PDA

View Full Version : cost of labor for sr20det swap

sidewaysS13
08-25-2006, 08:52 PM
What is the cost of labor to swap from the ka24 to the sr20det and matching trans into a s13?

HalfBaked
08-25-2006, 08:53 PM
www.batlground.com

Give them a call!

ka-t_Zenki
08-25-2006, 10:35 PM
from experience... 2500 before u get it tuned and dynoed.... thats why ive built 2 ka-t's.. each costing me less than 1100 to build

Ran
08-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Try E&E Motorsports. They got some new shophands that have done quite a few SR swaps.

1sick6
08-26-2006, 07:44 PM
from experience... 2500 before u get it tuned and dynoed.... thats why ive built 2 ka-t's.. each costing me less than 1100 to build

i wanna get a turbo on m ka too... what kinda set up did you have for less than 1100? and what kinda numbers was it putting down? i did a few searches and found that 1500 was average for a ka-t build

sebastianHoff
08-26-2006, 08:48 PM
you shouldnt pay more than $1000. its not that hard and doesnt take that long. my last swap took right at 6hrs.

ka-t_Zenki
08-27-2006, 12:10 AM
everthing on my car is custom... ter tech intercooler, piping, walboro fuel pump, no gas tank instead i got an 8 gallon fuel cell in the trunk, 91 cams, tuning with a SAFC and greddy boost controller, i was putting down about 260 @ 8 lbs.. mostly the reason it was cheap is because the parts are easy to find and put together.. i did it myself than took it to ter tech and had it tuned.. if ur ever in florida go to tertech.com best shop ive delt with

i wanna get a turbo on m ka too... what kinda set up did you have for less than 1100? and what kinda numbers was it putting down? i did a few searches and found that 1500 was average for a ka-t build

Outphase
08-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I'd say DIY, and then just do the fancy footwork at a shop if you can't do it. It will save you some money.

Outphase
08-27-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd say DIY, and then just do the fancy footwork at a shop if you can't do it. It will save you some money.

Okay
08-27-2006, 11:44 PM
don't go low balling with a ka-t...do it once, do it right. So many ppl asking why their KA blew up..what do you expect for doing it so cheap.

Motormouth75
08-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Try Top Hat Performance. They have done more SR's than I can count and they also do every other swap. I have one of there KA create motors in my car now.

TOPHATPERFORMANCE.com

Outphase
08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
DIY FTW!

Cool Cat Racing
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
It is certainly not a hard swap to do. I normall charge $1000 for an SR S13 swap. There are a lot of things you should do while the motor is out, like change some gaskets, water pump, things like that so do your research if your going to do it yourself. If you do part of the job and then get stuck and want to take it to a shop don't think the labor will be drastically less since a shop will have to figure out exactly what you have done and haven't which takes about as much time as doing it in the first place. Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but depending on how much has been done already I will not warranty anything once done unless I go back and do the stuff myself.

Krazykouki
08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I vouch for Top Hat as well

I prolly have more custom shit on my car than anybody, they have helped me everytime I have needed something. I have delt with E-E and dont have anything good to say about them.

EmotorsportsE
08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Thats just cause you're a bitch Chris, funny, you talk shit about Top Hat to me, just seems like you want stuff for free. I don't know shit about 240's either, I'm a big Daewoo fan, anyways check out our site, www.e-emotorsports.com, you can see our work, plus I build a mean Lagunza. :) I've rolled out over 20 swapped 240's this year alone, running a shop by myself, if you've done one, you've done them all. Just like Ran Kizama said, I have just recruited 2 new members of E&E, we will probably be changing the shops name here soon, but we now have more hands to move more than 3-4 swaps out of the shop a month. I you want, feel free to give me a call, 678-770-4516

E

Krazykouki
08-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Thats just cause you're a bitch Chris, funny, you talk shit about Top Hat to me, just seems like you want stuff for free. I don't know shit about 240's either, I'm a big Daewoo fan, anyways check out our site, www.e-emotorsports.com (http://www.e-emotorsports.com/), you can see our work, plus I build a mean Lagunza. :) I've rolled out over 20 swapped 240's this year alone, running a shop by myself, if you've done one, you've done them all. Just like Ran Kizama said, I have just recruited 2 new members of E&E, we will probably be changing the shops name here soon, but we now have more hands to move more than 3-4 swaps out of the shop a month. I you want, feel free (http://free/) to give me a call, 678-770-4516

E

:blah: :blah: :blah:
now...how long has it been since I talked to you??? a VERY long time...this is how he treats his customers...changing names because of :ninja: shady business...oh wait..its not even in your name is it eric...

neways...Top Hat has had some of the cleanest SR swaps...trust me, very nice

Outphase
08-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Top Hat is good, I've seen their work, but it's pricey, and you will have to pay for it.

Outphase
08-31-2006, 12:58 AM
but then again, FUCK EM ALL!!! DIY!

Krazykouki
08-31-2006, 01:00 AM
LMAO

Outphase
08-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Seriously, nothing like getting your hands dirty, and learning how the hell your car works from the inside out. It's worth it in the long run, because:

A) You won't be a ricer who sits in a parking lot all day talking about SR20 this and that and how badass your lippage is on your wheels, bragging about all those e-brake donut slides on Barrett Parkway that you've done.

B) People who don't know anything about cars, are just people who pay other people to do the dirty work for them.

C) Bragging rights. Brag that your car was swapped and built by you, not by some random shop that people won't know unless they've personally been in the area or have seen the stickers on a flyby ricer's car.

D) Only use shops for tunes, fabrication, or stuff that you just can't afford to do yourself. The engine swap can be done by yourself, just read up on it, and find friends who know and breathe engine swaps.

And Final, I quote:

if you've done one, you've done them all

Krazykouki
08-31-2006, 01:17 AM
you will save a hell of alot of money, time and hassle by doing it yourself...shops are great to use unless you come across the wrong one.

Ex: I paid alot of money to get something done...like 6 months went by and it never even got touched...then 10 months go by and finally got a refund...thats what bad shops do...

so all that time, effort and money that I used to get the stuff back from the shop, I could have painted..got new rims..and installed my motor swap and could have been driving it 9 months and 3 weeks before I dropped it off at the shop where it sat forever.

Outphase
08-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Exactly. If you do it yourself, you know exactly how long it will take. AS FAST AS YOU WORK!

skillzilla
08-31-2006, 10:49 AM
If you have access to a garage, do it yourself. If you dont have tools/jack/hoist/stand, etc, that can be a PITA so either find someone that does or take it to a shop. Ill swap it for you in 2 weeks for 750 ;)

brads94accord
08-31-2006, 11:23 AM
D) Only use shops for tunes, fabrication, or stuff that you just can't afford to do yourself. The engine swap can be done by yourself, just read up on it, and find friends who know and breathe engine swaps.

And Final, I quote:

thats my philosophy, i do everything i can do myself and leave the custom fabrication work and tuning to a shop.

The SR20 swap is one of the easiest swaps out there, it bolts right in, everything fits perfectly and the hardest part is the wiring which really isn't that hard because there is a plethora of wiring diagrams available online. All you need is a decent ratchet set some wrenches, and an engine hoist (which you can rent)

wantboost
08-31-2006, 12:13 PM
^^^ what he said here is a good this site is good

http://www.frsport.com/sr20det-swap-engine-harness-wiring-guide-sr20-p-665.html

turbosx©
08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
whats a sr20????

Tracy
08-31-2006, 03:11 PM
www.batlground.com
We like to call this..."so fresh and so clean" :)

http://batlground.com/gallery/albums/newdriftcar/normal_DSC04131.JPG

sebastianHoff
08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
If you have access to a garage, do it yourself. If you dont have tools/jack/hoist/stand, etc, that can be a PITA so either find someone that does or take it to a shop. Ill swap it for you in 2 weeks for 750 ;)

ill do it in 2 days for $500 and a case of beer.

top hat charges $1000 for the swap, they know there shit and you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesnt like their work. if i would pay anyone to do anything to my car it would be them, but that wont happen.

Outphase
08-31-2006, 07:03 PM
I like working hard labor such as cars. Lets me know my asian roots of working, sweat-shop style.

Motormouth75
08-31-2006, 08:07 PM
That is a clean swap but im just not a big fan of the engine bay color. And was that car a Auto before you did the 5-speed swap?

Krazykouki
08-31-2006, 08:25 PM
yea thats a very clean s14 sr swap...but that also cost alot of money to do one that clean

DrIFT240SX
09-01-2006, 07:08 AM
call TOP HAT performance ...

Tracy
09-01-2006, 11:44 AM
yea thats a very clean s14 sr swap...but that also cost alot of money to do one that clean

really? $800 is a lot? Hrmmmmm. oh and another $250 for the wiring harness. Wierd.

Tracy
09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
That is a clean swap but im just not a big fan of the engine bay color. And was that car a Auto before you did the 5-speed swap?

what does the engine bay color have to do with where a person goes for their swap??? We won't be picking the color he paints his engine bay :)Now I'm confused. And no it wasn't an auto.

Outphase
09-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah, sometimes it's luck of the draw, like you might get it painted pink if you aren't looking...haha

skillzilla
09-01-2006, 01:06 PM
ill do it in 2 days for $500 and a case of beer.

top hat charges $1000 for the swap, they know there shit and you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesnt like their work. if i would pay anyone to do anything to my car it would be them, but that wont happen.

Ill do it in one day, a WEEKDAY even, and a bottle of Boone's. Make that two bottles.

Krazykouki
09-01-2006, 01:23 PM
really? $800 is a lot? Hrmmmmm. oh and another $250 for the wiring harness. Wierd.

hmmmm...
Intake Manifold..
Turbo Manifold..
BOV..
Radiator..
Boost controller..
Strut tower brace..
Electric Fans..
Catch can..
NO WINDSHIELD WIPERS..
Intercooler Piping..
Engine Harness modification(assuming thats the 250)..
Chassis harness relocation..
Assuming it had ABS..was automatic car..
5 Speed conversion..
Black Top SR(cant tell if its notch back)..

that sounds more like around the range of 8,000+/- for that setup
(including labor and all parts I see incl. motor)

Not bashing your work at all, I think its clean as hell definate props...just stating that in order to get a swap that clean, its going to cost alot more. Someone that wants a cheap swap is not going to get a swap that is that clean...engine bay paint..harness changes maybe but not that clean. Takes alot of work

HalfBaked
09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
A swap means putting the motor in...

It doesn't mean what mods are on the car you fucking dumbass.

Krazykouki
09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Nismo200r: "yea thats a very clean s14 sr swap...but that also cost alot of money to do one that clean"

Tracy: "really? $800 is a lot? Hrmmmmm. oh and another $250 for the wiring harness. Wierd."

please enlighten me on how much it would cost to make an EXACT swap like the one posted with a stock SR???

HalfBaked
09-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Maybe you should have said "clean engine bay"

The swap is taking out the KA and putting the SR in you dumbfuck.

PSINXS
09-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Top HAt FTW

Krazykouki
09-01-2006, 02:16 PM
NO SHIT you fucking tool, and I was talking about CLEAN in general.

Tracy
09-01-2006, 02:25 PM
we're talking about the swap...not the parts that go on the swap here guys ;) The point is...check out how clean the engine bay is...that means look at how the wiring was done. Not the performance mods that were added. That has nothing to do with a clean swap. Better yet, I'll post up a closer to stock SR SWAP so we can be sure that we're all on the same page ;) and the SWAP is $800 + $250 to SPLICE the wiring harnesses together from the JDM engine and the STOCK engine. And you engine bay will still look this clean ;)

http://www.batlground.com/gallery/albums/michael240/normal_DSC00554.JPG

Krazykouki
09-01-2006, 02:52 PM
^ props again, that is a clean swap.

Outphase
09-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Cheaper and closer to home than Top Head

PSINXS
09-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Tracy's no puta! She keep her engines clean!

Theollister
09-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Batl ftw

SpecV_Scott
09-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I did my swap in a week, taking my time and not rushing at all. It's the 4th one I've done. I think I spent about $400 in parts/fluids, including the new clutch and a jdm radiator.

It looks a little cluttered, because it still retains ABS (as well as SUPER HICAS, a/c, etc)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/avatargsr/IM000502.jpg