PDA

View Full Version : my motor is gone :(

Doppelgänger
08-23-2006, 12:51 PM
So my car suffered a horrid blown motor last year that eventually ended up causing a engine bay fire. That was last november. I finally got the car back from getting the motor replaced at the end of July. What a craptastic time that was.

So, about 2 weeks ago, the DFMM for the JRSC took a dump on me. Something went wrong and it decided to run the injectors wide open. Luckily i was about 3 mi from my hosue and got the car home safely. Diagnosed it as the fuel box adn removed it. Car ran fine, as long as i stayed out of boost when i made sure i did (not very hard at higher rpm's). Well, about a week ago the car was runnign richer and richer upon start up and i had a CEL for a P1170 (mfg. air fuel control device or something like that)aka bad O2 sensor. So i bought a O2 and installed it. Crank up the car....and now it sounds like a WRX again.Great.

Pull the sparkplugs and cyl#4 is covered in oil, look in the cyl and see oil on top of the piston. Checked the dipstick and no contamination in the oil... so its not a headgasket. I had been so carefuul with this motor too, checking the oil everytime i put gas in, kept the BTC at full retard, didnt bang on the car until it was nice and warmed up..sheesh. I did notice that when i got the car back the vaccum at idle wasn't right, it was reading just under 10 instead of the normal 20. We had checked all over for ANY vaccum leaks but there were none, im suspecting that the timing was set too far back (so i was todl that too much retard when setting the t-belt would cause a low vaccum reading at idle)

So yeah, i dont know what the &^%&*% happened. Runnign fine one day, replace a O2 and BLAM! oil in the piston. The block i bough to replace the old motor had sat for over a year, but the shop (i assume) who put the block in, properly primed the newer block after it had sat for so long.

I think she is cursed....

kfzemx3
08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Man that is the SUCK!!!!

So what are you gonna do now? Rebuild or get another motor?

Cool Cat Racing
08-24-2006, 08:53 AM
13bREW baby!!!FTW

Doppelgänger
08-24-2006, 11:16 AM
well... it seems all the car needed was an Italian Tune-up !!!

I got a new DFMM today in the mail and decided to put it on the car and see if i could now go back into boost even on a blown motor... it could still get me around to a job or soemthing, ya know?

So i put the DFMM and new pressure switch on and let the car warm up and take her out. Well, i pull out of my neighborhood and the car is still very much down on power, misfiring and blowing smoke... so i decide to boost. I saw the boost gauge spike to 8psi, with the car still sounding like a WRX and blowing smoke like mad..and popping flames when i let off the throttle. Damn. Oh well. Well maybe some Lucas Oil stabilizer migh thelp?? There was a ticking noise upon cold start up...which was not nice to hear.

So i go to autozone and get some Lucas and run over to the gas station and fill up. I make it about 200yds and the car popps a couple times and takes off on me. I let off the gas and theres no more misfire!!!!! I roll into the throttle again and it picks up liek a scalded dog...wtf??? I didnt even get a chane to put the lucas in! :D Well i drove the car about 10 more miles and it idles fine and runs great..

I always knew the Miatas were meant for boost... i took the boost away and she got mad and protested lol. *crosses fingers she keeps running good*

Tripper... how are you feeling about a 302 swap in the Miata???

Cool Cat GTR
08-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Mike, 302 sounds great to me. I personally haven't had anything but great feelings about my Fords. Obviously, Ryan would disagree but you know he's a ricer at heart. j/k Sucks about your car. I know you are having to watch your expenses right now but I was telling the guys the other night that if my motor shits on me, I'm going full tilt and putting a stroked FM motor in mine. (Approx. 11K) We're all pushing the hell out of our cars so it's just a matter of time before more motors have issues. I've got 100K on mine and never had the head off. It's due to take a shit anytime now.

Doppelgänger
08-24-2006, 02:57 PM
i've always wanted to do a FM Stroker with 11.5:1 comp and low boost...mmmmmm.

I dont think Thunder is going to crap out anytime soon. I abused the hell out of my 96 and NEVER had a problem other then breaking a intake camshaft... but nothing other then that..ever. Actually, i had a CEL and when i put the JRSC on it went away lol.

Tripper- did Ryan forward/tell you the message i sent him about my situation? Thank god the car is running better, im actually sending out resumes as i sit here.

Cool Cat GTR
08-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Mike, yes I'm up to date. I know you'll get everything straight as soon as you can. Good luck with your search.

NoPainT
08-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Damn dude... Just when you get the car back... :(

Cool Cat Racing
08-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Obviously someone didn't read very much past the first sentences. As for a 302, thats a horrible idea. Take a great running and smooth motor out and cram a flaming pile of shit into.

Cool Cat GTR
08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Obviously someone didn't read very much past the first sentences. As for a 302, thats a horrible idea. Take a great running and smooth motor out and cram a flaming pile of shit into.

^Fucking ricer

StupidBikerBoy
08-26-2006, 10:35 PM
lmao

Five*Star*
08-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Renesis Rotary FTW Mike!!

glad your car is running ok man! i was just hanging out with Ruby this weekend and he was talking about you. I never knew you worked at rick case too.....small world indeed!

BTW, my friend has a really clean Back FD for sale. 65K orig. miles....cherry. In case you know someone.

Doppelgänger
08-28-2006, 12:28 PM
unfortunatly not :( Wish i did

Yeah Rick Case was waaaay back in the day :D

Paul from MazMart was looking to do the Renesis, it seemed like quite a PITA though, but a Renesis in a NC miata (06+) looks like it would work....i looked at the subframes side by side and it wouldnt be hard :D but i dont have a NC :(

Whats Ruby been up to?