PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Whining.

3ll3nwood
08-11-2006, 10:15 AM
For realz, that ho won't shut up.

But for real, I drive my Miata about 45 miles back and forth to work down 675/285/75. I got this transmission whine that gets pretty annoying sometimes, other times I dont notice it. But, if I'm in fifth gear crusing down 75 it whines. Its not real loud but it's there and noticeable.

Question :

DO I need a rebuild now? Car has about 139,000 miles on it. Definitely the original tranny in there. I had the transmission/gear oil flushed about 800 miles ago. I thought that would stop the whine but it didn't.

SHould I get a rebuild or should I just get a new transmission? (MazMart).
Whats a rebuild on this transmission gunna cost me.

Thanks for any help. :yes:

Cool Cat Racing
08-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Its best to get another transmission. You can rebuild it but it will cost more than its really worth. Are you sure the whine is coming from your tranny and not the rear end? Second what oil was used when they flushed it. I personally only use RP 75W90 in all our miata's in both the rear end and the tranny. If its still shifting fine you probably don't need a new tranny, the synchros generally die before anything else in the tranny.

brads94accord
08-11-2006, 11:49 AM
also sometimes if you dont change tranny fluid in a long time and then all of a sudden change it, it can shock the transmission...just from the viscosity change from worn out fluid to new fluid. that may be the cause of it.