PDA

View Full Version : Misc FLEAS!!!!!! HELP

kittychick
08-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Help, we can't get rid of the damn things.
They must be in the carpets.... b/c the dogs just had their flead drops put on them (been using Advantex for 3 years on my dog and its worked like a charm- I still haven't seen any fleas on him)

the back of the house is a few hundred yards (maybe closer) to a very thick forest with deer and all kinds of animals... there are two cats that are occationally let into the house by members of the family which shall be un-named- but I also just put flea drops on them too (Frontline I think)

but Chase and Otis- I've seen fleas on both of them

we've vaccumed them up -the fleas (need to do more I'm sure)
sprayed the carpet with treatment after vaccuming
and I just gave all 3 dogs a bath this weekend

I don't know what eles to do! they're driving me nutts (I the dogs scratching and stuff) my mom had them at her house and it took her forever to get rid of them- infact I think she moved from the appt they were living in while the house was being built)

HELP!

any other ideas guys?????

devin
08-15-2006, 01:57 PM
fumugate(sp?)

kittychick
08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
the animals you spread in the earth around your house? (like a worm thingy)
sorry more info please

BTEC
08-15-2006, 02:00 PM
GO TO THE GROCERY STORE OR SUPERMARKET HOWEVER U WANT TO CALL IT AND GET THE FLEA SPRAY IN THE PURPLE CAN. ITS ONLY FOR FLEAS. NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK. GET LIKE 3 CANS AND SPRAY EVERYTHING BC IF U MISS SOEMTHING THEY WILL BE BACK. THEY MULTIPLY LIEK CRAZY.

kittychick
08-15-2006, 02:03 PM
purple can you say... ok I'll try- if it doens't work; I'll send you an invoice ;)

I've read online you have to keep treating the area for them b/c they adults are effected by the 'sprays' but not the eggs, so you have to continue through their "life cycle" for several weeks

kittychick
08-15-2006, 02:04 PM
btw- what the hell a fleas good for anyways? damn birds don't even eat them, do they?

kittychick
08-15-2006, 02:05 PM
garlic too- I've been feeding the dogs extra garlic- I read online that it helps keep fleas away

The Ren
08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
the problem your having is your getting the adult fleas but not the larve or eggs and then once the hatch and mature your getting more adult fleas. Use the capstar with will kill any adult flea on your pet within 36 hours.. then follow up with the sentinel or frontline will will kill the eggs and larve... then treat your house with the Adam Stuff.. its the best and you can get it at petsmart...

BTEC
08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
I DNT KNOW BUT THEY SUCK. WE HAD THEM REAL BAD IN FLORIDA AND THEY USED TO CHEW ME UP. I STILL GOT SCARS FROM THE BITE AND ME SCRATCHING THEM. SUNZ OH BITCHIZ.

THAT SHIT IS LIKE 7 DOLLARS FOR A CAN AND IT HAS A BIG ASS FLEA ON THE FRONT, CANT MISS IT.

The Ren
08-15-2006, 02:08 PM
i had to do the above when someone brought fleas into my new house..

kittychick
08-15-2006, 02:16 PM
capstar~I forgot about that!
I should call the vet and get- sigh- a few pills

...what about the individual dog's immune system?
my dog (plenty of worm treatments as a puppy) but never any real pest problems on him- he's showed a pretty healthy immune system
but what about an under weight dog? low immune system could make him an easy target? (he's over a year old now) could he be bringing them into the house? (I mean there were tons of eggs at the base of his tail when I gave him a bath this weekend- with flea shampoo) and like I said I didn't see any eggs on my 3 year old dog

The Ren
08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
capstar~I forgot about that!
I should call the vet and get- sigh- a few pills

...what about the individual dog's immune system?
my dog (plenty of worm treatments as a puppy) but never any real pest problems on him- he's showed a pretty healthy immune system
but what about an under weight dog? low immune system could make him an easy target? (he's over a year old now) could he be bringing them into the house? (I mean there were tons of eggs at the base of his tail when I gave him a bath this weekend- with flea shampoo) and like I said I didn't see any eggs on my 3 year old dog

possibly.. but if hes got "sweeter blood" sort of speak (meaqning the fleas may just like him as a home better) you gotta get rid of the eggs.. flea shampoo only works on the adult fleas.. hence why i mentioned sentinel or frontline.. they are the only two that will do the larve and eggs

kittychick
08-15-2006, 02:40 PM
well...
Frontline does not kill eggs: http://www.dog.com/flea.asp?Category=Flea%20%26%20Tick but... it looks like Advantix doesn't either- DAMN!

Frontline Plus- kills the eggs

The Ren
08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
frontline plus does.. is the only frontline we sell

The Ren
08-15-2006, 02:43 PM
i would never use bio-spot.. ever though

edit: here is sentinels official page
http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/cab/sentinel.shtml

Our novartis rep is awesome and we have monthly lunch seminars with her on new breakthroughs they come out with.. their products are some of the best on the animal health market..

kittychick
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
sigh... so we're on the right path... its just an up hill battle

The Ren
08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Yep.. it takes awhile.. but its the best way to do it to get rid of them for good

kittychick
08-15-2006, 02:59 PM
ok... so lets make it clear:
step 1.capstar
step 2. go for frontline plus (to kill the flea eggs)
step 3. spray and vac carpets with purple can
step 4. repeat step 3 every 2 weeks? is that too often with the flea killing can?

"The average life span of an adult flea is probably about 6 weeks - but fleas can live as long as a year under certain conditions. A female flea can lay 20 to 28 eggs a day."
wow! damn bastards are going down!

The Ren
08-15-2006, 06:33 PM
i would do your capret every 3 weeks.. and capstar is very safe so you could use it every day if you have to (although i wouldnt recommended)

4GPVR4
08-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Someone told me they have had sucess with this product:

http://www.fleabuster.com/

The Ren
08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
It still doesnt kill the egss and if you dont kill them... your going to continue to have the problem...

'chell
08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
k, i work for a pest control company, and for $150 we can treat the house, 2 step
process done 10 days a part, or...

you can go to "do it yourself pest control" and get a 2 cans of Ultracide
1-Vacum and mop well first
2-pull all the pillows off chairs and sofa
3-Just spray in a sweeping motion, start at the back of the house and work towards the door. (you have to be gone couple of hours after)
you have to get all the crack and crevices of all the furniture as well as at the baseboards. Spray everything, carpet, hardwood floors, ceramic, whatever. Pets bedding also. Pay attention to the legs of the furniture.
Won't take long at all.
4- vacum EVERYDAY (if it is a canister, dump it into a ziplock and take to the trash outside, if it is a bag, throw it away every other day)
5- 10 days later, do it again and keep the vacuming up for 10 more days after that.

One can should do it per treatment unless you have more than 2000 sq ft.
then you will be good to go... gl

P.S. if you have birds, fish, snakes, or lizards in the house lmk, i will tell you what to do with them before you treat

kittychick
08-17-2006, 08:00 PM
^sweet!
Thanks for the FYI on the DIY :D

We found a flea on Chase again- damn dog is a vacation spot listed somewhere in the middle of a busy flea city :lmfao:

'chell
08-18-2006, 01:38 PM
anytime

brads94accord
08-20-2006, 02:47 PM
There is a spray that we bought from home depot to kill them. I think its made by zep. We came home from vacation one year and our basement was full of them. My dad and I would walk in and look down a minute later and we could see them on our legs. We tried the bug bombs but they didn't work. that spray stuff did. you have to apply it every day i think. It looks like a bottle w/ a tube and spray nozzle on the end..kind like a thing of roundup. You just have to spray it everywhere.

4GPVR4
08-20-2006, 06:19 PM
It still doesnt kill the egss and if you dont kill them... your going to continue to have the problem...

Good point. Not worth it if you don't take care of the eggs.

kittychick
08-21-2006, 08:54 AM
yeah, you guys are all right! damn flea eggs

we've put frontline plus on the little dog- he was the one on which the fleas and flea eggs were showing up
and I gave both of them a bath yesterday... didn't get to the vaccuming- that's today's task