PDA

View Full Version : Misc So I learned about sunstroke...

speedminded
09-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Might learn something new everyday but sunstroke wasn't on the agenda :tongue: After being on the lake most of yesterday all was good until i got back to a friends house. I already had a slightly sore throat but ignored it, got done eating, then started to shiver yet i was burning up. My first thought was sore throat, cold, etc...flu like symptons so best to wrap up in blankets and sweat it out. Two heavy blankets and a body against me later and i couldn't sweat...that's strange :dunno: By this time i'm delusional and heat is radiating from me like one of those infared fry warmer yet i was shivering cold :thinking: I've had pneumonia, flu, and food poisoning that would make anyone want to kill themselves yet didn't have a clue about this...

So I gave up on what it could be, wasn't aching anymore then the thrashing I got from extreme tubing behind a ski boat at 30mph...light headed and slightly delusional drove home and passed out trying not to pass out on the way. Yeah, not the brightest but gone all weekend and had to get back home. Of course during all this i didn't think about or have time to put aloe on any sunburn....so i woke up stuck to my sheets :eek:

Still out of it i go to work, browse the old google for sun poisoning and came across sun stroke. What do you know...the level i was out i should prolly be unconcious or dead at home hoping someone would miss me :tongue: Hey, at least i'll have a nice tan in a couple days :D

Sun stroke: a life threatening, whole body illness due to dehydration and loss of electrolytes which can begin with flu-like symptoms and which may or may not have a skin rash component.

Emergency situations: sun stroke
Be aware of the serious, life-threatening, whole body reactions to excessive heat and/or sun, commonly called "sun stroke, heat stroke, heat prostration". The skin may be affected as well, but these overall symptoms require urgent first aid and medical attention. They include: dehydration, hot dry skin - an absense of perspiration, headache, confusion and disorientation, rapid and raspy breathing, high internal body temperature eventually leading to unconsciousness and death if not quickly treated.

ISAtlanta300
09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
I've had it before, but mine was more like just shivers like I had a fever... I was also severly disoriented and it didn't help that I was also drunk.. which I guess dehydrated me even more.

My freaking ears were burnt to a crisp... not kidding !! Looked like dried wonton. Very nasty.

How does your skin feel ? Put some cooling gel and pop some pills and go to sleep.

speedminded
09-05-2006, 04:02 PM
I've had it before, but mine was more like just shivers like I had a fever... I was also severly disoriented and it didn't help that I was also drunk.. which I guess dehydrated me even more.

My freaking ears were burnt to a crisp... not kidding !! Looked like dried wonton. Very nasty.

How does your skin feel ? Put some cooling gel and pop some pills and go to sleep.skin is fine, barely burned and nothing that won't be tan in a day or two....i've had nearly a gallon of gatorade since lunch but my eyes are still burning because of dryness. Only one shitty drink at American Pie so alchohol wasn't a factor and i've been drinking fluids most of the weekend...still just got dehydrated i guess :dunno:

koukis14
09-07-2006, 06:06 PM
We had a bad heat wave up here and I got dehidrated at work. I felt about the same at the end of the day. Its was weird I would stop sweating and almost pass out, then drink water and feel ok, then stop sweating and feel dizzy again. It fucking sucks. I drink an assload of water now, no matter what the temp is.

The Golden Child
09-08-2006, 12:38 AM
i went out to the river and went fishing ..
my whole back is red and burning feeling all on my back ..
i got bit by bugs and bugs that would try to get under my skin ..
i think it was ticks or something ..
im still itching from these dam bugbites ..