PDA

View Full Version : Misc Vet questions LooK!!

SLow_POke
08-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi

as some of you know I bought my wifey a rat terrier a week ago. but just recently he gotten the runs(diarrhea) and bloody somethings. i was looking for a pet clinic or vet around the area west GA, inexpensive if possible. if not im going to have to go to the clinic that gonna charge us over 100 jsut to see him . its not a big dela to pay for the threatment. just want the pup to get better.

he has;nt shown any different signs of been sick just his stool watery and bloody .

any help would be great. i been searchignt he web all day looking for a good vet that wont brake my wallet .PLEASE let me know

thanks

-Ernie

kittychick
08-13-2006, 05:44 PM
what kind of food are you feeding him? what brand?

I was feeding my puppy food that was corn based and he couldnt digest it, so it was giving him runny stool.

The Ren
08-13-2006, 05:52 PM
has he had all of his vaccines? had he ever been dewormed? There are numerous things that cause bloody diarrhea and parvo and worms are the two main causes.. all puppys have hookworms and roundworms when they are born.. but if he hasnt had all of his vaccines or if you havnt been taking him on time there is a possiblity of parvo..My vet charges $35 for an exam if your willing to drive out here to braselton.. but even banfields charge only like $40 for an exam, if.. I would definatly take him to a vet ASAP

kittychick
08-13-2006, 06:27 PM
^^the puppy is 8 weeks old and the owner said that the puppy was scheduled to get his second round of shots this weekend

Ernie,
this behavior in a puppy is pretty common and could be worms (we fought them for about a year of and on, but I lived in an appt complex with lots of dogs and most people wouldn't pick up after their pets) which means an infected animal can transfer through their droppings

parvo is far less common and a very serious issue- leading to death (online research has lots of info on this)

the best option would be to take your dogy to a vet... there are so many possiblities to what ills him

I drive to Cumming to go to a vet $16/visit (about 30mins north of Atl; not on the west side of Atl) but, I think for now you want to take him wherever asap

but eventually, when you're at the petsuper market and ask other dog owners where they go; you'll get a good mix of answers and before you go, call up the office, or go in for a visit- just to check out the place
you should feel very comfortable with your vet and clinic :D

SLow_POke
08-13-2006, 07:45 PM
^^the puppy is 8 weeks old and the owner said that the puppy was scheduled to get his second round of shots this weekend

Ernie,
this behavior in a puppy is pretty common and could be worms (we fought them for about a year of and on, but I lived in an appt complex with lots of dogs and most people wouldn't pick up after their pets) which means an infected animal can transfer through their droppings

parvo is far less common and a very serious issue- leading to death (online research has lots of info on this)

the best option would be to take your dogy to a vet... there are so many possiblities to what ills him

I drive to Cumming to go to a vet $16/visit (about 30mins north of Atl; not on the west side of Atl) but, I think for now you want to take him wherever asap

but eventually, when you're at the petsuper market and ask other dog owners where they go; you'll get a good mix of answers and before you go, call up the office, or go in for a visit- just to check out the place
you should feel very comfortable with your vet and clinic :D

yes i did a research and thats why i got more concern about it in my 8 years owning dogs i never had this problem. but even though its gonna put a dent in my wallet hes going to the vet tommorrow.

he also has all his shots up top date:goodjob: . i really dont think its parvo because hes not showing other systems of parvo, but im not a vet:no: LoL.

I also read that this could be because of his anciety(spl?). new sorroundings and what not .
the only thing that gets me it that he doesnt seem to be sick he run jumps play liek nothing wrong

THANK U c boz, you been extremly helpfull on a my questions here and other threads,

-Ernie

SLow_POke
08-13-2006, 07:48 PM
has he had all of his vaccines? had he ever been dewormed? There are numerous things that cause bloody diarrhea and parvo and worms are the two main causes.. all puppys have hookworms and roundworms when they are born.. but if he hasnt had all of his vaccines or if you havnt been taking him on time there is a possiblity of parvo..My vet charges $35 for an exam if your willing to drive out here to braselton.. but even banfields charge only like $40 for an exam, if.. I would definatly take him to a vet ASAP

hes going to a vet in the moring thanks for the concerns i really do appreciate the input.
he has all his shots up to date so im just going to leave it up to the test they run tommorrow .

i will post up as his progress gets better

thanks again

-Ernie

The Ren
08-13-2006, 09:44 PM
hes going to a vet in the moring thanks for the concerns i really do appreciate the input.
he has all his shots up to date so im just going to leave it up to the test they run tommorrow .

i will post up as his progress gets better

thanks again

-Ernie

im not trying to scare you about parvo but working at a vet for the past 5-6 years but I see dogs come in all the time with vomiting and bloody diarrhea with no other signs of parvo... you may have cought it early.. but
your doing the best thing by bringing the dog to the vet.. if its 8 weeks old and has only had one set of vaccines.. its a possibility... please keep me updated

kittychick
08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
yes i did a research and thats why i got more concern about it in my 8 years owning dogs i never had this problem. but even though its gonna put a dent in my wallet hes going to the vet tommorrow.

he also has all his shots up top date:goodjob: . i really dont think its parvo because hes not showing other systems of parvo, but im not a vet:no: LoL.

I also read that this could be because of his anciety(spl?). new sorroundings and what not .
the only thing that gets me it that he doesnt seem to be sick he run jumps play liek nothing wrong

THANK U c boz, you been extremly helpfull on a my questions here and other threads,

-Ernie
;) you're welcome!
an informed pet owner is the best thing for a pet dog!!

If you want to read an all around good book on pet dog care, get The Dog Whisperer by Paul Owens with Norma Eckroate
Trav got me this book as a gift and I've enjoyed reading it very much

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1580622038.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580622038/sr=8-4/qid=1155586029/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-3339719-7753539?ie=UTF8)
(clickable: amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580622038/sr=8-4/qid=1155586029/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-3339719-7753539?ie=UTF8 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580622038/sr=8-4/qid=1155586029/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-3339719-7753539?ie=UTF8)

SLow_POke
08-14-2006, 04:14 PM
im not trying to scare you about parvo but working at a vet for the past 5-6 years but I see dogs come in all the time with vomiting and bloody diarrhea with no other signs of parvo... you may have cought it early.. but
your doing the best thing by bringing the dog to the vet.. if its 8 weeks old and has only had one set of vaccines.. its a possibility... please keep me updated

well he went to the vet today seems the same but stool is alot better still a lil bloody but vet must be about it must be he his NEW sorroundings but he still gave him medicine and have to take him back on friday to make sure hes improving . he got his second shots on saturday . .
\

but welll see if he improves hopefully , if not hes going back before friday.

and thanks for the info. I know your not trying to scare me but its better to be informed:yes: .

-Ernie

SLow_POke
08-14-2006, 04:15 PM
;) you're welcome!
an informed pet owner is the best thing for a pet dog!!

If you want to read an all around good book on pet dog care, get The Dog Whisperer by Paul Owens with Norma Eckroate
Trav got me this book as a gift and I've enjoyed reading it very much

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1580622038.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580622038/sr=8-4/qid=1155586029/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-3339719-7753539?ie=UTF8)
(clickable: amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580622038/sr=8-4/qid=1155586029/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-3339719-7753539?ie=UTF8 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580622038/sr=8-4/qid=1155586029/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-3339719-7753539?ie=UTF8)

thanks im looking at the book now
=D

-Ernie

kittychick
08-14-2006, 07:26 PM
upset tummy on a puppy... nice

The Ren
08-14-2006, 08:58 PM
They did a fecal and everything and it came out ok?