PDA

View Full Version : splash gaurd and CAI

AltimaCharlie
05-23-2005, 11:39 AM
so my splash guard is old, missing bolts and almost falling off. with my cold air intake that worries me. is there any way to make a custom splash guard to protect from water getting in the filter? maybe an idea on what material to use, or any idea you guys have come up with for your cars. i haven't been able to come up with much, i've had my fender off installin z3's and that has slowed me down.

B16a2 Civic
05-23-2005, 11:48 AM
try getting a bypass valve, if you have a 2 piece intake

AltimaCharlie
05-23-2005, 12:24 PM
it's 2 piece, what is a bypass valve? where do you get?

RandomGuy
05-23-2005, 12:35 PM
it's 2 piece, what is a bypass valve? where do you get?
it allows all the water to fall out even once its in the filter and lets only air go past it... they are all over ebay... they go between the two intake pipes.

B16a2 Civic
05-23-2005, 12:55 PM
yeah, its proper name is " Air Bypass Valve" like ol buddy said, all over ebay, some peopel on here are selling them, it really helps so you dont hydrolock yoru motor, hydrolocking it cold be tragic to your motor, someone peopl ehave hydrolocked it but it was repairable

AltimaCharlie
05-23-2005, 01:59 PM
thanks i will def. get one of those

Spyder
05-23-2005, 02:05 PM
so my splash guard is old, missing bolts and almost falling off. with my cold air intake that worries me. is there any way to make a custom splash guard to protect from water getting in the filter? maybe an idea on what material to use, or any idea you guys have come up with for your cars. i haven't been able to come up with much, i've had my fender off installin z3's and that has slowed me down.

buy some aluminum roof flashing from home depot and make a shield in about 5 min , there are mixed reviews about the bypass valves, personally i dont buy into them.

AltimaCharlie
05-23-2005, 02:37 PM
shit i thought i had a good solution. i already bought the bypass valve, but i am sure it won't hurt. so i def. should not just remove my fucked up splash guard and rely on the bypass? so with the alum, i just cut and bolt up?

B16a2 Civic
05-23-2005, 02:43 PM
shit i thought i had a good solution. i already bought the bypass valve, but i am sure it won't hurt. so i def. should not just remove my fucked up splash guard and rely on the bypass? so with the alum, i just cut and bolt up?

just like every aftermarket part, it wont work perfect ...but it'll defintly help your situation....

Spyder
05-23-2005, 02:45 PM

it takes alot of water to actually hydro lock a motor, but without getting into the classic do they work debate ill make it simple and saya bypass valves work when the intake is SUBMERGED and only then. It is possible to hydrolock a motor that has just sucked in alot of water. a bypass valve is added protection no doubt.

i would personally put the piece back in there and be done with it. as far as cutting and bolting it in yea thats basically it :)

AltimaCharlie
05-23-2005, 03:15 PM
thanks i got the bypass coming and i am going to try to make or repair the splashguard. that's kinda weird, it works when submerged, but not when water just gets in there. i mean submerged is a lot of water!

Spyder
05-23-2005, 03:21 PM
thanks i got the bypass coming and i am going to try to make or repair the splashguard. that's kinda weird, it works when submerged, but not when water just gets in there. i mean submerged is a lot of water!

youll see when you get it.. it takes alot of force to break it open, i know it doesnt seem like it but that is alot of suction to open that thing up.

AltimaCharlie
05-24-2005, 08:50 AM
i was ale to motify my old splashguard with some of that alum stuff. it's ok now, but i am going to use the bypass valve also, just in case i drive into a lake! or get in a big puddle.

honda5301
05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I wouldnt even worry about the splashguard. It wont prevent you from being hydrolocked. I did that a couple years ago. The water was like 3 feet high in a puddle i ran into in mississippi. If hte filter gets splashed its not that big a deal. JUst forget about it.

Spyder
05-24-2005, 12:22 PM
i was ale to motify my old splashguard with some of that alum stuff. it's ok now, but i am going to use the bypass valve also, just in case i drive into a lake! or get in a big puddle.

Good plan :)

Spyder
05-24-2005, 12:23 PM
The water was like 3 feet high in a puddle i ran into in mississippi.

hahahah no a bypass and splash guard wont help in a 3 foot deep puddle.

B16a2 Civic
05-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Lol, the bypass valve and alum guard will help with lil accidents and such....not if you accidentaly drive into the kiddie pool

honda5301
05-24-2005, 09:52 PM
yeah the town i live in(hattieburg) floods anytime it rains. I think its because south mississippi and the lousiana area are so close to sea level teh water has no where to go. So its not a good idea for cai. If your worried about hydrolock do what i did get a short ram intake. Too bad it took me 800 bucks to figure out that there not much difference in the intakes. Well not 800 bucks worth.

AltimaCharlie
05-25-2005, 10:14 AM
well what's funny is i installed my z3 fender{what started this whole fiasco,} ther is a gap right where the filter is. the body kit i have while cover it, but it isn't on there yet. so i got some bad ass air flow coming right up the filter. i raced a shitty blazer last night and my car was runnin better than ever. of course it just had a oil change also. oh yeah i ate up the blazer. it was old scholl primer low-rider, straight outta 1992. crooked tag on the tailgate and all.