PDA

View Full Version : Misc Need some computer help

HyPer50
05-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Ok, I've been trying to run a TeamSpeak server, Ventrilo server, shit, any kind of server. I cant host Madden 2005, counter-strike games or anything. I can connect to servers fine, but when I try and host, nobody can connect.

I had a LinkSys router hooked up, thinking that was the problem, i unhooked it and now have a Motorola cable modem hooked directly to my computer. I have no firewalls up, no routers, nothing. My friend tryed to ping my IP and it timed out. I can ping him no problem. Something is blocking it and I can't figure it out. I called Charter (my isp) and he said everything on the connection side should be fine and allowing it. I tried calling Microsoft and Dell but they both charge for tech support (aside from the fact that all there tech support has been exported to India, so I can hardly understand them), and they basically tried to get me to play phone tag. If anyone has any suggestions, please spit em out. I have Windows XP SP1

Pher
05-25-2005, 12:01 AM
You arent giving them a 255.255.255 port are you?

AtifSajid
05-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Even though he is pinging you and it is tiiming out, have your tried an arp command on that ip to see if any kind of traffic is going through? It has to be something stoppping it. Norton firewall? Windows firewall? I know you said you turned all firewalls off..

Tell him to do a traceroute on your ip and see where the signal drops. That might tell you something.

civic95
05-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Do you have any VPN software on the system? Weird question I know, but I had the same problem on my PC. Took me weeks to figure out the software permanently changed my winsock keys in the registry when it was installed preventing anyone from pinging my IP. I had to export those 2 keys from another machine's registry, and import them into mine.

threehundred
05-25-2005, 09:01 AM
I called Charter (my isp) and he said everything on the connection side should be fine and allowing it.

I'd say double check with them that they will allow you to use that much bandwidth. Are you sure that you spoke with someone knowledgable in the topic?

HyPer50
05-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Even though he is pinging you and it is tiiming out, have your tried an arp command on that ip to see if any kind of traffic is going through? It has to be something stoppping it. Norton firewall? Windows firewall? I know you said you turned all firewalls off..

Tell him to do a traceroute on your ip and see where the signal drops. That might tell you something.

Ya, had my other friend do that yesterday. He said it was going all over, but then it is dropped right at my computer so he had me install SP2, disable the firewall and secrurity center, and do "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" in the cmd prompt. Not exactly sure what that last part does, but now I'm just waiting for one of my friends to come on and try it out to see if it worked.

AtifSajid
05-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Dropped right at you..then the problem is YOU! disable that firewall.

HyPer50
05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Dropped right at you..then the problem is YOU! disable that firewall.

I had all the firewalls that I'm aware of disabled, XP firewall, Zone alarm disabled, the router firewall disabled (when I had it hooked up). I now have uninstalled ZoneAlarm just to make sure.

4dmin
05-25-2005, 12:16 PM
i would put the router back on and setup DMZ use static ips behind the firewall of the router and then route the ports neccessary for hosting your game.

this is the same as if you wanted to run a web server from home you would route the traffic you want to what ever machine you want per the application your running.

chrisdavis
05-26-2005, 01:31 PM
did you try redownloading and installing the server software?

HyPer50
05-26-2005, 05:44 PM
did you try redownloading and installing the server software?

Ya. It's not one particular program. It's any type of server. Voice chat, video game, file sharing, I can't host any type of outgoing server.

4dmin
05-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Ya. It's not one particular program. It's any type of server. Voice chat, video game, file sharing, I can't host any type of outgoing server.have you ever set up a server before???