PDA

View Full Version : FADED CARBON HOOD? WHAT TO DO?

97WhYt_TeG
09-28-2006, 12:08 PM
i have a vis oem carbon hood....it is faded like hell. i tryed buffin with wax but it didn't do much...i heard that i should try using some rubbing compound on it then buffing out with wax after.... does that work or should i get it re cleared? help please it looks like ass

souldigger
09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I wet sanded mine from 400 grit up to 1500 grit then use Meguiars #9 swirl remover and waxed. Looked brand new again.

-Jason

The Yousef
09-28-2006, 01:50 PM
yeah...some hoods do not come with clear coat...it has a gel coat from the factory...i believe that is why they fade (i maybe mistaken)....

97WhYt_TeG
09-28-2006, 02:25 PM
so you used scratch remover then buffed it? - souldigger
yeah i don't think i have clear only gel- lude

LQQKITZME
09-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I need to get mine done as well

§treet_§peed
09-28-2006, 03:45 PM
yeah your best bet would of been to get it clear coated when you first got it...

BimmerMan
09-28-2006, 03:48 PM
i've heard that they don't come w/ a clear coat on it.... and they end up going to shit if you don't put clear on it.

§treet_§peed
09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
^^ exactly they have gel coat on them, but not a clear coat..tis different...atleast that is what i have always heard

souldigger
09-28-2006, 04:58 PM
so you used scratch remover then buffed it? - souldigger
yeah i don't think i have clear only gel- lude

yeah I used scratch/swirl remover after I wetsanded it. Looks great again. Hope it last. Going on 3 months so far. Mine only had slight hazing in the middle. It is a VIS as well.

-Jason

jon360
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
check this out...
http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43053

Bishop
09-28-2006, 07:58 PM
yeah you need it clear coated...I do not beleive there is a gel coat on them at all. Just the resin. If it is not clear coated, it will fade.

5thgcelica
09-28-2006, 08:06 PM
yeah..we need to do that to mine craig....

dazn
09-28-2006, 08:11 PM
yeah you need it clear coated...I do not beleive there is a gel coat on them at all. Just the resin. If it is not clear coated, it will fade.

ding ding ding
no gel coat on cf parts, just resin.

Bishop
09-28-2006, 08:20 PM
yeah..we need to do that to mine craig....
yes we do

SloWRX
09-28-2006, 08:27 PM
buy a new one :yes:

§treet_§peed
09-28-2006, 10:51 PM
:stupid: :D

Bishop
09-29-2006, 06:03 AM
buy a new one :yes:
lol why waste $500 on a new one when you can get it clear coated for around $150

Doppelgänger
09-29-2006, 07:25 AM
I used to work with a lot of carbon/composites. The gel coat that gets sprayed into the mold is hard to make work like clear coat when it comes to cleaning since it is less "flexable" to buffing and waxing. I repaired a freinds AE86 carbon hood and when i was done i used a specific wax to clear the hazing. The wax is used to coat parts before being covered in carbon/glass.. its a mold release wax..usually made from beeswax.

97WhYt_TeG
09-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Well last night i tried out the turtle rubbing compound. i dampend the buffer cloth and put rubbing compound on it. i buffed it on there and let it dry. then i buffed it out with a buffer with zymol wax. it did it ever spot twice with both. it look a hell of a lot better than it did....but in certain angles it still has that haze. i mean i can actually see the carbon again. but i think i'ma try re clearing it like on the link

Bballjamal
09-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Lotta wet sanding and maybe two good coats of clear! I've always heard to get any c/f hood re-cleared once you buy it just to dodge problems like this!

brads94accord
09-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Well last night i tried out the turtle rubbing compound. i dampend the buffer cloth and put rubbing compound on it. i buffed it on there and let it dry. then i buffed it out with a buffer with zymol wax. it did it ever spot twice with both. it look a hell of a lot better than it did....but in certain angles it still has that haze. i mean i can actually see the carbon again. but i think i'ma try re clearing it like on the link

well you wanna make sure you sand it before you clear again otherwise you are just gonna be clearing over haze. just wetsand w/ 800 and 1000, then clear it, then wetsand w/ 1500 and 2000, then compound and polish and it will look great.

dazn
09-29-2006, 10:33 AM
I used to work with a lot of carbon/composites. The gel coat that gets sprayed into the mold is hard to make work like clear coat when it comes to cleaning since it is less "flexable" to buffing and waxing. I repaired a freinds AE86 carbon hood and when i was done i used a specific wax to clear the hazing. The wax is used to coat parts before being covered in carbon/glass.. its a mold release wax..usually made from beeswax.

gel coat into the molds??? are we talking glass here?
first you use mold release wax, then you spray PVA onto the molds for a good release and from there, you start by brushing resin onto the molds then laying your dry carbon or in the case of pre-preg, you can just start laying up. there really is no kind of clear or anything like that on carbon parts, it is just the resin. ive done composites for quite a while for several different companies and that is all I have ever seen.

Capt._Ron
09-29-2006, 01:56 PM
yes if i ever buy another one i def. will have it clear coated first b/c i bought a car with an old vis c/f hood and it looks like primer ha ha but who cares its still light as all get out

§treet_§peed
09-30-2006, 01:44 PM
hey drop top drifter i saw you a few weekends ago at P. Hill i was the guy that came over there and started talking to the dude in the silver RSX..the one with the almost same liscences plate on it lol..i've known him for a while..