PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods smoke coming out of exhaust

whoopass
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Just had my motor rebuilt, turbo also.Car runs great, but when I get into the boost and push the clutch in , a puff of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. It is not thick smoke. Is this normal? Also motor only has not even 300 miles on it. It was broke in on the dyno for 5 hours.

brads94accord
08-29-2006, 08:12 PM
could be that you have too much oil in the car.

back when i first turboed my accord i would have that problem, it turns out that i had too much oil in it and it wasn't allowing the oil to drain properly back into the pan and cause a little bit to come thru the seals of the turbo and of course into the exhuast.

whoopass
08-29-2006, 08:17 PM
hey cool I also have a 94 accord. what motor r u boosted on?

brads94accord
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
stock f22b2...been boosted for 20k miles...my motor has 166k miles on it...10psi daily driven.

whoopass
08-29-2006, 08:23 PM
hell yeah, I'm pushin 14psi on same motor. very happy with motor car is very fast , but 4 the money i spent i thought i woulg get more hp.its all good though.

99SI
08-30-2006, 09:39 AM
if it's a puff of white it could also be that you are a little too rich

3kgtdrvr
08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
too rich would be black, oil is blueish white, and coolant is white

whoopass
08-30-2006, 08:28 PM
its blueish white. I have had some people say that alot of turbo cars do that.

stealthrt
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
white normally means coolant, but when you are dealing with hot turbo's they will burn oil quikly enough to turn it white. I doubt with a new engine you are having a coolant problem inless it was due to the install.

My guess would be either your turbo seals or your oil return line.

Is the turbo new? Does the oil return line ever flatten out or go back up? Is oil getting past your intercooler (more than normal)?

1439/2000
08-31-2006, 01:09 PM
its blueish white. I have had some people say that alot of turbo cars do that.

Turbo cars dont just smoke oil because they have a turbo. Check for leaks at the turbo could be dropping oil into the downpipe.

Vteckidd
08-31-2006, 01:37 PM
It it smokes when you LIFT throttle it is:
Valve stem seals
Blow by from the oil control rings.

what Piston rings did you use, what was the ring gap?

stealthrt
08-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Turbo cars dont just smoke oil because they have a turbo. Check for leaks at the turbo could be dropping oil into the downpipe.

No.. but the smoke they produce is white as oppsed to a blueish white (at least when the oil comes in contact with the exhaust housing of the turbo)

It could also be the rings. I have heard of several people who smoked until 1500 miles becuase of the rings.

*edit* I thought you were quoting me for some reason.. :cry:

stealthrt
08-31-2006, 02:13 PM
It it smokes when you LIFT throttle it is:
Valve stem seals
Blow by from the oil control rings.

what Piston rings did you use, what was the ring gap?

valve stem seals will smoke slightly at idle, and let a *puff* of smoke out upon initial increase in rpms. They will not smoke at heavy boost when you lift the throttle (Inless they are so bad that there is heavy smoke pouring out at idle)

I would at least pull the cold pipe to check for excess oil. That would rule out the turbo seals/oil return line problem.

How is your PCV system setup? Are your PCV valves stock/in good shape?

Vteckidd
08-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Well under lift throttle there is massive vacuum being pullled so it will suck oil from whereever its "hanging out"

which can be valve stem seals.

usually turbo seals i see smoke on acceleration, not decel.

PCV is something else to look at , or a crimped drain/return line.

stealthrt
08-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Well under lift throttle there is massive vacuum being pullled so it will suck oil from whereever its "hanging out"

True, but if his VSS were in fact bad, you would think he would notice it at idle :???:

stealthrt
08-31-2006, 02:20 PM

If he did have a crimped oil return line, It would cause a backup of oil in the turbo which would force the turbo to spew oil past the turbo seals, which is part of what I was refering to. Crimped oil return line WOULD cause an excess oil in his IC piping.

If his oil feed line were crimped, I don't see how it could directly cause smoke.. It would just quickly destroy the turbo.

Vteckidd
08-31-2006, 02:22 PM
usually at idle, they smoke for a min when cold, then once the motor heats up the seals expand, the metal expands an it seals.

usually on a honda motor, any smoking related or consumption of oil is usually related to rings or turbo seals, FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

I lean towards rings because he said it was a fresh rebuilt motor. :)

stealthrt
08-31-2006, 02:28 PM
usually at idle, they smoke for a min when cold, then once the motor heats up the seals expand, the metal expands an it seals.

usually on a honda motor, any smoking related or consumption of oil is usually related to rings or turbo seals, FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

I truthfully don't know much about honda motors. I am just using more general information.

Even on fresh builds honda motors will smoke due to rings more than normal, or is this just a problem you think HE has? On my engine, the engine can see smoke on a fresh built engine due to rings, but not past 2k miles. (inless it was built incorrectly)

As far as the VSS, thats what I was talking about he should have noticed.

whoopass
09-03-2006, 08:58 PM
ok, I don't know which 2 reply 2 , but I don't have oil consumption going on, oil return line is ok, I will pull the cold side pipe loose and check that. Also turbo is completely rebuilt by a company that dose nothing but that TURBO AUTO out of nashville, TN. how do I tell if I need 2 pull it and send it back? Also motor only has about 250 miles on it.hey vteckidd maybe scott brooks can tell you more about the car since he tuned it 4 5hours. As far as the engine being put together right , it better be 4 what I payed. the piston I got came with rings, the pistons R weisco pistons.

whoopass
09-03-2006, 09:03 PM
like i already said the car only smokes in HEAVY HEAVY acceleration @ throttle lift, and the car runs FUCKIN AWESOME!!!!!!! hey u guy r great I'm very greatful for your help with this. THANK YOU!!!!

Vteckidd
09-03-2006, 09:06 PM
if its smoking under lift throttle an hard hard accelreation, its oil control rings.

ill put money on it.

Find out what your ring gap is, and i bet the oil control rings are not seating, or they are low tension.

Maybe your block is out of round

whoopass
09-03-2006, 09:11 PM
could the block being out of round be something i did? cause it was totally redone , honed and all.as far as ring gap i'll have to get that on tuesday.

SLow_POke
09-03-2006, 10:13 PM

i would lean more on thsi scenerio, i also dealt with bad vs seals but only on start ups . when it would smoke.

assuming your having to much built up pressure pushing it out of the PCV been sucked in teh intake. possible.i would say check your intake manifold for built up could be a good indication of you consuming oil thru there

also it was mention that you might need to brake in the rings. then jsut wait a few more hundred miles to let the rings set

-Ernie

SLow_POke
09-03-2006, 10:14 PM
if its smoking under lift throttle an hard hard accelreation, its oil control rings.

ill put money on it.

Find out what your ring gap is, and i bet the oil control rings are not seating, or they are low tension.

Maybe your block is out of round

could it also be that cross hatch wasnt right to let the rings set?

Vteckidd
09-03-2006, 10:42 PM
yes could be. Too rough of a hone can cause to much wear on the rings which means they dont seal.

but smoke like he is describing, usually its Oil Control rings or obliterated Valve Stem Seals.

but he says there is no oil consumption. If its smoking even while you beat the shit out of it, but the oil never goes down on the dipstick, then i wouldnt worry about it.

whoopass
09-04-2006, 01:05 AM
kool, I will give it another week 2 see what happens.If it keeps happening I will give you guys a call , I just wish I didn't live soooooo far away from you guys.

scttydb411
09-04-2006, 09:52 AM
is this derek? most of the smoke is/was coming after a hard pull letting off which leads me to believe stem seals, but also could be rings not seating all the way.

another thing i thought of is you last motor toasted itself and if it shot oil through your exhuast your mufflers/resonators may be saturated w/ oil as well causing some of this. it's a pretty restrictive exhuast anyway, so replacing it w/ something less restrictive will help w/ your power and maybe smoking if it's coming from the packing inside the muffler/resonator.

stealthrt
09-04-2006, 12:09 PM
yes could be. Too rough of a hone can cause to much wear on the rings which means they dont seal.

but smoke like he is describing, usually its Oil Control rings or obliterated Valve Stem Seals.

but he says there is no oil consumption. If its smoking even while you beat the shit out of it, but the oil never goes down on the dipstick, then i wouldnt worry about it.

For the most part you are correct about not worring about it. But there is one thing to be worried about. ANY oil caught in the combustion chamber will lower the octane of the fuel and cause pre-detonation (knock).

Can your car log knock? or timming for that matter? I would make sure to watch at least one of those.

scttydb411
09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
But there is one thing to be worried about. ANY oil caught in the combustion chamber will lower the octane of the fuel and cause pre-detonation (knock).

i think you may be on to something as it was knocking and i had to pull more timing than i felt necessary to keep knock to cure knock.

that's why i'm thinking rings could be an issue, but it didn't seem to smoke until the end of pulls.

stealthrt
09-04-2006, 10:46 PM
i think you may be on to something as it was knocking and i had to pull more timing than i felt necessary to keep knock to cure knock.

that's why i'm thinking rings could be an issue, but it didn't seem to smoke until the end of pulls.

If the rings are only slightly worn, there will be oil caught in the combustion chamber, but as you said, it is not much oil so it wont be visible during hard throttle.

Once you start to engine brake, the oil will actually be sucked off of the cylinder walls and burn up in the combstion chamber, becoming visible.

Sonny BonaHo
10-07-2006, 08:56 PM
mr. vteckid does that mean u can expect some leakage from rings on a fresh rebuild until they seat properly. j/w any info would be useful:goodjob: