PDA

View Full Version : Misc Shingles

candy2082002
08-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Has anyone ever had Shingles? What are some good ways to deal with the pain and itching and how long did it last?

8bangin302
08-21-2006, 02:02 PM
oh man i feel bad for u really i do my uncle had them and they look bad...hes a cop and wearing the bullet proof vest made it worse cause agitating it makes it worse..but they say scratching makes it worse 2..cant really tell u what 2 do for it..just ask ur doctor..

GsrTurbo320
08-21-2006, 02:03 PM
they last long ass time..my cousin got em like 3+ weeks ago..and still feeling the effect of it on the eye..( usually get it when ur older..not teens more likely older adults and u get it usually if u havent had the chicken pox yet )

candy2082002
08-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Hulud
08-21-2006, 05:04 PM
i have had them, and i work in a pharmacy.

you will need to goto a doctor and they will prescribe you an anti-viral medication. usually valtrex, because it is a virus in your nervous system. and they will usually give you a pain killer, a million times better than anything OTC. i got darvocet and i have seen others get lortab, so it just depends on your doc

aaron 27
08-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know how you get them do you have to be around someone that got it?

The Ninja
08-21-2006, 06:07 PM
wtf is shingles? i googled it and i got like..roofs and shit

Hulud
08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know how you get them do you have to be around someone that got it?
no, you get them from a flare up from chicken pox or can be caused from stress. you cannot get them unless you have had chicken pox

HyPer50
08-21-2006, 07:14 PM
wtf is shingles? i googled it and i got like..roofs and shit

it's a bad rash/bumps in a concentrated area and IT SUCKS! lol... I'm the one who has em, Candy/Kristi was just being a good g/f and worrying about me. Went to the doctor today and got some medicine for it, they gave me some percocet and some famvir or somethin' like that... hopefully it'll start atleast not hurting as much soon so i can get back to work. The worst part is that the rash is supposed to last like 2-3 weeks, and the nerve pain is supposed to last a month = / sucks lol

Hulud
08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Went to the doctor today and got some medicine for it, they gave me some percocet and some famvir or somethin' like that...
percocet? damn wish i went to your doc, and famvir is in the same class as valtrex, works on herpes (which shingles is a form of herpes)

hopefully it'll start atleast not hurting as much soon so i can get back to work. The worst part is that the rash is supposed to last like 2-3 weeks, and the nerve pain is supposed to last a month = / sucks lol
if the nerve pain lasts a month, i feel for you. it lasted about 3 days for me

HyPer50
08-21-2006, 07:25 PM
if the nerve pain lasts a month, i feel for you. it lasted about 3 days for me

Really? Well hopefully now that I"m takin' the medicine it'll clear up sooner then, cause really dont feel like hurtin' for weeks lol. I've had it since Wednesday, finally had to go to the doctor tho. Sucks tho cause I dont get insurance til September, so I had to pay totally outta pocket for all this, $111 for the doctor visit, and $250 for the 2 prescriptions.

candy2082002
08-21-2006, 07:35 PM
it's a bad rash/bumps in a concentrated area and IT SUCKS! lol... I'm the one who has em, Candy/Kristi was just being a good g/f and worrying about me. Went to the doctor today and got some medicine for it, they gave me some percocet and some famvir or somethin' like that... hopefully it'll start atleast not hurting as much soon so i can get back to work. The worst part is that the rash is supposed to last like 2-3 weeks, and the nerve pain is supposed to last a month = / sucks lol

YEP thats me a good g/f :D :goodjob:

Hulud
08-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Really? Well hopefully now that I"m takin' the medicine it'll clear up sooner then, cause really dont feel like hurtin' for weeks lol. I've had it since Wednesday, finally had to go to the doctor tho. Sucks tho cause I dont get insurance til September, so I had to pay totally outta pocket for all this, $111 for the doctor visit, and $250 for the 2 prescriptions.
you got generic percocet right?

HyPer50
08-21-2006, 10:16 PM
you got generic percocet right?

ya, it says Oxycodone/Apap 5mg -325mg. not sure what all that means, but they said it's the generic. It was only like $14. The expensive part was the Famvir or whatever, she said they dont have a generic for that, so it was $217 for 21 pills.

99SI
08-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I had them about a month ago. It was horrible pain. All around my waistline on my right side. I went to my doctor and he gave me a prescription for Valtrex 1g, I took three a day for about a week and by day 3 or 4 the pain was gone and it was healing nicely. Everyone I have ever talked to that had them said it took weeks and weeks but with the new medications out now for antiherpetic it is very easily taken care of.

99SI
08-22-2006, 10:54 AM
no, you get them from a flare up from chicken pox or can be caused from stress. you cannot get them unless you have had chicken pox
yep, herpes zostra, it is the same virus as chicken pox, the virus after you've had the chicken pox is stored in the spine. They still don't know what causes the flare ups but it follows one particular nerve path, that is why with shingles they are usually only on one side or the other. Usually they are around the trunk but can come up on the head/neck, but still only one one side. I just had the shit so I tried to learn as much as I could about it. It does hurt bad tho :cry:

HyPer50
08-22-2006, 11:22 AM
I had them about a month ago. It was horrible pain. All around my waistline on my right side. I went to my doctor and he gave me a prescription for Valtrex 1g, I took three a day for about a week and by day 3 or 4 the pain was gone and it was healing nicely. Everyone I have ever talked to that had them said it took weeks and weeks but with the new medications out now for antiherpetic it is very easily taken care of.

Well, I'm glad to hear that, hopefully I have the same luck with Famvir, cause I really dont want to be in pain for weeks lol... I had a helluva time falling asleep last night. Thanks for the incite.

TeeJay
08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
looks painful

http://www.guntherhomeinspections.com/images/ft_roof_shingles.jpg

PRiMAdonna
08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
looks painful

http://www.guntherhomeinspections.com/images/ft_roof_shingles.jpg

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

xxbowiexx
08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
i have had them, and i work in a pharmacy.

you will need to goto a doctor and they will prescribe you an anti-viral medication. usually valtrex, because it is a virus in your nervous system. and they will usually give you a pain killer, a million times better than anything OTC. i got darvocet and i have seen others get lortab, so it just depends on your doc

great advice.

candy2082002
08-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah he went to the doctor and he feels kinda better thank goodness:bump: