PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods smoke coming out of tail pipe

boostedb16
09-12-2006, 05:53 PM
i just replaced my rubber oil return line with a steel braided one and the guy added oil to my car and spilled some on top of my motor and it ran down into where my plugs are and into the turbo where the inake pipe goes, now my car smokes out of my exhaust. could oil have gotten past my plugs or suck thru my turbo and made this happen, i wiped the oil off the turbo and when i drove it back hope and checked there was a little more oil in the same spot. the car did not smoke at all before.

blackbelt
09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
How old is the turbo?

boostedb16
09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
has been on the car about 3 or 4 months, new before that

Spyder
09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
If the oil return line is smaller then the origional one it is or it is kinked or it just doesnt flow as well it's holding back to much oil and causing the seals to leak, this will if it hasnt already kill the turbo.. once the seals go it will smoke more.. then it will cause the bearings to break... then once they start to get shitty it will either start to wobble and eat up the fins or it will suddenly stop spinning all together.

Turbos have oil pressure on the top and empty because of gravity... which requires a large line to make sure it happens.

If it were just oil in the plug galleys it wouldn't be smoking out the tail pipe... it would instead be smoking in the engine bay where the oil got hot and vaporised... or it would cause the plugs to not fire if the oil was deep enough, which it likely isn't.

in the case there is oil on the manifold it will burn off in a short time, but again wont cause smoke out of the tail pipe.

Good luck with it.

boostedb16
09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
thanks

BTEC
09-13-2006, 02:15 PM
ID GUESS THE SS LINE IS NOT ON A EARLS FITTING AND THE GUY SMASHED IT OVER THE PIECE IN THE OIL PAN, FOLDED THE RUBBER BACK UP INSIDE THE HOES AND UR TURBO IS BACKING UP WITH OIL. IF UR LUCKY ITLL STOP SMOKING WHEN U CLEAR THE DRAIN LINE. IF UR NOT, REBUILD TIME.

Spyder
09-13-2006, 02:20 PM
ID GUESS THE SS LINE IS NOT ON A EARLS FITTING AND THE GUY SMASHED IT OVER THE PIECE IN THE OIL PAN, FOLDED THE RUBBER BACK UP INSIDE THE HOES AND UR TURBO IS BACKING UP WITH OIL. IF UR LUCKY ITLL STOP SMOKING WHEN U CLEAR THE DRAIN LINE. IF UR NOT, REBUILD TIME.
:goodjob:

boostedb16
09-13-2006, 04:20 PM
ok the guy called me and said he used a smaller size hose and he his replacing it tomorrow with the right size, i have talked to 5 or 6 shops that install turbos and they said that would do it so wish me luck and thanks for everyones help.

boostedb16
09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
just in case how much does it cost to rebuild a turbo.

boostedb16
09-14-2006, 04:05 PM
well i put the bigger line on and so far no smoke.

DSMer
09-14-2006, 10:39 PM
When I had a kink in my return line the feed line fitting right on the turbo would leak.

Spyder
09-15-2006, 12:26 AM
well i put the bigger line on and so far no smoke.

Yay!