PDA

View Full Version : HIDs

40th GT
09-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Someone told me that HID lights are illegal because they have no high beam function. If this is true, who is going to inspect my car for legal headlights? The emmisions inspector? :rolleyes:

Also, where did you guys buy your kits? I've seen some people get them for <$250.

JITB
09-23-2006, 11:04 PM
they are really illegal but noone cares.. and u will prob never get a ticket for them.

You shoudl get the kit from here:
http://www.hid-lights.com/

they have a ebay store, and they are located in lawrenceville so u can buy them on ebay and go pick them up at the warehouse
heres the ebay store
http://stores.ebay.com/hid-lights-co

got my ballast from them bought on ebay on a thursday picked up thursday afternoon.

TypeRPersonality
09-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Aim them low and no one should bother you.

sirkus
09-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Don't get 8K+... and aim them low... No one should mess with you.

But then again...
Anything over 8K is too damn dim. Can't see anything 20 feet infront of your car. :P

toph
09-26-2006, 09:36 PM
8k isn't too bad I had em on my s14...but a waste really...just get 4300 or 6k

like someone already said...just aim em low and don't worry about it...i never got stopped even though everyone bitched about how bright they were

teggy 2nr
09-29-2006, 08:32 AM
if they're illegal then i guess all the luxury cars nowadays are illegal as well? :thinking: lol yea just aim them low, no way is a cop going to test the temperature of you lights...thats just weird :screwy: .....

brads94accord
09-29-2006, 08:39 AM
if they're illegal then i guess all the luxury cars nowadays are illegal as well? :thinking: lol yea just aim them low, no way is a cop going to test the temperature of you lights...thats just weird :screwy: .....

luxury car headlights aren't illegal because their housings are designed to reflect HID light. normal halgen headlight reflectors are designed to reflect halogen light so when you put HID bulbs in them it causes glare and light shining in places you've never seen before.

but oh well, who cares. I'm gonna be getting some HID bulbs/balasts soon. :D

Brett
09-29-2006, 08:48 AM

Factory HIDs are legal and DOT approved. They are put in housings that are designed for them. I have 8k in my Fusion and have them aimming low, and I have never had issues, I get behind cops with them and never had any issues.

IndianStig
09-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Don't get 8K+... and aim them low... No one should mess with you.

But then again...
Anything over 8K is too damn dim. Can't see anything 20 feet infront of your car. :P

So how does this work? 10k is bighter then 8k right?

cause toph was saying get 4300 or 6000, but if you can't see, whats the fucking point??

what about just getting Sylvinna light bulbs??? i need replacement bulbs in my Prelude and they show a blue light on the website....what do you guys think?

40th GT
09-29-2006, 09:06 PM

cause toph was saying get 4300 or 6000, but if you can't see, whats the fucking point??

what about just getting Sylvinna light bulbs??? i need replacement bulbs in my Prelude and they show a blue light on the website....what do you guys think?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the lower the #, the brighter it is.
As far as color its like this: 4300 =yellow, 6000=white, 8000=blue, 9300=blueish purple, 12000=purple.

If you want white light with Sylvania bulbs, get the silverstars. The Cool Blues are the ones I have and they used to light up blue. The pos blue tint wore off very quickly and I ended up with yellow light again. LOL.

ATK_Designs
09-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the lower the #, the brighter it is.
As far as color its like this: 4300 =yellow, 6000=white, 8000=blue, 9300=blueish purple, 12000=purple.

If you want white light with Sylvania bulbs, get the silverstars. The Cool Blues are the ones I have and they used to light up blue. The pos blue tint wore off very quickly and I ended up with yellow light again. LOL.

Nope, you had the color wrong.

here's the example

http://www.buylighting.com/assets/images/autogen/a_color_temp02.gif

What you guys want is 4300K for best output or 5000K for lil whiter light. 6000K is for the bluish tint, but it won't be as bright. Anything higher will be ridiculously stupid.

For best HID output, you'd need to retrofit using OEM or OEM's quality part (Philips or Bosch at least).

For more info, go to www.hidplanet.com to learn more. They have more details info, explaination, faqs, etc. that are readily made for you to learn.

TypeRPersonality
09-30-2006, 01:06 AM

Yea, sylvania silverstar bulbs are good. I had them in my prelude and they were much brighter compared to the stock halogens.

JITB
09-30-2006, 01:15 AM
i did a comparison when i installed my hids

Silverstar on the left, and 6k hid on the right.

IndianStig
10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
i did a comparison when i installed my hids

Silverstar on the left, and 6k hid on the right.

AND? :lmfao:

JITB
10-04-2006, 05:12 PM
AND? :lmfao:

lol u got me forgot the picture..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/jitb37/fb86697e.jpg

Kevykev
10-04-2006, 05:53 PM
take the time to get an OEM kit and Retrofit it with projectors!