PDA

View Full Version : Honda Brakes help

Jtultra
08-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Hey guys, a friend of mine needs help on his brakes. he has a 2001 honda accord and we did his brakes about 6 months ago with Hawk pads. Now they have begun to squeel like a mo fo. He called Honda to ask for advice and they said its because he didn't use honda brand pads. I'm a little skepticle about that. I think the rotors need to be re turned and the pads need to be resurfaced. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jtultra
09-01-2006, 01:06 AM
bump?

Nittanys1
09-01-2006, 01:09 AM
if they need to be shaved down you need to take it to a shop and have it done. check the pads and see how much is left on them...I put some hawk pads on my gfs car and one squeaks but i think that its something that got on the pad during instillation.

mp5o
09-01-2006, 02:22 AM
Hey guys, a friend of mine needs help on his brakes. he has a 2001 honda accord and we did his brakes about 6 months ago with Hawk pads. Now they have begun to squeel like a mo fo. He called Honda to ask for advice and they said its because he didn't use honda brand pads. I'm a little skepticle about that. I think the rotors need to be re turned and the pads need to be resurfaced. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Did you use anti sieze and the correct back plates(Not sure if thats the correct term for them..)? And yea, if you let Honda redo your brakes theres a very good chance that squeel will go away. ;)

Nittanys1
09-01-2006, 06:54 AM
hawk pads dont need the anti sieze.....or atleast the ones I purchased.

Outphase
09-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Hawk Pads are noisy, they will make noise, that doesn't mean they've gone bad, unless it sounds like something is rubbing like fingers on smooth piece of surface.

Jaimecbr900
09-01-2006, 10:50 AM
If they started to squeal now after 6 mos of use it is likely that it has more to do with the pads than anything else.

If he had a warped rotor, squeal would not be his symptom.

Has he checked how much pad he has left? It may be simply that he needs to replace his pads again.

Jtultra
09-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I checked them, he has like 80% pads left. I amade sure the metal plates were there and I loaded the backs with that anti squeel red crap

Jaimecbr900
09-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I checked them, he has like 80% pads left. I amade sure the metal plates were there and I loaded the backs with that anti squeel red crap

If they still squeal after that, the pads may just be "noisy" pads. :dunno:

Outphase
09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
yeah. like i said...

mp5o
09-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Did you make sure to put anti-seize on the "ears" of the pad also?

A rotor resurface and pad deglaze(+the correct application of anti-seize) will probably solve your problem but it'll end up costing almost as much as the oem brake job will be(Assuming all is done at your dealer).

Jtultra
09-01-2006, 09:23 PM
no I didn't put the anti sieze on the ears of the pad. I think I'm going to resurface the pads and rotors and what not and see if that works. i just think its wierd that the pads didn't make noise for such a long time and then its noisy as hell. Thanks for the info guys

§treet_§peed
09-01-2006, 10:18 PM
it's also because pads don't come with asbestas (sp)? now....

rollin_s2k
09-02-2006, 02:16 PM
what hawk pads did you use. The HP plus are loud and squeel sometimes, but if they squeel loud all the time and are unbearable then a good chance your rotors are worped. all i run is hawk and that shit happened to me. get your rotors turned and scuff the pad, break them in and see what happens. good luck