PDA

View Full Version : Question, Please Help.

GeorgeWBush
08-26-2006, 01:24 PM
I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question, but I have been wondering ever since I saw i-vtec come out. What exactly is the difference between i-vtec and regular vtec? I am not really mechanically inclined and read something a while back, but didn't really grasp whether this was the replacement, new version, an additional version or what. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GeorgeWBush
08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Bump

BlkCD5
08-29-2006, 09:18 PM
i-vtec aka intelligent vtec relies on a computer to decide when to engage vtec, while the regular vtec has a preset rpm engagement point. Also its believed that i-vtec provides better fuel economy and low end power.it continuously varies the cam angle(to maximize overlap as much as 50° out from the crank timing) as well as second rocker engagement to suit the needs of it's current situation. Also i-vtec doesn't just rely on oil pressure to open an actuator.

§treet_§peed
08-29-2006, 09:56 PM
you are correct sir...when it first came out i watched this thing about it on t.v. where they took a new si and tore the motor completely apart and compared it to a tore apart reg v-tec motor...better for fuel economy and has more power at lower rpms....