PDA

View Full Version : Government: No billboards in space

Brett
05-19-2005, 08:59 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government does not want billboards in space.

The Federal Aviation Administration proposed on Thursday to amend its regulations to ensure that it can enforce a law that prohibits "obtrusive" advertising in zero gravity.

"Objects placed in orbit, if large enough, could be seen by people around the world for long periods of time," the FAA said in a regulatory filing.

Currently, the FAA lacks the authority to enforce the existing law.

For instance, outsized billboards deployed by a space company into low Earth orbit could appear as large as the moon and be seen without a telescope, the FAA said. Big and bright advertisements might hinder astronomers.

"Large advertisements could destroy the darkness of the night sky," regulators said.

sk8phaze
05-19-2005, 09:14 PM
What will they think of next...

Brett
05-19-2005, 09:17 PM
I personally wouldnt want some big ass Coca_Cola sign in the night sky to look at...lol

5thgcelica
05-19-2005, 09:21 PM
^^ word. id be PISSED. if they allowed that.

Brett
05-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Kinda good that they are banning something like this now before we have to think about worrying about that shit

RandomGuy
05-19-2005, 09:37 PM
wtf?... what does the US rule the universe now? Wtf Who gave them jurisdiction over space. ! wtf am i the only 1 who thinks this is BS... (if its true that is)

Brett
05-19-2005, 09:39 PM
I got it off CNN's website

And yeah we have the right if its over or country....... And besides that, would you like the night and day sky filled with billboards all over the place? Someone has got to make sure that shit doesnt happen over our country, in the air or space

Julio
05-19-2005, 10:24 PM
damn, I guess ill get that refund for the IMPORTATLANTA.COM one I was getting over Russia.

The Yousef
05-19-2005, 10:43 PM
damn, I guess ill get that refund for the IMPORTATLANTA.COM one I was getting over Russia.
:lmfao:

was it going to say "import atlanta ownz you!"....lol

RandomGuy
05-19-2005, 10:58 PM
I got it off CNN's website

And yeah we have the right if its over or country....... And besides that, would you like the night and day sky filled with billboards all over the place? Someone has got to make sure that shit doesnt happen over our country, in the air or space

yeah its a good idea and all, but who gives the US the authority to make such laws.
It said nothing about the air and space above the US... if that were the case then the US should have the right, but do you really think it's just for the US to control the whole "space" or atmospheres and whatnot...
see this situation I can care less, but its just another example of how the US runs shit. I'm not mad or nothing I'm just like WTF... still love US and all. Just that our country thinks its the "Rick James" of the universe.

NzProjeKt
05-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Brett you should try to get them to display some of your church signs up there...

Brett
05-20-2005, 06:54 AM
^^^ :lmfao:

speedminded
05-20-2005, 07:17 AM
...interesting, can't really say much about what goes on in international waters but we have jurisdiction over space? Who again was first out there?

civic95
05-20-2005, 07:24 AM
No billboards in space, but we are trying to get weapons that can be launched from space up there.

5thgcelica
05-20-2005, 09:22 AM
well, in this case with the signs or whatever. i couldnt care if it was freakin iraq making a law saying no signs in space. id thank them and probably send flowers. i dont want a big ass floating sign in space. i like the stars (the few that can be seen) as they are.

5thgcelica
05-20-2005, 09:23 AM
No billboards in space, but we are trying to get weapons that can be launched from space up there.

as for the weapon thing. isnt it more of a deffense thing? i think thats what i read. i could be wrong though. id definitely be for a defense system.

NzProjeKt
05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
defense ?? from who the martians ??

Brett
05-20-2005, 09:47 AM
No, Ever hear of missles that are designed to shoot down satelites? Any weapons we put in space will prevent other countries from shooting down our military and communication satelites, If we had those shot down, we would be blinded and be a VERY easy target.

soul
05-20-2005, 09:50 AM
yeah ^^^
plus we already have weapons in space

NzProjeKt
05-20-2005, 09:53 AM
aahh ok.. damn I guess I should have went to the NASA traing camp as a kid..

Brett
05-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I didnt go to NASA...lol. But if you have a sense of knowing what we have in orbit around this planet to protect you can see why a space defense is needed :)