PDA

View Full Version : SeaFoam does wonders

nunyadamnbiz
08-11-2006, 10:12 PM
SeaFoam is the greatest stuff ever i just put about 5oz in through my brake booster vacuum line, about 5oz in my crankcase, and the rest in my gas tank, cranked her up smoked like cheek and chong, and she purr's like kitten now, idles nice and smooth, cleaned out my throttle body and restored alot of "lost power"...now i just wait for about 500 miles and change the oil, and then again in like 1500 miles and good to go....anyone else heard of this or done it.....p.s. has been know to put the shot put to your spark plugs and wires,

NOTE: DO NOT PUT THE WHOLE CAN INTO YOUR VACUUM LINE---Chance of hydrolock....fyi........

Evil Goat
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
i was skeptical for a long time, but put some through my 97 cobra, the symptoms i had were it cutting off when engauging the clutch w/ the a/c on and low idle, raising the idle manually didnt help the car cutting off from the a/c, ran a can through the car, let it sit a while, fired it up and smoked like all hell took her around the block and by half way around my idle was back to where it should be and the car would purr w/ the a/c on when i engauged the clutch, i changed the plugs 2 days later just to be safe though and the same as above w/ the oil

5spdfrk
08-11-2006, 10:38 PM
From what I have read and gathered from other sites, is that it is good for low mileage engines. With high mileage engines it may remove some of the carbon that is helping to seal the older motor and thus cause new leaks and other issues.

Just a FYI.

BTW, how many miles were on you guys' motors?

nunyadamnbiz
08-12-2006, 01:11 PM
i have about 150K+ but its a babied toyota engine, so i'm fairly confident that it'll hold up, but i have heard of other ppl doing on their 200+ cars and it worked wonders, the stuff really is great....but yeah i heard it could unplug sorta speak some possible problems , but hey at least it'll bring them to my attention to fix, that is if i wanna spend the bucks, but yeah i am really pleased with this stuff

Georgia_boy
08-12-2006, 01:33 PM
been using the stuff for years now,
works great.

Georgia_boy
08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
been using the stuff for years now,
works great.
also use the deep creep thats made by them.

nunyadamnbiz
08-12-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah i heard about the deep creep whats that for, just like a lube like WD40 or Zep, shit like that......I put the deep creep in my ol' lady, and she loved it....lol...jk....is it just all purpose lube or sumptin

green91
08-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Toyota uses a product very similiar to seafoam, its done on all major maintenance services. Stuff works good.Your cobra problem sounds like it had a dirty IACV.

Bballjamal
08-12-2006, 04:45 PM
I've also been using seafoam for years! Alot of people sleep on how good the stuff works! It can be used in many ways to clean out alot of stuff in your car! Great product!

nunyadamnbiz
08-12-2006, 04:50 PM
for sure well, well worth the 5 bucks that the can cost and the 20 min. it took to put it in the booster line and wait.....lovin it...highly recomended

Evil Goat
08-14-2006, 01:27 AM
BTW, how many miles were on you guys' motors?

mine was at about 40k....and the iacv was fine, the idle was only low, not bouncing or anything, and the car would cut off w/ the a/c on, i could raise the idle manual just fine and fix that problem but it would still cut off w/ the a/c on....foaming fixed her up though, getting ready to do it on my wifes accord, it just hit 50k and its time to do a tuneup anyway

used the excess i had last time i used it in my lawnmower and got a little more pep out of that as well :D

johndial
08-18-2006, 01:16 AM
My teggy was sputtering pretty hard so I put NGK G-Powers in and it smooth out the idle like a... whatever, the idle is smooth now.

To complement the new plugs, I put a whole can in the tank during a fill up. Five seconds down the road, my gas needle a.k.a. "fuel gauge needle" pinned itself past the full point it hit 3 fill ups earlier.

Needless to say, whatever this stuff is doing inside whatever it's put in, IT'S DOIN' IT! Unfortunately, I can't say I got 50 mpg on that tank. I really don't recall noticing any mpg increase. I will run that stuff through my proper vacuum line and crankcase ASAP yo!

increase the peace,
IM OUT!

§treet_§peed
08-18-2006, 11:35 AM
hmm i might have to try tsome of this stuff..i jsut don't know exactly how to put it in where it needs to go...

99SI
08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
hmm i might have to try tsome of this stuff..i jsut don't know exactly how to put it in where it needs to go...
In most cases you can just put some in the gas tank with a fill up and it'll clean out injectors and the rest of the fuel system. If you got a really nasty motor that the oil was not changed on properly or you have an old motor with old bad fuel in it you can put it directly in the throttle body or put it in the oil fill and run it.

§treet_§peed
08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
well to clean out my fuel system, i all ready put 93 octane in my car all the time, so i jsut throw a gallon of denatured alcohol in there..boost the octane rating up to 106..and cleans out the enitre fuel system also lol..i just haven't done it in along time...need to but it's gonna be awhile since my DL's are suusspended and i've got no job...

babowc
08-18-2006, 06:59 PM
SeaFoam is the greatest stuff ever i just put about 5oz in through my brake booster vacuum line, about 5oz in my crankcase, and the rest in my gas tank, cranked her up smoked like cheek and chong, and she purr's like kitten now, idles nice and smooth, cleaned out my throttle body and restored alot of "lost power"...now i just wait for about 500 miles and change the oil, and then again in like 1500 miles and good to go....anyone else heard of this or done it.....p.s. has been know to put the shot put to your spark plugs and wires,

NOTE: DO NOT PUT THE WHOLE CAN INTO YOUR VACUUM LINE---Chance of hydrolock....fyi........

you need to change the oil after less than a couple minutes of driving.
you can put it into the brake booster line, as long as you keep the throttle opened up.. which you HAVE to anyways, since you need to suck the thing in.

i'd change that oil asap, if i were you.
it thins down the oil.

green91
08-18-2006, 07:13 PM
I wouldnt recommend putting it in your engine oil, if youve got any sludge accumulation in your engine it may strip it from the metal and end up in a bearing oil passage or clog your oil pickup screen.. plus im sure it changes the viscosity of the oil and may cause it to break down sooner.

however, it does work wonders when used through a vacuum line. ive also found that a good throttle plate and iacv clean does a very good job. it usually comes in an aerosol can and you can spray it in the passages to the IACV and to clean oil off from around the butterfly valve. i do this nearly daily on numerous differnet cars as part of toyota scheduled maintenance.

babowc
08-18-2006, 07:15 PM
it comes in aerosol can?
the only thing i bought was in a can.. just liquid.

but yes, take it out of the crank asap.

green91
08-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Throttle plate/induction cleaner does. Not seafoam.

nunyadamnbiz
08-24-2006, 11:14 PM
yeah it says to only put it in your crankcase for like 300-500 miles as it does thin it out...i changed mine after like 2 but i just let my car idle while it sucked it up the booster line...it'll stall if you submerge it all the way...just let it hover over a little cup or something....i put about 5oz of it through there.....so here's a recap

1. Remove the brake booster line and let the car idle while sucking up approx 5oz or so. Shut car off. Let it sit for like 15-20 mins.

2. (optional) dump about 3-4oz in your crankcase...if you do this change your oil after a couple hundred miles then again after like 1500 then resume normal changings.

3. Dump the rest of the can in your gas tank. I put in like 7gal up to like a half tank.

4. (optional) you can take off your intake hose and spray some throttle body cleaner into your butterfly valve...car may take a minute to turn over so i would do this before all the seafoam biz.....just a mental note

5. OK now crank your car up and watch all the smoke pour out of your car like that part of cheech and chongs when they are driving the van made out of weed.....seriously it'll smoke like a bitch....then just drive it around for a little bit at a slightly higher rpm....(i dont think any of us have any problems doing that)

like i said this will not give you magic hp but it will bring back some of that "lost" power, worked great for me

cardesignz
08-26-2006, 11:41 PM
On the subject of seafoam - here's a link to a video of some kids using it in an unsafe manner:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1049842247

twinj
08-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know if it is okay to use on turbo cars

green91
08-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Yes its fine for turbo cars.

nunyadamnbiz
08-27-2006, 09:23 PM
what a bunch of idiots in that clip....i wonder if they would think it was funny if someone got into a serious accident because they couldnt see.....

F22B2slow
09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
i couldn't get that video ta work, the sound played though. anyways this seafoam bullshit sounds like its actuall work a hoot..... so where the hell do i get it?

Evil Goat
09-06-2006, 10:11 PM
most parts stores carry it, i got mine at oreillys, but i think advance has it as well