PDA

View Full Version : FS: 2004 Dashboard Confessional Honda Civic Coupe EX - New - never driven

luckycat15
03-09-2005, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I won one of the customized 2004 Civic EX Coupes that Dashboard Confessional customized for last year's CivicTour. But because of the taxes, I can't afford to keep the car.

The car just arrived in Metro Atlanta from being customized in California a week or so ago. Never driven. Full Honda 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty. Much nicer than I thought it would be (I was thinking it might be a little overdone based on the pictures, but it actually looks incredibly cool in real life). Alpine in-dash DVD/GPS/ipod and speakers, lowered racing suspension, custom suede seats, custom mats, Fuzion wheels, has-to-be-seen-to-be-believed-paint-job. It is amazing.

It is currently on ebay at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4533956464

But you really have to see it in person to appreciate it. If anyone wants to check it out, Hennessy Honda is storing it in its showroom for me. Hennessy Honda is at Highway 92 and I-575 in Woodstock. From Atlanta, just take I-75 past Marietta to I-575. Highway 92 is the first exit past Bell Ferry Rd. Take a left at the light off the exit ramp and Hennessy is next to the Home Depot. This is a privately owned car, though, so you won't be responsible for sales tax or anything like that.

Thanks for looking! Let me know if you are interested, or just place a bid! My email address is [email protected].

P.S. They also sent me the stock 2004 EX rim/tires, CD player and speakers, muffler, and mats that they replaced with the upgraded parts. So if anyone is interested in any of those things, either, let me know.

Luckycat15
[email protected]

Nittanys1
03-09-2005, 02:57 AM
u really think your gonna get that much for that civic you gotta be kidding.....and aren't they gonna have a problem with you selling it!?

luckycat15
03-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Hi nittanys1,

The sweepstakes sponsor listed the retail value of the car at $42,000, but I have set the opening bid, with no reserve, at $24,999. There are obviously lots of upgrades, which are brand new, and professionally installed. The Civic itself is brand new, even though it is a 2004 model, because they did not award the prize until late last year. It was delivered from the factory and then they sent it to California for the upgrade installation and they just delivered it to me last month.

I know I'm not going to get anywhere near the original "retail value" for the car, but I have to pay federal and state income taxes, plus local sales tax on the car's value (which they say is $42,000), which is why I am trying to sell it in the first place. So having no other gauge, I thought that the $25k figure was pretty fair considering that this is a unique item, won in conjunction with a nationally sponsored and advertised event such as the Civic Tour, and has several upgrades worth several thousand dollars each.

But, again, I really have no idea what the car is worth. in the real world. If you think the opening bid figure is too high, do you have an alternate recommendation? What do you think the car is worth, considering the multiple upgrades and the new condition of the car (12 miles)? If the car doesn't sell this time around, I will probably lower the price and relist it, so please, help me figure out what a fair price would be so I can sell it and pay my taxes!

As far as your second question, I'm confused. Is *who* going to have a problem with my selling it? The sweepstakes sponsor? The band? Honda? It's technically my property and I can do whatever I want with it, so no, nobody is going to have an issue if I sell it...

luckycat15

civic95
03-09-2005, 07:34 AM
All the money, and resources they used and it came out like that? I hope the words on the back bumper "fight the good fight" are vinyl and can be peeled off.

Nittanys1
03-09-2005, 09:30 AM
damn thats alot you have to pay...thats gay how they set the value so high and then give it away and expect the person who one it to be able to afford a car payment....I had no idea they would list it at that much...i do understand that alot of the extra cost is from labor.....but what they have it at is crazy....I feel for you now....and after hearing that you got a good price going on.

BOOSTEDeg
03-09-2005, 11:09 AM
How about you sell it to someone in your family for $100 dollars and register it off that. It's just a civic, they can't add ALL the aftermarket shit onto taxes, it's not part of the original car value. Just to let you know, it's bullshit if they try to make you register it at $42k

Jimmy B
03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
how much are the taxes???? if they are resonable.. ill trade ya straight up for my car...

WayFastWhitey
03-10-2005, 08:25 AM
How about you sell it to someone in your family for $100 dollars and register it off that. It's just a civic, they can't add ALL the aftermarket shit onto taxes, it's not part of the original car value. Just to let you know, it's bullshit if they try to make you register it at $42k

i think technically he's paying taxes on it as a prize, not a veh, and if they list the prize value at 42k he has to pay taxes for that which is around 3k-3500

Brandon C
03-10-2005, 08:41 AM
I'll Give You 14k Right Now for It

Brandon C
03-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Was Just Joking But I would Pay That For Real Not Wanting to hurt your feeling But all That stuff Paint wise Decreased the Value of the Car

WayFastWhitey
03-10-2005, 10:51 AM
i see on the ebay ad where you put "per 1099 form" are you paying taxes on this thing as if it were income, rather than just a car?

HiPSI
03-10-2005, 10:59 AM
i see on the ebay ad where you put "per 1099 form" are you paying taxes on this thing as if it were income, rather than just a car?

yes, because it was a prize... aka income so the govt wants their cut. honestly there's no way in hell that car is worth 42,000 even with labor. the sad thing is if you were to pay the income tax on it as a prize you'd still have to pay ad valorem to register it too :(

SLOWR/T
03-10-2005, 12:29 PM
thats bullshit!! i would give the car back

Kevykev
03-10-2005, 01:40 PM
wow we have the winner here...

therealgoon9
03-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Man dashboard C was cool with me till this moment. No taste........

OG-Skinny
03-10-2005, 11:22 PM
I would of gotten cash value, instead of that car.

ruah_23
03-10-2005, 11:52 PM
U can get a better/faster car for 42k!
That's total BS if they claim the civic is 42k...No offense but it look like a POS.

luckycat15
03-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Ok, so, maybe posting here was not the best idea...

I do feel like I need to respond though:

1. Believe me, if cash was available as a substitute, I would have taken it in a second. Cash in lieu of the prize was not an option.

2. I know the car is not worth $42,000. As you will see, I am not asking for $42,000. However, that is what the sweepstakes sponsor says the ARV (retail value) is. And so, technically, that is what I'm supposed to pay taxes on.

3. In the United States, when you win a prize through a sweepstakes or a lottery, you must pay federal and state income taxes on the prize. That means *income* taxes, like 25% federal, and 6% state, for example (which is way more than $3500). If you win a car, you are further penalized because you also have to pay county sales tax (in my case, another 6%). If you win cash, it's easy... you just take the applicable percentage of the cash prize and you pay it with your annual tax form. If it's a non-cash prize, you are supposed to pay taxes on the *value* of the prize as if it were money that you earned at your job. There is often a difference between the sweepstakes' sponsors ARV (what they say the car is worth) and the FMV (Fair Market Value -- or what someone is actually willing to pay for the car). I am currently investigating the laws about declaring FMV on your tax form instead of ARV, but the fact is, if there is a discrepancy between what the sweepstakes sponsor reported to the IRS on your 1099 form (which required for any prize over $600), and the amount you declare on your tex return, it will probably be an audit flag.

4. I know the paint job is detriment, especially the writing on the back bumper. In fact, when I first won the car, I tried to get them to give me the car without the paint job. When they said no, I tried to get them to at least leave off the writing on the bumper. No dice. You take all or nothing. I thought the Alpine system and the other upgrades would be appealing enough that someone, especially a diehard fan of the band, would still want the car even though the paint job is not what I would have chosen (apparently I was mistaken).

5. I don't take offense at people's opinions of the car because I didn't design the car; the band did. Personally, I think this car looks better than the new one that they are giving away for the 2005 CivicTour with Maroon 5, but what people like is subjective. True, the design is not what I would have chosen, but if you are really a diehard fan of this band, you might want the car because of its uniqueness and rarity as the ultimate band memorabilia.

Chances are, if it doesn't sell, I will lower the opening bid and lower the Buy It Now price, but even with the paint job that everyone seems to hate, it's still a new Civic with legitimate upgrades worth about $7000. Therefore, I'm not going to sell the car for the same price as a 2004 stock Civic EX ($14K). $20,000 maybe. But not $14,000.

Thanks everyone.

Nittanys1
03-11-2005, 12:42 AM
yeah no one no here has the money.......for that car......LMAO

A.P. Photography
03-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Good luck with getting rid of it, honestly I would have sent it back to them to avoid having to pay so much for the car in taxes. Best of luck to you.

Code3
03-16-2005, 04:23 PM
ill pay the taxes, and give you $2,000 cash, all you have to do is sign it over to me.

Kevykev
03-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Damn that car is a Rolling Billboard to the fifth power

ebkmike
03-16-2005, 08:42 PM
wont you trade to honda dealship for an old civic coupe or something plus cash? if you talk to them right you might get a hella of a deal..

lilslowcivic
03-18-2005, 02:02 PM
man that's hilarious.. valued at 42 grand? it's a pos civic for godsakes.. hope you sell it.. goodluck.

Julio
03-19-2005, 10:32 AM
no matter how you look at it you can still make money out of this car.
yeah is only a civic but how many noobs out there would die over it go run to mommy or daddy and get them to buy it.
Yeah Dude, try to sell it for 24K im sure you will find a jackass to buy it, Ive seen worst cars go for around that price range.

patience.

Negrodamus
03-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Kill all that bullshit vinyl and anything that says dashboard confessional and you can sell that p.o.s in a heartbeat

btw..you interested in selling thoes alpine speakers?????