9
10-02-2006, 05:19 PM
So you are saying that the problem is not an O2 sensor. I just got one of the code pullers and pulled codes myself and this is what came up

P1153 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P1155 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

So with these codes what do you think the problem is? I never got the 1153 until now do you know which sensor that is? Is that the one on top of manifold?

green91
10-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok, an o2 and a air/fuel sensor are not the same. a p1155 will only appear on a CALI spec es300 which has air/fuel sensors. Heater circuit malf codes 99% of the time need a new sensor.. im not sure about the p1153. Bank 1 and bank 2 are each of the heads, so youre getting codes for both the front and rear head sensors. and yes they are the ones in the exhaust manifolds.

dfire9
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Can one sensor cause the other sensor to read wrong? Reason i ask is cause this is first time the P1153 has come up and i have ran the codes at least 4 different times.

Lastly i see what you are saying , so when i replaced last year with o2 sensor from autozone, do u know how it could have work for year before coming back? Is there something on the car that would tell me if it Cali spec? I really appreciate your help on this.

green91
10-02-2006, 09:26 PM
No, they are typically un-related except in the rare case of a bad ECM. As far as it working, im guessing somehow u got an air/fuel sensor from them.. im really not sure. Doesnt really make much sense imo. Im basing the car being cali spec on the code you got, per my lexus TIS information it will only throw a p1155 on a cali spec with a bad AF sensor.. ill try and post up the PDF file on the code tomorrow.

tomorrow at work ill check out your other code to see what its about, i havent personally seen it before so im curious also. theres a few parts that you should never use an aftermarket generic part on, o2 and air/fuel sensors being one of them lol.

dfire9
10-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Cool well yeah i just want to make sure i get right part. Did you know of way to find out if car is cali spec? Can i get the air/fuel sensor at the toyota dealership also?

Oh let me ask u this if this is dumb question u can smack me, but if the car has air/fuel sensors does that mean the one on the front of manifold will also be air/fuel? Reason i ask is cause there is factory on on that and i got the part number off that one just in case it was needed. The part number on that on is 89467-41010 so i guess what iam asking is if say they both require air/fuel then that should let me know since it is part from factory. Do you see what iam getting at?

green91
10-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Well the pn# was on your stock sensor and would have been the best way to determine what it really is. but according to TIS the p1155 only shows up on cali spec cars.. and yes you can get nearly any part for your lexus from toyota.

dfire9
10-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Edited last post

green91
10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Ok the way the sensors naming works is, bank 1 and 2 are each of the heads, and the sensors are numbered in order. Typically on that motor if i remember correctly, bank 1 is the rear head, and sensor 1 is the first sensor from the head, making it the sensor on the exhaust manifold. bank 2 sensor 1 is the sensor on the exhaust manifold on the front head. B1S1 and B2S1 will both be the same types of sensors (air fuel) but they will have different part numbers because the connector wiring are different lenghts. Stock sensors will also have a colored band (sticker) on them to help match up with a new sensor. If that pn# comes up to an air fuel sensor then both of the sensors on the manifolds will be air fuel sensors.

dfire9
10-02-2006, 09:57 PM
ok yeah cause i think bank 1 sensor 1 is the sensor on the back side near firewall and i guess the other one would be the one right on top.So is bak 2 sensor one the one right on top when u open hood? So actually tomorrow i can call and give them part number to the sensor that is right on the top when you open hood and that will tell me if i have regular o2 sensors or air/ fuel sensors.

green91
10-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Correct! If you call them and get a pn and it turns out they are o2 sensors, id suspect a bad ECM.

dfire9
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Why would u say bad ECM do u not think it would be bad o2 sensor. I know the one from autozone is new but we did have to cut connector off of that one and put right connector on so it cold not work from that or do u think that would make a difference? How expensive would u guess it is if have bad ECM?

green91
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
If your getting codes for air flow sensors and you have o2 sensors then something is wrong lol.

dfire9
10-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok ok i gotcha well i will try to find out what the part # is tomorrow from lexus when they open.I will reply tomorrow morning when i get their answer. Again thanks for your help do u have access to computer during day or just evening time?

green91
10-03-2006, 07:04 AM
yes i carry my laptop to work with me

dfire9
10-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Ok i called and he said that is a air/fuel sensor part number. So i guess i need an air /fuel sensor for that back one. Is that safe to assume?
The part number he gave me for the sensor that i think i need is 89467-41021. Do you know the price for this one at toyota?

green91
10-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Yea id say its safe to assume you need an air fuel sensor. Your best bet is to call whatever dealer is closest to you and ask.. prices vary a little between dealers

dfire9
10-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Which one do u work at?

green91
10-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Milton Martin Toyota in gainesville.

dfire9
10-03-2006, 12:15 PM
I called Atlanta toyota and they said part was 209.20 and lexus says the part is 263.83. That is crazy for exact same part.

green91
10-03-2006, 02:39 PM
bingo! i used to work at atlanta toyota, their prices are fairly reasonable for a toyota dealer. whats funny is lexus parts still come in toyota packaging, there is absolutely no difference in them.

dfire9
10-03-2006, 02:56 PM
The funny thing is mall of ga toyota told me part was 250.47 and world toyota said part is 227.70. No one has same price. I will probably get part from toyota. Do you know if i will still get warranty since it is going on lexus and i bought from toyota

green91
10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
The funny thing is mall of ga toyota told me part was 250.47 and world toyota said part is 227.70. No one has same price. I will probably get part from toyota. Do you know if i will still get warranty since it is going on lexus and i bought from toyota

You should, but im not sure how a part warranty works with a customer installed part. Would be a good question to ask the parts representative you talk to when you buy the sensor

dfire9
10-05-2006, 06:24 AM
Well i got everthing and will install today. Guy at toyota dealer said to clean other sensor with brake cleaner to clean of stuff that may have gotten on there from broken sensor. Would you also recommend this. And if so just any kind of brake cleaner?

dfire9
10-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Ok I installed it reset the light and it came back on and it is giving me a P0125 and P1153. But it is not giving me the P1155 and more. Here are what the codes say what do you think from here?

P1153 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control

green91
10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
dude you replace both a/f sensors?

dfire9
10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
No just the one. So do you think i need to change the other one also? Also do you think that will clear the P0125 code. The guy at sutozone says it is coolant temp sensor but for some reason i dont think it is that. What do you think? I just want it to be fixed and done. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

green91
10-05-2006, 08:50 PM
He's wrong, i dealt with that code today. Its closely related to the a/f sensors and the MAF. Typically from a sensor becoming lazy and not sweeping as it should. BTW, reset your ECU for the new air fuel sensor by pulling the EFI fuse for about a minute.

dfire9
10-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Where do you pull that from? I dissconnected the battery for about 10 to 15 min will that reset it? I also cleaned the one sensor with brake cleaner per guy at toyota. Do you think i need to replace the other sensor on manifold right when you open the hood. Also will that clear the P0125 code. What was solution on car you dealt with?

green91
10-05-2006, 09:12 PM
I order an a/f sensor for it today. It was a lazy sensor and set the code. and yea the battery should work too.

dfire9
10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
yeah i dissconnected it and drove about 3 miles and it came back on and and gave me code 1153 and 0125. Like i said the 1155 went away so are u suggesting i need to replace one right when u open hood? Also u never said do u think it will clear both codes? So you said i can rule out coolant temp? If so i will go get part tomorrow and replace it.

dfire9
10-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Green where you at? We almost at the end holla back

dfire9
10-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone who posted in helping me with car. And big ups to GREEN91 iI appreciate all your help and advise i ended up replacing both sensors and seems to have taken care of problemI have drove to work and all day yesterday and light has not come on. Thanks again i really appreciate

green91
10-10-2006, 07:51 PM
sorry man i been away lol. but yea i was going to say to try replacing the other sensor also. but typically the CEL wouldnt come back right away anyway, they are a 2-trip logic DTC. but more than likely its fixed for ya now. id say you were lucky, i have alot of problems with the sensors seizing in manifolds on that 3.0 lol. OEM toyota sensors come with anti-seize though so you should be alright if you gotta do them again in the future.

Z U L8R
10-12-2006, 10:27 AM
your motor is a v6, so it has 2 heads, the head that has cylinder 1 is bank 1, the head that has cylinder 2 is bank 2, sensor 1 means before the cat, sensor 2 means after the cat, so bank 1 sensor 1 would be before the cat, on the exhaust manifold where cylinder 1 is. on your car cylinder 1 is on the passenger side near the fire wall, the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 , toward the firewall is cylinders 1, 3, & 5, in the front of the engine starting from passenger side to driver is 2, 4 ,& 6. bank 1 sensor 1 is BEFORE the cat near the firewall :D , and don't use cheap ass bosch universals that you have to wire in unless you know how to do it #1, #2 if you changed the correct sensor you probably didn't wire it right, you can get a denso oe replacement for not that much #3 the problem may not be the sensor you could have a damaged wire or short in the heater circuit....good luck
Denso Part # 2344622 ( non-california model ) $200.70 suggested list price ( i can get you one a little over my cost, not this list price, if you want ^_^ )

Z U L8R
10-12-2006, 10:33 AM
oh i didn't realize there was 3 more pages......i'm late LOL, at least you know your firing order now....not like you want to replace the back 3 plugs though LOL

Jaimecbr900
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm glad you got it resolved.

Don't forget to tip the waitresses on the way out..... ;) :D

green91
10-12-2006, 04:57 PM
oh i didn't realize there was 3 more pages......i'm late LOL, at least you know your firing order now....not like you want to replace the back 3 plugs though LOL

bah they arent that bad lol. the rear VC gasket is alot more fun