PDA

View Full Version : FOR DRIFTING COMPETITORS: WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT PRO DRIFTING

Tracy
09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Batlground has been approached by an organization who is interested in putting together a professional drifting series for the East Coast. I am putting my feelers out there to see what you would like to see changed in the way professional drifting is run or judged. Please feel free to comment on what you do like about the way drifting is run and judged. I would also like to state that it may be possible that Drift Fury will become a feeder series for when this organization is ready to do this. The way it would work is, you would come to any of the Drift Fury events that we have on our schedule and if you get X amount of points at ONE of our events then you recieve your pro license. The other way to obtain you pro license would be if you came to the actual professional event and qualified the day before (similar to how FD used to do it). So, you would in the end have 2 choices to obtain your license. But please feel free to talk about how you think it would work best to qualify for a pro license.

As always, I am trying to come at this from a drivers perpective. I am trying to make sure that I listen to the peole who will ultimately make a series happen. No drivers = no series. I want to make sure that we hear all of the opinions and try to do the best we can to be fair to everyone. I think that getting input from the competitors is the best way to go about it.

feel free to e-mail me if you like [email protected] or you can post here.

Vteckidd
09-27-2006, 02:56 PM
more drag racing, that would interest me.

JUST KIDDING

Marty
09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
One thing I would like to see, but would not be a neccesity would be car classes. Much like how autocrosses are run.

For example:

4 cylinder NA
4 cylinder Unnaturally Aspirated
6 cy
8cy
etc....

or by power:
Sub 200HP
200- 300HP
300HP and up

Hell even have a FWD class.

I think this would be fun, but it will be harder to classify some cars or have people sandbagging.

Just a thought though :)

Doppelgänger
09-27-2006, 05:14 PM
sent you a email Tracy :)

Tracy
09-28-2006, 11:41 AM
thanks for the input guys. Marty I am sending this over to our guys for review.

Tracy
10-02-2006, 10:12 PM
bump?

Ruststang
10-02-2006, 11:25 PM
i would like to see a huge drop in the female drifter population

Tracy
10-02-2006, 11:27 PM

hater!

fawk_you
10-02-2006, 11:35 PM
more like there needs to be more. :goodjob:

Tracy
10-02-2006, 11:53 PM
more like there needs to be more. :goodjob:

I second that ;) we win!

fawk_you
10-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I second that ;) we win!
I agree. :)

Seriously though, girls need to get out and do that kinda stuff more often. SCCA etc.etc. I went to an event this past Sunday... I worked grid before my run and one of the guys that came through made mention about me running and how cool it was to actually see girls doing it. I was the only 1! It saddens me that girls arent more adventurous. Hell they will go out and purchase boobs and become a completely diff. person and be adventurous as to who they sleep with and what type of disease they get.... but not anything thats outa the relm of getting your nails done or any shit like that. :screwy:

AE86 Dorifto
10-03-2006, 06:14 AM
Don't worry , you'll have another one coming your way. She just needs to decide on an engine for her 240 first. (I think it's going to be rb20 powered) And I think Andy Sapp should not be allowed to compete. Just have him do show stuff. No one else is as good as him. Plus, he's doing more stuff to his car, right? Nobody will have a chance then.

CodyW
10-03-2006, 11:15 AM
so just because someone is good they should be banned?

Tracy
10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Don't worry , you'll have another one coming your way. She just needs to decide on an engine for her 240 first. (I think it's going to be rb20 powered) And I think Andy Sapp should not be allowed to compete. Just have him do show stuff. No one else is as good as him. Plus, he's doing more stuff to his car, right? Nobody will have a chance then.

I'm so tired of hearing about the girl who will be driving soon. I think I hear it everyday. It's kind of like the person who says "My car will make 1000 whp when it's done and then we can race" and you never see that car :D

And Andy Sapp will be able to compete as long as he is not a pro driver ;) and he is not a pro driver right now.

josh green
10-03-2006, 01:18 PM
people with some skills, at nopi I noticed that hardly anyone makes enough power for some tire smoke while sliding. You watch the guys WINNING the D1 events, they are making shit tons of power and know how to control it. The guy that drives the D1 viper at tunerfest, THAT guy has car control and I am sure he makes 2-3 times more power than any drift car I have seen around here.

oh yeah, solo runs are boring, its only fun to watch when there is a probability that 2+ guys could smash into each other. Thats what makes it "exciting"

Annihilation
10-03-2006, 01:24 PM
how about pro . novoice and amaetur
or budget class

AE86 Dorifto
10-03-2006, 02:15 PM
How bout sponsored and non-sponsored class.

Tracy
10-03-2006, 02:36 PM
people with some skills, at nopi I noticed that hardly anyone makes enough power for some tire smoke while sliding. You watch the guys WINNING the D1 events, they are making shit tons of power and know how to control it. The guy that drives the D1 viper at tunerfest, THAT guy has car control and I am sure he makes 2-3 times more power than any drift car I have seen around here.

oh yeah, solo runs are boring, its only fun to watch when there is a probability that 2+ guys could smash into each other. Thats what makes it "exciting"

LOL. You have to take into consideration the size and akwardness of the space at NOPI. I was only getting into the top of second gear. For the most part the cars in D1 make the exact same hp that our 2 240's make ;) 360 whp. Tire smoke doesn't necessarily come from power alone. You also have to consider torque and tire compound. Silica based tires don't smoke as much as tires with more rubber content.

"That guy" at Tunerfest was Sam Hubinette, the winner of Formula D.....Not D1 (they are 2 different things). He has more torque than any other car out there. And "that guy" is a pro drifter, which is exactly what we are talking about here :) Maybe you misunderstood the point of the post.

Just so you know, Dan, Andy, Erin and Tracy are not professionals yet (we drifted at NOPI). I also wiuld like to say there was so much tire smoke when we were all tandem drifting that I had to stop because I couldn't see and it wasn't safe.

Also just so you know, all pro drifting at this point has 1 car at a time to begin with. That's how you decide who is safe to drift tandem and who is not. It's called qualifying :) If you only like watching the tandem drifting then you should probably only come for the main event. There are drifting enthusiast who enjoy watching the entire process, such as myself....but it's not for everyone.

I hope this clears some things up and I appreciate your input.

HiPSI
10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Just so you know, Dan, Andy, Erin and Tracy are not professionals yet

i am a professional day-old engine destroyer.

HiPSI
10-03-2006, 02:57 PM
people with some skills, at nopi I noticed that hardly anyone makes enough power for some tire smoke while sliding. You watch the guys WINNING the D1 events, they are making shit tons of power and know how to control it.

to add to what tracy said on this one, speeds play a vital role in the amount of tire smoke you make while drifting. the faster you are traveling the more wheel speed it takes to keep things sliding happily. more wheel speed means more heat/friction, which equates to more smoke. a 100mph entry 4th gear slide will pour smoke out the ass of the car where a 50mph 2nd gear slide won't. the demo lots are tiny compared to the pro level irwindale type events you speak of.

Tracy
10-03-2006, 03:12 PM

This is true!

CodyW
10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
people with some skills, at nopi I noticed that hardly anyone makes enough power for some tire smoke while sliding.

yea, you're exactly right.

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift1.jpg

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift2.jpg

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift3.jpg

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift4.jpg

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift5.jpg

StupidBikerBoy
10-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I would like to see the points be based solely on the performance (driver skill) of the drivers and not influenced by what the crowd or anyone else "thinks". IE letting them go another time just because the crowd or "judges" want them to.

I like competition that is won by the driver with the most skill (or least mistakes) and not by the driver that put on the best show.

Don't they use a system that actually tracks the cars angles and speed to assist in judging? If not they should, if so the points should be based solely on thier drift and not popularity.

Hope this makes sense, I'm half asleep. :crazy:

Tracy
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
yea, you're exactly right.

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift1.jpg

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift2.jpg

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift3.jpg

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift4.jpg

http://www.codywellons.com/photos/nopidrift5.jpg

I was going to do that but I was too lazy :)

Tracy
10-04-2006, 03:53 PM
I would like to see the points be based solely on the performance (driver skill) of the drivers and not influenced by what the crowd or anyone else "thinks". IE letting them go another time just because the crowd or "judges" want them to.

I like competition that is won by the driver with the most skill (or least mistakes) and not by the driver that put on the best show.

Don't they use a system that actually tracks the cars angles and speed to assist in judging? If not they should, if so the points should be based solely on thier drift and not popularity.

Hope this makes sense, I'm half asleep. :crazy:

def makes sense. They don't have anything that tracks angle right now as far as I know. I presume they could if they wanted to. It would probably be an expensive piece of electronics. That's the only problem I could see with it.

CodyW
10-04-2006, 04:05 PM
http://www.driftbox.com/images/viper-accel.jpg
(not the viper, the "driftbox")
http://www.driftbox.com/

apparently uses GPS devices to measure speed, angle, G's, and lots of other crap like that, and even "judges" your drift. nice idea, but i don't think every competitor would be able to go drop $700+ one one

§treet_§peed
10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
FWD DRIFTING FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!:D

StupidBikerBoy
10-05-2006, 02:30 AM
def makes sense. They don't have anything that tracks angle right now as far as I know. I presume they could if they wanted to. It would probably be an expensive piece of electronics. That's the only problem I could see with it.

I wouldn't think so, my poineer head unit does it. It tells the direction I'm pointing, speed, lateral acceleration (g's), forward acc. (g's), and much more. Im sure satellite (sp) technology could do it.

EDIT: I just saw CodyW's post.

AE86 Dorifto
10-05-2006, 06:18 AM
You guys ever heard of the drift box? Pull a google search on it. They use that as part of the judging in D1. The only thing the judges judge is how smooth the drift was and how much smoke there was.

Tracy
10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
You guys ever heard of the drift box? Pull a google search on it. They use that as part of the judging in D1. The only thing the judges judge is how smooth the drift was and how much smoke there was.

sweet! Thanks.

Kalifornia087
10-05-2006, 05:12 PM

Please tell me you didn't blow the LS1...

Tracy
10-05-2006, 05:24 PM

K then I will tell you that he kind of did....... :lmfao: I think it's ok tho.

Kalifornia087
10-05-2006, 05:30 PM
K then I will tell you that he kind of did....... :lmfao: I think it's ok tho.

Oh Gawd. Crazy Nissan Drivers!! That's why i drift an Rx7... Except someday it will havee an LS1 :D .

But i still can't believe it's already a bit toasted! I got to ride in that beast next event it's at...

-Austin

down_shift
10-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah he spun a bearing Sunday afternoon at Nopi Nats.

enormungus
10-05-2006, 11:09 PM
so when would all this happen? the points per event sounds good, especially when you cant make it to every event.

HiPSI
10-06-2006, 09:20 AM

i didn't blow the LS1... there, happy? you made a liar out of me.

Kalifornia087
10-06-2006, 10:38 AM
i didn't blow the LS1... there, happy? you made a liar out of me.

:lmfao: I can't believe it. You kids always destroying stuff!