PDA

View Full Version : p28 obd1 swap problem

jdm_rs2000
09-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I drive a 98 civic ex with B16A swap. REcently got skunk2 conv harness with skunk2 chipped p28 (new). My car runs amazing and idles fine..but CEL comes on.

When I turn my key in ignition position the CEL comes on for a sec, then goes off and stays off.. but when i start my engine..after like five secs it comes on and stays on.

This is right after i made the swap. Could this be a stored code? When I jump the service connector the CEL has the same behavior (comes on for one sec, turns off and stays off). And there's no way it can be Code 0 because this is a new ECU and all wires are good.

Before I ran a chipped p72 and had the code CYP sensor intermittent interruption...but i feel if i still had this code it would do the blink sequence when I jump the service connector.

Anyone have the same problem or know whats going on?

kaotickaozpunk
09-04-2006, 04:01 PM
it might be o2 problems...you check that out yet...

jdm_rs2000
09-04-2006, 04:04 PM
yea maybe. I'm thinking maybe its because this is an obd2 car and the obd1 ecu is looking for sensor that arent there or something. Maybe its because I have 2 o2 sensors (intake and exhaust) and obd1 only needs one??

*edit i unplugged intake o2 sensor and that made CEL come on and stay without engine running definitely sending a code so that must not be the solution for getting rid of this CEL

kaotickaozpunk
09-04-2006, 04:28 PM
hehehe i dont think so im pretty sure obd 1 needs two..if i believe so...

SLow_POke
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
yea maybe. I'm thinking maybe its because this is an obd2 car and the obd1 ecu is looking for sensor that arent there or something. Maybe its because I have 2 o2 sensors (intake and exhaust) and obd1 only needs one??

*edit i unplugged intake o2 sensor and that made CEL come on and stay without engine running definitely sending a code so that must not be the solution for getting rid of this CEL

there is no such thing Its called an intake air temp sensor;) . and i had a similar problem with my 92 civic when i jump the servie connector, i had to play with it for a few minutes jiggleling it around till it made good contact.

another thing you can do is have auto zone give you a check the stored CEL with a scanner.

jdm_rs2000
09-04-2006, 07:37 PM
bwahaha..slap me with the fucking noob stick

yea one in exhaust, one in catalytic converter.

but thanks for the tip bro.. I finally got the codes out.. Code 1 and Code 9. Pretty sure code 9 is because Im running a B16A with B16a2 distributor right now...but no clue whats up with Code 1

scttydb411
09-04-2006, 08:50 PM
code 1 is oxy sens. obd1 only has one. socketed/chipped ecu can disable that as long as it's tuned that way for driveability.

code 9 cylinder sensor. dist or bad harness. since you say you have a skunk2 harness i would try replacing it w/ a boomslang first. i've seem more issues w/ skunk2 and jdmshit conversion harness than i've seen good ones.

don't drive on the cel 9. that tells the firing order (ie: when cyl 1 is in tdc). motor will blow w/ that since it doesn't know where the position is and firing if you know what i mean.

if trying new harness doesn't cure the issue then ck the dist.

jdm_rs2000
09-04-2006, 09:57 PM
the skunk2 harness comes straight out of the warehouse bro.

So im thinking it must be the distributor. Before I got the obd1 conversion and was still running the chipped p72, I got the code p1381 (CYP sensor intermittent interruption) because I was running the GSR B16aSir2 dist. with a B16A motor and B16A2 97GSR Ecu (p72)..

So it must still be that i need to replace the distributor with a specifically B16A dist and not B16ASir2...and that should clear the Code 9 or if i run obd2 ecu the P1381 code.

Funny thing is, my car runs great with this Skunk2 chipped p28. And no ignition, timing, or idling probs. No misfires, sputtering or idle problems... ran amazing on my little test run

thanks man

scttydb411
09-05-2006, 09:06 AM
the skunk2 harness comes straight out of the warehouse bro.

just try it. i've had more customers come to me w/ bad skunk2 conversion harnesses right out of the box. it's the only thing they don't do well. i've seen 3 bad ones this past month from 3 customers that had them. all of them were brand new. last week i had a cust w/ one he pulled from the box and installed. upon cranking the car it had an iacv code. ran the normal diagnostic for iacv. went to the harness and saw the iacv wire had pushed from the plug. pushed it back in...a few min later it was throwing map. decided to look at harness and sure enough, the wire had come loose from the pin. it's getting to the point that if someone comes to me and has a cel and a skunk2 harness i start looking at that first and 90% of the time it's the harness.

the only reason i suggest replacing the harness is that i've seen so many of the skunk2 bad out of the box and go bad because pins pull out and wires come loose of the pins. just find a buddy that has a boomslang or something better than the skunk2 or jdmshit to try out. if your problem goes away then you know what to purchase. if it's still there, then you didn't waste $ and chase your tail and you know to try a new dist.