PDA

View Full Version : Misc Other religions P.O.V. on Creation/Evolution

Romeyo07
08-02-2006, 07:06 AM
We've heard the Christian vs. Darwin arguement, but what do other religions believe how the universe got into its place? This is not a Christian vs. Darwin thread.

ShooterMcGavin
08-02-2006, 08:41 AM
don't think i've heard of any so someone pipe up so i can feel less ignant today :D

Hulud
08-02-2006, 01:57 PM
don't think i've heard of any so someone pipe up so i can feel less ignant today :D
thats impossible :D

but on the real, if you think about it the 3 major religions (christianity, judiasm, islam) are all based on teh same god, so i doubt there will be much of a different answer

~The_Duke~
08-02-2006, 06:16 PM
what about buddhism...I thought we had atleast one of them floating round here...I mean after all this is an import site...

Decker1.8t
08-02-2006, 06:22 PM
thats impossible :D

but on the real, if you think about it the 3 major religions (christianity, judiasm, islam) are all based on teh same god, so i doubt there will be much of a different answer

Hinduism is ranked above judaisim.

JennB
08-02-2006, 07:56 PM
From what I know, of course Chrsitanity and Judaism are pretty similar. Islam is sort of similar but I think they believe that Allah created everything in six day. Buddhism, I think, has a much more laid back approach and accepts that the Earth has been here for millions of years. The things that start the Buddist religion are said to have happened well into the existence of humans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think that is a very basic idea of it.

ShooterMcGavin
08-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Buddhism, I think, has a much more laid back approach and accepts that the Earth has been here for millions of years. The things that start the Buddist religion are said to have happened well into the existence of humans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think that is a very basic idea of it.

:stupid: :goodjob:

Hulud
08-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Hinduism is ranked above judaisim.
on a world scale, yes

but how many people do we have on this site who are not A.american citizens or B. live in the US

its the top three in teh US which is what i was implying

JennB
08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Hinduism is quite different and more complex. There is no single story of creation, more like a cycle of creation and distruction all involving Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva in their respective roles.

Hulud
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Brahma is the creator, Vishnu or Krishna is the preserver, and Shiva is the destroyer.

so my guess would be that Brahma created it all. i know that they believe in karma and you keep being reborn until you reach moksha (i think) then they become one with everything, right? i remember some of this from a class i took last semester but im not sure if im getting it confused with another religion.

Mchnhead2k5
08-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Hinduism is quite different and more complex. There is no single story of creation, more like a cycle of creation and distruction all involving Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva in their respective roles.

Actually most Hindus believe in one God, Brahman (the cause and foundation of life). BUT the western world categorizes Hinduism as a polytheistic religion b/c Hindus represent Brahman in the three roles that you have described.

Brahma: The Creator
Vishnu: The Preserver
Shiva: The Destroyer

And within each of these three roles are more "gods" that are worshipped/represented.

Also Hinduism spawned Buddhims and Sikhism (I think also has some Islamic roots as well)

JennB
08-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I know but I was just trying to be basic. It's one entity so to speak but three roles.

Mchnhead2k5
08-03-2006, 11:05 AM
yep you go through the cycle until you reach Moksha (nirvana in buddhism) and released into what Christians would call heaven.

Mchnhead2k5
08-03-2006, 11:07 AM
And no Shiva the destroyer isn't like a devil. just everything has to have an end for something to be created.

Hulud
08-03-2006, 11:07 AM
yep you go through the cycle until you reach Moksha (nirvana in buddhism) and released into what Christians would call heaven.
i thought the hindus heaven and hell were only temporary untill they reached moksha and became a part of everything (i forget what they called it)
you know what everything is made up of, or am i getting this comfused with another religion?

Mchnhead2k5
08-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Well technically heaven and hell do not exist in traditional Hinduism, as with most religions it becomes modified or celebrated a different way (some Hindus believe in a Christian like heaven). The more times one is reincarnated the more one is not Enlightened with Brahman. Like you said once you reach moksha and become part of everything to some this is a "heaven". i hope that made sense.

Mchnhead2k5
08-03-2006, 11:38 AM
the cool part is my parents didn't force Hinduism on me or my 2 sisters. They just let us grow up and decide what we wanted to believe in for ourselves, which i superly love them for. well i'm out to partake in this tax-free weekend.

JennB
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
My mother gave me a huge book of world religions with details and beliefs and scripture from all religions and pretty much said "Be anything you want, or be none of them, it's your choice"

ShooterMcGavin
08-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Actually most Hindus believe in one God, Brahman (the cause and foundation of life). BUT the western world categorizes Hinduism as a polytheistic religion b/c Hindus represent Brahman in the three roles that you have described.

Brahma: The Creator
Vishnu: The Preserver
Shiva: The Destroyer

And within each of these three roles are more "gods" that are worshipped/represented.

Also Hinduism spawned Buddhims and Sikhism (I think also has some Islamic roots as well)

hey, kinda like the holy trinity? :lmao:

Mchnhead2k5
08-03-2006, 02:48 PM
If holy trinity is the father, son, and the holy ghost then yes. Except Hinduism has been around waaaay before Christianity.