PDA

View Full Version : Acetone as a fuel additive?

JoeyKazez
08-24-2006, 10:22 PM
I have read from multiple places online that people have been using Acetone as a fuel additive, and have gotten more MPG, smoother running, easier starts, and in rare cases slightly more power. Sounds like BS to me, anyone here tryed it? I think that if this stuff really worked so well the fuel companies would have it added to the fuel already.

ahmonrah
08-24-2006, 10:29 PM
no, but i heard tulene works good though...but according to one dude, it has to be mixed in perfectly.

ahmonrah
08-24-2006, 10:39 PM
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

HiPSI
08-24-2006, 10:53 PM
i guess it could help slightly as it would clean deposits in the fuel system. at the same time, have you ever seen what acetone does to rubber parts like fuel hoses and o-rings? no chance in hell i'd put it in my fuel tank.

JoeyKazez
08-25-2006, 07:05 AM
HiPSI - Thats true that acetone can screw up rubber pretty bad, but it would only be a very small amount passing by 3.5oz per 16 gallons.

cidgrad130
08-25-2006, 09:51 AM
There is no panecea for improving your fuel mileage. This one sounds like urban myth...if it sounds too good to be true, you can bet it is!

You can try an additive-type fuel injector cleaner (the ones that cost a few more bucks tend to have a higher percentage of the detergent solvents)...or go and have your fuel system professionally cleaned if you are concerned about performance/efficiancy loss.

Cheers!

§treet_§peed
08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
i've heard alot that acetone is bad for your vavles..but i've seen alot of people run it to up the octane rating so it's like mild racing gas..i just fill my car up with 93 octane then put a gallon of denatured alcohol in it and it boost the whole tank to a 106 octane rating..plus you can feelthe little bit of get up and go it gives it....tha bd thing i heard about acetone is that it eats shit up liike your tank and other shit... plus denatured alcohol won't eat shit up and it cleans out your entire fuel system....

Georgia_boy
08-25-2006, 11:04 AM
my dad has done it for years, on every vehicle he owns
and has not had any problems with it at all.

he's got it down as far as how much to add
for it to work properly.
all it does is clean the carbon deposits on your pistons
and cleans out your fuel system.

chrisdavis
08-25-2006, 12:10 PM
I have never read of anyone getting more than modest gains from it. I personally wouldn't bother with it

3kgtdrvr
08-26-2006, 04:01 PM
i dunno much about it but too much of any detergent stuff can eat away at the coating on the coil inside of the injectors and short them out. just my :2cents:

Khalifa247
08-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Most of the people that i know, including myself and my brother is run Xylene (Xyleno) paint thinner which has an octane rating of 117 , according to the alyeska fuel plant you can mix up to 45% Xylene with regular unleaded, i usually run a 12:1 ratio. Toulene works the same, except the octane rating is 114, so you will see less gain as far as knock resistance. in order to add lubrication however you should add MMO or i cup of synthetic ATF per 12 gallons so the harshness of the chemical doesnt damage seals or fuel system components.

KevinT707
08-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Where can I get some of this Xylene & Toulene & whats the cost on it? LMK please

sebastianHoff
08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
paint store, toulene is a paint thinner or remover or something. the toulene is pretty safe stuff, i ran it in my sr and it did quite well. you need to add it at the gas station right before you fill up so it will mix, else you'll end up with little bursts of power.

ahmonrah
08-28-2006, 11:32 PM
that's what i figured. about 3oz. of toulene per 16 gallons of gasoline.