PDA

View Full Version : Help: Subaru EXPLOSION!!!

XanRules
08-13-2006, 05:49 PM
As I was driving around today, I revved my engine, and started to smell smoke. This has happened before, but it usually went away. When I got home, I opened up my hood, and a hose over the Catalytic Converter was split, and it was spewing all kinds of crap around - the smoke was from the crap landing on the Catalytic Converter. Anyway, I'm wondering what it was that broke, and how much it is to repair -- and most importantly, if I can still drive for a while until I can afford to get this fixed - like, 24 hours.

Thanks!

Sorry I have no pictures, camera's broken.

Nemesis
08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Was this on a WRX? Legacy? We need more info?

Cat under the car? I wouldnt drive it around too much if there is no exhaust flow and its clogged. Take a hacksaw to that shit right now, and get a new exhaust at a shop tommorrow.

XanRules
08-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Oh, yeah, sorry, that would help. It's a '93 Legacy Wagon. Manual. Everything is stock. I managed to drive around for quite a while after the smell started, nothing bad happened.

The exhaust still works, it's just that shit was landing on top of the Converter.

As an aside, my engine looks friggin' nasty - what's a good, cheap way to get it cleaned?

§treet_§peed
08-13-2006, 07:09 PM
pressure washer...:D

XanRules
08-13-2006, 07:11 PM
I doubt that's a good idea.

XanRules
08-13-2006, 07:12 PM
But do you guys think I can drive this for about an hour tomorrow? I need to get to and from school.

scttydb411
08-13-2006, 07:33 PM
you know something isn't right don't push it. if something major is wrong you could really do more damage, have an accident, hurt yourself/someone else or worse.

hitch a ride, take a cab, or skip, but don't drive your car.

XanRules
08-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Alright, thanks for the input, guys