PDA

View Full Version : rusted sleeves, how can they be saved?

ATK_Designs
05-22-2005, 07:15 PM
I bought a bunch of stuffs from some guy a while ago. Today, I tried going through them and found a set of sleeves that are very rusted. SO I cleaned them with purple power. Some of the out layer rust came out, some are still stay on there. I tested by trying 2000 grits wet sand them a lil bit some can be removed, but don't want to do it since it's not the right way..

I think that a machine shop can do a rould "file" (hone and bore)to remove the rusted layer when they sleeves my block. These sleeves are good ones, so I don't wanna throw them away, but don't have the $$$ to do a complete rebuild now. So what can I do? I don't want to let it like this so it'll be rusted deeper??? Will the shop just hone and bore it without doing a sleeve job?

Thanks a lot.

phantom_hatch
05-24-2005, 08:45 PM
just take it to a machine shop and get it bored. your going to have to buy new pistons.make sure you bring the pistins to the machine shop with the block.

Vteckidd
05-25-2005, 07:57 PM
I bought a bunch of stuffs from some guy a while ago. Today, I tried going through them and found a set of sleeves that are very rusted. SO I cleaned them with purple power. Some of the out layer rust came out, some are still stay on there. I tested by trying 2000 grits wet sand them a lil bit some can be removed, but don't want to do it since it's not the right way..

I think that a machine shop can do a rould "file" (hone and bore)to remove the rusted layer when they sleeves my block. These sleeves are good ones, so I don't wanna throw them away, but don't have the $$$ to do a complete rebuild now. So what can I do? I don't want to let it like this so it'll be rusted deeper??? Will the shop just hone and bore it without doing a sleeve job?

Thanks a lot.
its just surface rust, its normal, it wont eat away the sleeves

93H22ACX
06-02-2005, 07:43 AM
try honing it first