PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifters

TypeRPersonality
08-18-2006, 01:29 PM
There's B&M's, DC Sports', Skunk2's, ebay ones. Does it make any difference? Should i spend upwards of 80 dollars on a name brand rather than 15 or so on ebay?

civicracer5000
08-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I bought mine on ebay and is great definately

dwnsthGABOY
08-18-2006, 02:53 PM
you get what u pay for. Cheap shit tends to break under pressure.

thinkskater
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
you get what u pay for. Cheap shit tends to break under pressure.

yes ebay shit broke in my hand cut the shit outta my hand blood all over my cloth seats .... yea , not to mention it was still tall but the shift was short. I would suggest the skunk2 because u will not regret i sware. ask any one who has one . they are amazing.

devin
08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
i got skunk2 short shifter, def. wouldnt go ebay route for anything on my car, unless wheels or something like that.

IntegraXTR
08-18-2006, 06:00 PM
if you can drive, you don't need a short shifter period. But to those that prefer one I would go with the theory "you get what you pay for." Out of that list I would say B&M because you probably don't want to spend anymore than that which is about $50 at nopi, Dual bend or counter weight. Skunk2 also offers these, the difference? dual bend is similar to factory (kinda shape like a S) where as counter weight is simply straight with no bends. I have used numorious of short shifters and in the end, factory does just fine. Also, short shifter doesn't mean that the shifter you're buying is going to be short as in height, it just means that the "throw" will be shorten, but then again some short shifters come short in height, but if that is what you was looking for then just cut your stock shifter and get a tap and rethread it.

green91
08-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Keep your stock shifter.

I ran a cheapo ebay shift for about a year. It shortened the throw a little and made the gears feel a little tigher.. but then amazingly my gears started grinding.. the short shifters are very rough on your syncros because they decrease the amount of time they get to mesh before changing ..

Then i was leaving a drug test and the motherfucker broke off at the ball, leaving me with no shifter.. ended up having to get a friend to find a shifter for me, bring me a jack and change shifters in the chic fil a parking lot. sucked ass. wasnt worth the short throw or the $25 i spent on it.

Fuck short shifters.

Hulud
08-18-2006, 06:54 PM
if you want to get one, wait for forbidden to come out with one for your year prelude

forbidden>all others for predludes

ranj
08-18-2006, 06:55 PM
If ur hellbent on getting one, get a good one that will last u and that u will enjoy, not an ebay one.

TypeRPersonality
08-19-2006, 01:49 AM
i don't mind spending the money, i'll most likely get a skunk2 one. just thought there wasnt much difference since theyre all metal sticks. Thanks for the input ppl.

aaronfelipe
08-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Welcome.

§treet_§peed
08-19-2006, 07:22 AM
i got a ebay JDM short thorw..:D ubber JDM TyTe indeed..naw man mine ahsn't broke and it can hold up to the pressure just ride with me one time when i slame gears...i broke one of my friends Skunk 2 shifter last year..:D cause when i get on it i slame the hell outta gears.. the ebay one that i got has held up for me so if it can hold up from over a years worth of beattings form me then it's a good shifter..lol..so not all ebay stuff is bad...i only paid like 2 bucks with shipping and insurance included for mine..:D

TypeRPersonality
08-19-2006, 08:54 AM
what's with adding JDM TyTe into all of your posts? lol

§treet_§peed
08-19-2006, 09:16 AM
because..i'm so JDM that i have too...lol..:D honestly..i don't really know anymore..it's jsut something that i started doing one day as a joke and it kinda stuck..lol alot of peeps know me for saying that...

Turbodude06
08-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I've had two friends break ebay shifters but I also have friends that have had them for a long time and nothing went wrong at all. So I guess its unknown but I'm running my stock shifter cause like GREEN91 said my syncro's started not grinding but, it started getting harder to get in gear just in normal driving. I can shift just as fast with a stock shifter too....

§treet_§peed
08-19-2006, 05:52 PM
i used to shift in 1/3 of a second with the high tall long ass stock shifter that comes in civics but with the short throw i do it even faster..to fast sometimes.....:D