PDA

View Full Version : solid or hollow rear sway??? what's the difference?

happyhooder
08-15-2006, 02:39 PM
hey i'm going to purchase a rear sway bar for my 4wd matrix... i found out there are 2 kind of bars, hollow and solid... is there a difference? both are 22mm thick... either way both will be an improvement from the stock 18mm...

§treet_§peed
08-15-2006, 05:03 PM
imo way even try to make a matirx fast...but that'sme..also i would say solid..but ya never know....

Bishop
08-15-2006, 10:40 PM
i believe solid would be strong but easier to flex. Hollow would not flex as easily but can crack. Dont qoute me on that though

calmnothing
08-15-2006, 10:46 PM
The solid one is going to be more effective at reducing bodyroll. Even though they are both 22mm the hollow one is going to have less stiffness.

happyhooder
08-15-2006, 11:01 PM
yeah i thought if it's solid it's has a less chance to flex and the weak point won't be a weak compare to hollow one...

this is a solid rear sway i'm talking about...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/happyhooder/Addco_2073_Celica01_03RSB.jpg

JennB
08-16-2006, 06:50 AM
I really don't think there is any strength issue with a hollow bar. It's all I've ever used and never had a single problem. The biggest benefit to a hollow bar is weight savings.

Hollow bars are usually a little biggger around overall and have the same effective rates as a slightly smaller solid bar, just without the same weight.

happyhooder
08-16-2006, 08:23 AM
weight is a concern for me... but i'm willing to sacafice... but this bar is the same thickness compare to the other one so this should be a bit stiffer which would be good...

thanks

§treet_§peed
08-16-2006, 10:57 AM
are you getting that bar form E-bay?? if so i think i know the guy your buying it from because of the business card in that pic, lol well i mean i've bought a few things from him...good guy though, he was great with commmunicating and answering any question..that is of course if it's the same guy..but yeah if your getting it from ebay, what's the sellers name?

happyhooder
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
i think he does things on ebay... but i deal with him directly... he is a good guy, and seller...